battery tender issue

cityboy21

Registered
Here's one for you guy's. Bought a new pigtail for my battery tender jr yesterday to permanently hook up to the busa battery. Hooked the red to the red and the black to the black on the bikes battery. Routed the connector so it would be easy to get to. That was yesterday. Went out to install my GIPRO today and the bike is dead. Never had an issue before today with the battery. Can't see how the pigtail would draw from the battery seeing as it wasn't hooked up to anything. Didn't even plug in the tender jr. I know the GIPRO has a slight draw so that is the reason for the tender jr. There are no other electrical accessories on the bike. Any ideas? Maybe just coincidence that the battery crapped out the same day I hooked up the pigtails? Baffled. The bike is a 2006 that I bought used(2300 miles)so not sure if the battery is original or not.

Coincidnce.

The pig tail you hook to the batter has the postive pole protected and the pole that's exposed it the negative side. There is no reason the pig tail will cause that.

I can't image you introducing a short that would cause what you are experiencing.

Let us know what you find out...

Coincidence.

I have an '06 and had to replace the battery recently. These don't last as long as the battery in your car. I bought the Yausa for a perfect fit on replacement. Once you install the new one, you'll notice a big improvement in how easily the bike starts. By the way, I also installed the pigtail setup, just as you did. It works great for me!

My bike has always cranked right away but takes a second or 2 to fire up. I bought the bike from a HD dealership who mentioned the battery "might" have been replaced. It's a Yuasa so not sure if it's the original or not. They also said the oil "might" have been changed but that got done as soon as I got home. Where is anyone going locally to buy batteries? Sears any good? I have a local Honda shop but curious as to where others might be going. Definitely want a good battery in there. I use the bike to commute to work which is an hour away so really don't want to get stranded.

I think Pasnit has batteries for a good price. You might be able to find one a Walmart. If you order online you could always use the tender over night and ride the bike into work and if worse comes to worse, just push start the beast.

my 06 with a GipPro and Scorpio I-600 eats my battery in 2 weeks.

I am waiting on a new battery as we speak.

Yours is just coincidence.:beerchug:

Any time I get a used vehicle I do the oil and other fluids ASAP. I don't trust when they say "might". I want the reciepts from their service shop, or I request that they deduct the amount they charge for oil, filter and labor from the purchase price.

Ditto on the pigtail not causing the issue. Check everything else that connects to the battery.

Other than the stock neg and pos leads from the bike there is nothing else connected to the battery. Pigtails were the first addition. Looks like I'm shopping tomorrow. Hopefully the Honda shop has one in stock. I plan to keep it on a tender jr nightly as that's the reason for the pigtails. Wanted to hook up the GIPRO which is the reason for the nightly charges. At least this way I'll know the actual condition and age of the battery once replaced.

I've had the same pigtail on my bike for almost 2 years now with no problems. Like everyone says, just a coincidence that the battery died on the same day as you hooked your up.

Running anything additional.....GiPro, led's, 2nd cooling fan, alarm, coffee maker, hairdryer, calls for an upgrade....period. Find something with decent cca's and it'll make you a lot more confident in your Busa year-round. Add a battery tender and you can forget-about-it !!! :super:

It isn't the pigtail. Get a multimeter and check the voltage. It should be around 11.7 to 12.5 just sitting. Go to start the bike and watch the meter. When cranking the bike if the voltage drops to 9 volts or something like that then you know it's a problem. It's funny how a battery will go all of a sudden like. One day it works the next it doesn't. I've had it happen on my CBR. My Busa has a quality digiatl volt meter so I can see what's going on all the time. A good mod you don't hear much about. Wardie

It probably is just coincendence. Check the pigtail with an ohm meter for the heck of it; to rule that out. Plus I always hook up the positive lead first and/or unhook the negative first. No spark or arc.

It isn't the pigtail. Get a multimeter and check the voltage. It should be around 11.7 to 12.5 just sitting. Go to start the bike and watch the meter. When cranking the bike if the voltage drops to 9 volts or something like that then you know it's a problem. It's funny how a battery will go all of a sudden like. One day it works the next it doesn't. I've had it happen on my CBR. My Busa has a quality digiatl volt meter so I can see what's going on all the time. A good mod you don't hear much about. Wardie

The digital volt meter is a great idea and possibly the next mod.

take the battery & have it load tested, but it sounds like batt took a poop. standing voltage should be between 11.2 & 11.5. when you crank it, will fall to lo 10's, his 9's. anything below that is bad.

Back