DENT IN MY TANK FROM GOING DOWN

BLU88

Registered
Trying to find out if it is possible to get a dent out of a motorcycle tank? I think the motorcycle tanks are double walled. For all u body men out their, dont wanna have to buy a new tank.

thanks for all the input in advance.
i plan on repainting my bike this winter and i will be tanking the tank skin off.

How bad is the dent? I have seen a body guy heat the area and pressurize the tank with air and it got most of the dent out and some filler. I could be wrong but I don't think they are double walled

I have seen the same thing with air pressure. Find a local good autobody shop and ask them wha tthey can do.

Take it to a body shop. They can knock it out with no problem. They probably will have to repaint the tank though.

what Busabro said....

I never heard of the air pressure thing before....but it soundss a heckuva lot better than pounding the shid outta the tank.

PIC ONE

SIDEDENT.jpg

Hard to tell anything from those pics, but if the metal was hit hard enough it may be stretched too much to just pop back into shape.  Not sure if a body shop would try and heat up a fuel tank in order to shrink the metal due to safety concerns?

Here's one on Ebay that looks nice and I think it's even the correct color (assuming you're not going to change colors).
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymot....0169729

Never know, it might go cheap?

<!--EDIT|Turbo-Torch
Reason for Edit: None given...|1095737271 -->

Bah, nothin but Pussyfootin advice here...

OK Here's what you do. Get the tank off the busa and drain the tank. Then, take it out in the lawn and place about 3 table spoons of gasoline in the tank, close the lid, give it a good shake, and then let it sit for about 5 minutes. Once it has sat for a little bit light a Wooden Kitchen match, pop open your gas tank and drop that match right in there. Believe me, you'll no longer be worried about that dent.
wow.gif
laugh.gif

Otherwise Buy a second look tank skin or a Suzuki Bra, put it on there and forget all about that dent. If you can't see it, it isn't there.

Rev

LMAO Revlis. Just picturing someone actually doing that.
jump9.gif

that is what i have been doing , covering it up. but i dont always want a tank skin on there.

That is funny revlis. You know that is how you can mount a tire to a rim? we had to do it alot when i was a heavy machine mechanic. We would have tires that are about 2 ft wide and 10 ft tall. shoot about half a can of starting fluid in the tire, run a bead to the outside and light it. tire will blow on to the rim.

Most likely if the dent cannot be hammered or rubbed out from in the inside, they can spot weld a rod in the center of the dent and use a slide hammer to pull it out. Add a little bondo and paint. That way is prefered over actually drilling a hole and welding it shut later.

Back