DDM HIDs

mcneece

Registered
DDM wouldn't place my order over the phone and wouldn't answer ANY of my questions, so here goes...

I want to do both beams and I want both to be as bright/white as possible. From research, this sounds like I want 6000k, but the DDM site says their 35W 6000k and 55W 8000k are similar in color. Their site also says that the 55W kit is "not recommended for smaller fog light housings because they tend to concentrate a large amount of heat in a small area."

So my questions are:

-what bulb size do i need for a gen1 busa? H7?
-what color for each wattage do i need to achieve the whitest and/or brightest. i don't dig on the blue look just a whole lot, so the whiter the better.
-is their 55W bulb too hot for the hi beam?
-is their kit pretty much plug and play?

I have the DDM 35w hi and low, both 5000k. DDM did recomend against the 55w hi because the heat may or may not melt the small housing. Myself and alot of folks with HIDs will tell you that the hi beam is pretty useless, the HID low is brighter than the factory hi beam anyway.
I wouln't mind trying the 55w on the low beam, and there are some folks on here that have 55w in both, I haven't heard of any melting problems, but that's not a guarantee it won't.
The 5000k has a blueish color, the higher the kelvin number, the dimmer the bulb becomes(not dramatically) The lower numbers like the 3000k have more of a yellow, and the 4000k and 4500k are almost white.
I have a Gen2, and it is plug and play, and don't think there's alot of difference between gen1 and 2, but it's an easy install either way.

Those are the right numbers
I ordered:
Low H7
High (HB3) 9005
both in 35w 5000k.

Let us know if the 55w cause any trouble.
Good Luck! :thumbsup:

Play it safe and go 35w. They plenty bright enough and 5k bulb. 6k if you want some traffic to notice your motorcycle better during daylight hours. Closer you are to the sunlight spectrum the less likely traffic will notice you. Headlight(s) on at all times for motorcycles is a law for a reason.

ive got 55w in both high & low...using for almost a year...never had any problems with heat. But 35 watt is also a good choice because I occasionally have engine starting issues with the 55s, and the high beam sometimes flickers below 2000rpm.

ive got 55w in both high & low...using for almost a year...never had any problems with heat. But 35 watt is also a good choice because I occasionally have engine starting issues with the 55s, and the high beam sometimes flickers below 2000rpm.

what do you mean by engine starting issues?

Motorcycle HID Headlight Conversion Kit H7 6K Kit White - Indysuperbikes

$70.95. Had it going since July with no problems. 6K gives a touch of blue. Outstanding at night. No regrets. Hasn't been turned on in months and fires right up in my 30 degree garage.

0204101321.jpg

what do you mean by engine starting issues?

Once in a while, like if I stall, the delay relay does not have enough time to open the circuit back up, or "reset". And if I immediatley try to start the bike and the lights are still on, sometimes the battery acts like it dies out and the clock resets to 1:00. Again, this only happens some of the time. So I have to wait a few seconds before trying again. There is a possibility that this could be a bad battery issue, too.

installed yesterday. holy crap. its one thing to hear people say how bright these things are and its another story to see it first hand. if i were to do it over, i think i'd have just done 35W lo beam or at an absolute overkill most, 35W in each. 55W high beam is insanely bright.

OK few things here maybe it'll help for your or anyones delay problems we have posted here a way to avoid the delay issue, use a capacitor inline with the kit. do it yourself it's about a 6-10 dollar fix and eliminates all your start concerns yes even for the gen2. Buy a capacitor set that's plug and play is about a $20.00 fix.
I'll see if I can find the link to that write up

The reason you don't want 55w on your low beam is not due to the heat buildup in the housing so much as the heat build up in your wiring your low beam is set to draw no more than 45w so pulling 55w through it may damage it (it being the wiring not the housing) due to heat buildup in the wiring more power means more heat.

5k is bright as all high heaven with a slight yellow tint but 6k (these are 35w numbers btw) gives you more useable light and does not throw decieving shadows on the road the way a 5k does.

Hope this all helps :beerchug:

ok here's the link it's about 1/3 the way down the page but the whole thread pretty much goes through reversing polarity and troubleshooting as well.

the capacitor value is 10000uF and 25v you can actually go to the a/c delco website or the local parts store and get a 9006 gm plug as all these plug and play kits run those to the ballast itself. Run this inline from the factory harness to the ballast and your startup/flicker problems will be no more.

https://www.hayabusa.org/forum/general-bike-related-topics/122823-hid-3.html

if you use HID on the hi beam you will not be able to use the "pass" botton (if your bike has it) like with a regular bulb,since it takes time for the HID to light up, by then it maybe too late, i had both HID's on my 06 and took the hi off and replaced it with the sylvania silverstar , safety first, :thumbsup:

Back