Battery Tender issue

b4thenite

Donating Member
Registered
I purchased a BT jr. from the org. recommendations. My battery was cranking fine but I thought this could be a good investment. However, upon installing the BT Jr. for overnight, now the battery is completely dead. No crank at all. Actually, last night I noticed the battery was not cranking enough, and I couldn't get the bike start. I assumed I needed more time to plug the tender. (although I should have been suspicious of the battery draining it's power )

Now I have a completely dead battery and I put it on the charger for 12v2amp mode. I'm not sure if I can revive the battery.

Any idea what went wrong?

By the way, hope you all had blessing holiday.

a battery tender with a switch? mine does not have switches.. or did you get a battery charger?

anyway, either not connected or defective unit.. could be the connection is dirty, backwards or the unit is no good..

keep in mind a charger is worlds apart from a battery tender.. one is designed to cycle the battery and keep it charged, the other is simply a charger..

I have heard that a battery tender will not work if the battery is very low or fully discharged.
Anyone else hear this?

I have heard that a battery tender will not work if the battery is very low or fully discharged.
Anyone else hear this?

actually, i've put my battery on the tender over-night after leaving the key on for too long playing with lighting and things, and it brought it right back with no problems.

I purchased a BT jr. from the org. recommendations. My battery was cranking fine but I thought this could be a good investment. However, upon installing the BT Jr. for overnight, now the battery is completely dead. No crank at all. Actually, last night I noticed the battery was not cranking enough, and I couldn't get the bike start. I assumed I needed more time to plug the tender. (although I should have been suspicious of the battery draining it's power )

Now I have a completely dead battery and I put it on the charger for 12v2amp mode. I'm not sure if I can revive the battery.

you may want to buy some electolyte and recycle the battery. that should bring it back around. any auto-parts store should carry electrolyte

Your battery should be sealed. If by some chance it is not, DO NOT ADD MORE ELECTROLYTE. Only distilled water to bring the cells to the correct level.

Like Mr. Bogus said if the battery tender isn't getting power from the outlet, its defective, or hooked up wrong, it will actually draw power from your battery instead of maintaining it. Plus the battery tender jr only puts out 600 milli-amps I believe (half an amp), so its not really going to do any charging, just maintaining. The regular battery tender is a charger/maintainer :thumbsup:

you may want to buy some electolyte and recycle the battery. that should bring it back around. any auto-parts store should carry electrolyte
ok not to start any pizzing matches here but I would not suggest this unless the bike was say tipped over or the battery got drained.. battery acid does NOT evaporate.. only the water does..

Batteries typically die from "lead sulfate" it coats the plates and inhibits the chemical reaction that creates the "electricity"

The other issue is that the sulfate flakes off over time and fills the bottom of the battery cell (reason for the void down there) and it eventually reaches the bottom of the plates and shorts the battery out..

NEITHER condition is fixed by replacing the acid and you are just going to waste your time and money.. IF the battery is the issue, it is just time for a new one IMHO..

A battery tender / maintainer will bring the charge back to level, but not if the battery is dead or shorted. A charger might. Check, and validate your wiring. Sounds like you've shorted something.

I put the battery on the charger, and it won't charge it enough to turn the engine. I bought the damn tender to increase battery life, and now I have to get a new battery.

My battery tender jr. has a fuse on the 12+ end, if I hook it up backwards the fuse will blow. I have 2, 1 on my bike and another on my mower, never a problem with either of them.

When it's charging the red lite is on, when the fuse blows the red lite blinks.

I dont think the jr killed your battery.

I put the battery on the charger, and it won't charge it enough to turn the engine. I bought the damn tender to increase battery life, and now I have to get a new battery.
How old is your battery and which one is it? My first battery lasted about two years and then it was shot. Buy a premium battery if you have to replace the old one.

Contact Daniel (Goldenchild), he just hooked me up with the upgrade / premium battery....awesome !!! :super:

Contact Daniel (Goldenchild), he just hooked me up with the upgrade / premium battery....awesome !!! :super:
yup... and do check the inline fuse too... I changed mine to a 10amp so I could also run my "air pump" off the same plugin..

The only way the battery tender will discharge the battery is if it's connected to the battery and it's not plugged into AC. What does the status light indicate?

Back