Dead battery

macbusa

Registered
Went to the parking deck this afternoon to to ride home and the battery was dead. I got to work early this morning and probably left the ignition switch in park instead of lock. I was able to bump start the bike and rode it to the shop (time for the 600 mile checkup and now a battery charge). I guess I need to double check to see if the brake light is on before I walk away next time...grrrrr

You may want to considder a battery tender. I was having dead battery problems early this spring and after doing a search of the board I found others had had issues as well. After doing some research I found that the busa does not start to recharge the battery untill 3500 RPM so crusing at 35 in town in 3rd gear the battery is not even being recharged. I went out and got a battery tender and now plug it in every time I finish riding and I have now gone two months without any sort of problem. If you get one, splurge and get the $60 one as it will work in a pinch on your car too and comes with a set of "plug in" jumper cables and a harness that stays attached to your battery so it is just a plug in process.

<!--EDIT|Krieg
Reason for Edit: "spelling problems"|1087602965 -->

the battery doesn't charge below 3500 RPM, well I'll be damned, I never knew that - thanks Krieg !!
smile.gif

i'd like to what makes it charge after 3500rpm and why?
anyone
rock.gif
They would probably use a SCR, dc voltage directional capacitor, to stop it from charging below 3500. A SCR is basically a switch that is closed until it reaches a specified threshold current at which time it opens. I dont think the generator makes enough power below 3500 to run the electrical system and charge the battery too so they put the SCR in to stop the battery charging until you are going.

I think it is actually a common thing for motorcycles to be set up like this. Other bikes are more likely not to run much below the 3500 prm so you never notice it whereas the busa can run very well below 3500 if your just putting.

<!--EDIT|Krieg
Reason for Edit: None given...|1087650863 -->

Battery will be fine after a re-charge. Don't do that often though, you will eventually kill the battery. Yes a battery tender is a great investment. They do not cost much. After every ride I plug my bike in and wait for the green light.
biggrin.gif

Because the Busa batteries go dead so easily we use the YUASA YTZ14S batteries in ours. They come from an ST1300 honda. We have used these for showing off the air rides and they were abused for days on end without going dead. We sell them for about $100 and have had no complaints with them. It fits in the stock tray.

i used a battery tender from
griots garage and it's the first time I was able to start the bike at the first kick of the engine after the winter.

Krieg thanks for the explanation, makes sense.

Ok, so when you are waiting at a light or driving in traffic....is it the batt that is running you lights? Also, I wonder why Suzuki would do this?? under 3500 rpm?

Ok, so when you are waiting at a light or driving in traffic....is it the batt that is running you lights?  Also, I wonder why Suzuki would do this?? under 3500 rpm?
Waiting at a light or anytime under 3500 your generator is powering the lights and electronics, as long as the bike is running. Over 3500 the generator is capible of running lights and electronics and charging the battery. Suzuki probably wanted to keep the generator size and weight as small as possible.

<!--EDIT|Krieg
Reason for Edit: None given...|1087791153 -->

Back