Dented and scratched tank! Wtf?

BIKE DUDE

Donating Member
Registered
I got home tonight and found that a small gas grill had fallen out of the loft storage in the garage and landed smack dab on my new K8.:banghead: WTF!!!! Man am I freaking out and pissed. How does this crap always happen to my stuff? It seems like I can't have anything nice without it getting F'ed up. A small dent and a bunch of scrapes right on the top side of the tank. Nobody was home or has touched stuff up there and yet it happened.??? It could have fallen any where else in the entire garage but noooooo......it's gotta hit my bike. Has anyone had to do any paint work on an orange 08 and how hard is it to match the paint? The dent is right on the right side body line of the tank and the scratches come within an inch or two of the gas fill cap and about 6 inches above the red and black stripe. Can a good body man match and blend the paint in that small of an area with out having to get into the stripes? Does Suzuki sell paint that will TOTALLY match or am I better off having the body shop try to get a paint match? I know they can sorta take a digital pic and have a computer analyze and match it but what about all the metallic and stuff in this orange paint? I'm devastated!!!!!

Sorry to hear about the gremlin in your garage.
of course I have no helpful info, but usually thats the crap that happens to me. As far as matching the paint, a good shop can match it.

Had the same thing pretty much happen on a show truck I had just finished, Put it in the garage and when I was closing the door the damn garage door came off the track and the bottom of the door folded up into the roll pan. I feel your pain, and damn those gremlins.

Sure hate that for you. I have anout the same luck as you it seems. Shouldn't be too hard to get fixed, but i know it still pisses you off.:cussing:

Sorry for your accident. I dropped a 2x4 in my garage and dented my tank once. I had moved the bike to a "safer place" just before it happened.

Sorry to hear. Get yourself a Bagster tank protector and cover it right up! That's what I did. 3 yrs ago at the Bash, someone dented my tank & chipped off some of the paint. I got a Bagster tank cover and bag for Father's Day a couple of years ago; covers it up really nicely! ;)

Wow...sounds like you have about the same luck I have. Good luck on getting it fixed. Hope and wish you don't need too deep of pockets to get it looking like new :please: Or if you don't want to spent any money just dent it all the way in and just tell people your a stunter :rofl: J/K

Sorry to hear. Get yourself a Bagster tank protector and cover it right up! That's what I did. 3 yrs ago at the Bash, someone dented my tank & chipped off some of the paint. I got a Bagster tank cover and bag for Father's Day a couple of years ago; covers it up really nicely! ;)
Yeah, I thought of that but I've never been a big fan of putting something over one of the nicest, prettiest painted parts of the bike. If I did a lot of touring and it was needed and I would use it and it would be functional then I might consider it but I think that a tank bra is like having a beautiful wife and then hanging a pillow case over her head. I may still do this or something else to hide it until the end of the riding season and get it fixed this winter. I just wonder how hard it will be to match the paint with all the metallic in it and what not and if it can be blended properly in such a small area. I want it perfect, like new, like it never happened, like it was before. Not to sound like a baby but....this bike was...is...my baby. The first blemish is always the hardest. Man.....I am gonna loose sleep tonight.

Exactly what I was going to recommend.

Damn dude thats FKD UP BROTHER, i would be in tears, i feel your pain, HELL i think i might loose sleep tonight ater hearing this! im going out to my garage right now to check on all the $H!T my wife puts up there DAILY!!!! Hope all goes well for you on the repait:fire::firing:

THAT SUCKZZZZZZZZ .Man I'd be sick!!! But remember Grasshopper If you cant change the situation , change the attitude ( I know its easier said than done) .

I don't want to have to repaint the whole tank because of the red and black stripes on the side and how much more work that would be masking and repainting them. How much room is needed to blend the repaired area. Does Suzuki paint from the dealer match exactly? Years ago it didn't. I had to do a small repair on my dark blue 1988 Katana 1100 and the Suzuki paint was way too purple and so far off that it couldn't be blended in the small spot we were fixing. We had to redo it and sand further back to make for a bigger blend area and that meant getting into and having to replace a decal.:banghead:We tried tinting the Suzuki paint to get it closer but that didn't work so we ended up tossing it and getting a custom mix that still never matched exactly. This orange has a ton of metallic in it and it looks like a gold metallic not silver I think, and how do they know how much and what size metallic to use? Come on paint and body guys! give me an idea of which way to go with this paint. Should I try to get it from Suzuki and hope it matches or get it custom mixed and hope it matches. I only have about 6 inches to blend before the stripe or should I just paint the whole top of the tank down to the stripe edge? Can that edge then be sanded smooth and cleared over so that there won't be a lip or raised edge there. If I hadn't had issues with the stock Suzuki paint on my other bike I wouldn't be so concerned about using it and having it match.:please:

Last edited:
Sorry to hear it, but I think the Bagster is the best option. Color-Rite is probably not an exact match and others have probably gotten close from a paint dealer, but still taking a chance. The Bagster would come matched to the lines of the tank and the lower fairings,s o I don't think it would take away from the view.

Back