Battery drained? Need battery tender?

88turborx7

Registered
I just installed a Scorpio SR-I900 on Saturday and a Power Commander yesterday. This morning I went to start my bike and it only turned over two or 3 times and then went dead. I tried it a couple more times and it only cranked over once. I checked the battery voltage and I got 11.4 V. Could it be these two devices drained my battery in less than 2 days? Does that mean I would need a battery tender? If so which one would be best:

the Battery Tender 12V 1.25amp
Battery Tender Plus - Batterytender.com

or the Battery Tender Junior 12V 0.75amp?
Battery Tender Junior 12V @ 0.75A - Motorcycle - Batterytender.com

1st - a Battery Tender is always a good idea! Get the pigtail and install it under your hump or seat and the convienience factor will be off the charts... depending on your alarm, and how you hooked it up it could be a direct and constant battery draw... I know that when I had an alarm on Bessie with all my gadgets, I had to have mine on a tender constantly... additionally, since Bessie is an '01, the way I ride had an effect; the charging system for Gen 1s only works above 4500 rpm... so it could be several things all factored together... Long story short, go for the plus! :)

MCM

I agree with Mustang that alarm probably has a constant draw. Hit up Pashnit I think he has the batt.tender for a good price :thumbsup:

Nope... just need to ride it everyday..
I installed my LEDs and HIDs.. and boom a day or two later it was dead.

Got a tender worked great. Now I only use it one the 3rd or 4th day of not riding...

I use the pigtails to power my LEDs and my lighter socket..

Sent from my HERO200 using Tapatalk

If your battery was on the border line of being charged, or the border line of being good, and you had an alarm staying connected for a number of day, then it is possible your battery crossed that border line of being able to start the bike. However, the alarm is only a slightly contriguting, but not the main factor in your issue.

Just to be sure, I would see how much mA your alarm draws from the bike - when disarmed and when armed. When I installed mine (about 5 years ago), I measure and when disarmed it drew about 5 mA, and when armed it was around 8 mA. If it's more than that I would insist on the replacement. I did have one which initially drew something around 10mA when disarmed and Scorpio confirmed that was too much and sent a replacement.

Figure the math, if armed the alarm draws 8 mA. For the day, it will use up 8 mA x 24 = 192 mA = 0.192 mA = approx 0.2 Ah

So, for a week this will be 0.2 Ah x 7 = 1.4 Ah. Now, a regular battery capacity is about 9 Ah. If it's not new, or was not completely charged, it might be on the border line having the charge of let's say 5 Ah. A week goes by and you take away 1.4 Ah due to the alarm, and instead of 5 Ah you've got 5 - 1.4 = 3.6 Ah - could be not enough juice to start her up.

I just installed a Scorpio SR-I900 on Saturday and a Power Commander yesterday. This morning I went to start my bike and it only turned over two or 3 times and then went dead. I tried it a couple more times and it only cranked over once. I checked the battery voltage and I got 11.4 V. Could it be these two devices drained my battery in less than 2 days? Does that mean I would need a battery tender? If so which one would be best:

the Battery Tender 12V 1.25amp
Battery Tender Plus - Batterytender.com

or the Battery Tender Junior 12V 0.75amp?
Battery Tender Junior 12V @ 0.75A - Motorcycle - Batterytender.com
With the I900 alarm it auto arms as soon as you walk away from the bike. I'd disarm that feature unless you always want it armed even at home. But either way once you install an alarm you're going to have to use a battery tender full time. An alarm, even disarmed, can drain a full battery down enough within a couple of weeks of sitting that it won't start the bike. And an armed alarm can do that within days in the right conditions. Thats straight from Scorpio, they recommend the battery tender if the bike sits at all. Just what you gotta do with an alarm :laugh: I know I have one :whistle:

If your battery was on the border line of being charged, or the border line of being good, and you had an alarm staying connected for a number of day, then it is possible your battery crossed that border line of being able to start the bike. However, the alarm is only a slightly contriguting, but not the main factor in your issue.

Just to be sure, I would see how much mA your alarm draws from the bike - when disarmed and when armed. When I installed mine (about 5 years ago), I measure and when disarmed it drew about 5 mA, and when armed it was around 8 mA. If it's more than that I would insist on the replacement. I did have one which initially drew something around 10mA when disarmed and Scorpio confirmed that was too much and sent a replacement.

Figure the math, if armed the alarm draws 8 mA. For the day, it will use up 8 mA x 24 = 192 mA = 0.192 mA = approx 0.2 Ah

So, for a week this will be 0.2 Ah x 7 = 1.4 Ah. Now, a regular battery capacity is about 9 Ah. If it's not new, or was not completely charged, it might be on the border line having the charge of let's say 5 Ah. A week goes by and you take away 1.4 Ah due to the alarm, and instead of 5 Ah you've got 5 - 1.4 = 3.6 Ah - could be not enough juice to start her up.

+1 I have a SRi500 and it would drain the battery when left to sit for more than a week. I got a battery tender and no more problems, like it so much I bought 2 more for my other scooters! :thumbsup:

I use the Jr on the HD (factory alarm kills the battery) and the larger one on the boat. The Busa has no alarm yet.

If your battery is good, it'll probably just need the Jr. I think I gave around $30 at Pep Boys for it.

Back