dead battery

bone

Registered
i put a new YTZ14S battery in in may of this year. today i take a ride up the freeway to a shop, come out 20 mins later and the busa turns over very slow. i remember this problem from before with the stock battery. it will start when its cold but hot it sux. i put the gipro gear shift indicator on in jan. then i had to buy a battery in may, now looks like i need another one. has anybody experienced this?

bone
firedevil.gif

oh, and i ride the bike 1 to 2 times a week 60 mile round trip to work. so it's getting charged as well as it can i assume.

bone

The only problem I've had with the GIpro is that mine killed the ignition when I hit the rev limiter. The vendor replaced the unit and good-to-go.

What year Busa?? 99 to 02 had a problem with
hot starts. If it is a battery you should be able
to get a new one prorated or cheap..

Well I change my batterys EVERY year, EXCEPT this year (I decided to streach it for 2 years), because of some of YOU GUYS  
all_coholic.gif
!! So, last friday if fire up the Bike, ride 11 miles, stop for gas, get back on and ---------------------------------------------------- NOTHING !! Call a friend, haul the bike back and what do I find
rock.gif
? A COMPLETELY DEAD BATTERY !! Never again, I'am back to the every 12 months battery change. I really don't need a dead battery some lonesome night in the middle of NO WHERE !! Or for that, I don't need a dead battery in the DAY TIME in the middle of NO WHERE U.S.A.
blush.gif

If your only riding it 1 or 2 times a week, i'd invest in a battery tender. I have one and am still running the stock battery... its 27 months old now. If i know i'm not going to ride for a few days, i just plug it in... keeps the battery fresh. Also, make sure your not turning your ignition to far to the park position... that leaves your lights on.

(bone @ Oct. 02 2007,19:52) i put a new YTZ14S battery in in may of this year.  today i take a ride up the freeway to a shop,  come out 20 mins later and the busa turns over very slow.  i remember this problem from before with the stock battery.  it will start when its cold but hot it sux.  i put the gipro gear shift indicator on in jan.  then i had to buy a battery in may,  now looks like i need another one.  has anybody experienced this?  

bone
firedevil.gif
You know I just installed a Gipro myself, and have been wondering whats gonna happen to my battery...the directions said wire it directly to the battery, because it goes into "low drain" mode when the bike shuts off. It does turn off right after I shut the bike down, but I'm still wondering what long term effects it will have. I might wire it to a keyed hot wire down the road to insure no drainage.....we'll see
wink.gif

(bone @ Oct. 02 2007,19:52) i put a new YTZ14S battery in in may of this year.  today i take a ride up the freeway to a shop,  come out 20 mins later and the busa turns over very slow.  i remember this problem from before with the stock battery.  it will start when its cold but hot it sux.  i put the gipro gear shift indicator on in jan.  then i had to buy a battery in may,  now looks like i need another one.  has anybody experienced this?  

bone
firedevil.gif
I'm having the same problem, but I didn't relate it to my GIPRO! I've just put in a new battery 235 CCA 14s! And I'm still having the same problem. I thought maybe it was my starter or something else. I'm currently trouble shooting. I have a 02 Busa with 22,000 miles:)!! But I'm scratching my head on this one!!!

(NCpanther01 @ Oct. 03 2007,18:36)

bone
firedevil.gif
I'm having the same problem, but I didn't relate it to my GIPRO!  I've just put in a new battery 235 CCA 14s!  And I'm still having the same problem.  I thought maybe it was my starter or something else.  I'm currently trouble shooting. I have a 02 Busa with 22,000 miles:)!!  But I'm scratching my head on this one!!!
Unhook your Gipro and see if thats the prob. You can live without a gear indicator for a short time can't you?
tounge.gif
Maybe that'll be the issue...and if not its one more thing you can rule out
wink.gif

I have both the GiPro and the Scorpio alarm system.

I didn't link it to either one, but I installed a switch underneat the passenger seat/hump, after having experienced dead batteries:

- With the switch on, the battery drains in about 2 weeks of non-use.

- With the switch off, the bike can still be started after 6 weeks of non-use.

I assume that factory equipped, the battery drain is minimal to zero.

The GiPro states in their manual that there is a minimal battery drain during periods of non-usage.

(BayBusa @ Oct. 03 2007,19:21) I have both the GiPro and the Scorpio alarm system.

I didn't link it to either one, but I installed a switch underneat the passenger seat/hump, after having experienced dead batteries:

- With the switch on, the battery drains in about 2 weeks of non-use.

- With the switch off, the bike can still be started after 6 weeks of non-use.

I assume that factory equipped, the battery drain is minimal to zero.

The GiPro states in their manual that there is a minimal battery drain during periods of non-usage.
+1

Common sense people...if you ride 10 miles the battery should be charged to its peak and turn the engine over FAST. If it doesn't you have a charging problem, faulty starter, ignition timing off ect.
If you have high parasitic draw from an accessory like a Gipro, the hard/slow start is going to happen on a stone cold engine after the bike has sat for days.

Any remote alarm system has to have a master on/off switch for periods of non use. There is ALWAYS current drain even when it's NOT armed because it's constantly monitoring for a signal from your remote.

Stock battery should go no less than 3 years. My 4th riding season is coming to a close and my factory original battery is still going strong. I've even drained it completely (more than once) when I forgot and left my alarm armed for several weeks.

(Turbo-Torch @ Oct. 03 2007,19:58) Common sense people...if you ride 10 miles the battery should be charged to its peak and turn the engine over FAST.  If it doesn't you have a charging problem, faulty starter, ignition timing off ect.
If you have high parasitic draw from an accessory like a Gipro, the hard/slow start is going to happen on a stone cold engine after the bike has sat for days.

Any remote alarm system has to have a master on/off switch for periods of non use.  There is ALWAYS current drain even when it's NOT armed because it's constantly monitoring for a signal from your remote.

Stock battery should go no less than 3 years.  My 4th riding season is coming to a close and my factory original battery is still going strong.  I've even drained it completely (more than once) when I forgot and left my alarm armed for several weeks.
I gotta admit...my 04 LE has the original battery in it and it hasn't been ran as much as it should. Still cranks fine, although lately it seems to lose its charge alittle quicker than it used to.

Back