Concealed handgun carry when riding

"AN armed society is a POLITE society!"  

Most criminals polled state they are more afraid of homeowners with guns than anything else.  Alarms or dogs don't matter If they feel you may be armed they will move to an easier target./  Now  You may ask how would a criminal know you are armed.  I routinely take my long guns in full sight of neighbors and on lookers as well as open carry often.  Many criminal stake out their neighborhoods beforehand to do their dirty work at a later time.  I also have NRA and other like stickers posted prominently.  Don't know if it is paranoia or overkill, but if someone was staking me out(which i don';t know why)  Maybe it helps.  I'll tell you this.  If someone is crazy enough to break into your hoime while you are asleep, to rob you.  THey are crazy enough to attempt to harm or kill you.  Be smart.  Protect yourself,  becasue i respect the police and LE, but it could be too late by the time they are called.
Problem is that you become a target for gun thieves when they know you have firearms.  It kinda works both ways, I suppose.
YUP! Thinking the exact same thing. The minute they see you leave one day whilst eyeballing your place, they are in there after your firearms. I think Firearms are like the #1 most desirable target for criminals... Easy sell on the street.

Don't carry... Satistics are in... Most killings are due to moments of rage by normal law abiding citizens and not the thugs...

Carry a concealed weapon and you are asking to put yourself in situation you can't afford to get out of... I have had many moments of road rage and seen it often enough to realize that I wouldn't want these people packing...

Cloud

Don't carry... Satistics are in... Most killings are due to moments of rage by normal law abiding citizens and not the thugs...

Carry a concealed weapon and you are asking to put yourself in situation you can't afford to get out of... I have had many moments of road rage and seen it often enough to realize that I wouldn't want these people packing...

Cloud
Before you pull some ANTI self Defense "Statistics" out and lay em' down, how about you go back and verify those statistics. Maybe a Site a source for that figure, or a link perhaps. What you just typed is untrue as far as I know, simply just not the case...
I have seen some amazing statistics about armed citizens and the EVILS of carrying a weapon in self defense. NEVER has a single report passed first review. Every one of them published or is sponsored by the Anti-Gun folks who have in the past proven they will do ANYTHING to make sure the average Law abiding citizen is simple prey for a criminal... So don't believe everything you read from Supposed "Studies" check out who is paying the bills on the research first.

Cloud
Before you pull some ANTI self Defense "Statistics" out and lay em' down, how about you go back and verify those statistics.  Maybe a Site a source for that figure, or a link perhaps.  What you just typed is untrue as far as I know, simply just not the case...  
 I have seen some amazing statistics about armed citizens and the EVILS of carrying a weapon in self defense.  NEVER has a single report passed first review.  Every one of them published or is sponsored by the Anti-Gun folks who have in the past proven they will do ANYTHING to make sure the average Law abiding citizen is simple prey for a criminal...   So don't believe everything you read from Supposed "Studies" check out who is paying the bills on the research first.
I know you could show me just as many statistics supporting your views as I could mine so rather then go there... I would like to just leave it as my 2 cents on packing...
wink.gif

Cloud

Dammit! WI missed the veto over ride by 1 stinkin vote by the guy who originally proposed it!!!!!! Damn Democrats.

Cloud
Before you pull some ANTI self Defense "Statistics" out and lay em' down, how about you go back and verify those statistics.  Maybe a Site a source for that figure, or a link perhaps.  What you just typed is untrue as far as I know, simply just not the case...  
 I have seen some amazing statistics about armed citizens and the EVILS of carrying a weapon in self defense.  NEVER has a single report passed first review.  Every one of them published or is sponsored by the Anti-Gun folks who have in the past proven they will do ANYTHING to make sure the average Law abiding citizen is simple prey for a criminal...   So don't believe everything you read from Supposed "Studies" check out who is paying the bills on the research first.
I know you could show me just as many statistics supporting your views as I could mine so rather then go there... I would like to just leave it as my 2 cents on packing...
wink.gif

Cloud
www.packing.org

nope ---because of stringent laws of equal force if its there i gots to pause for that decision ,will i pause probably not if it has gone to that level.adrenaline is pumping all the making for a bad decision...........do i think all people should be allowed to use deadly force to protect life and limb----------yup do ithink majority of the people think in that scenario---nope do i rely on someone else to defend my life not likely. so personal decision with personal concicences up to the individual he is the one who haS TO LIVE WITH THE RESULTS

Fawk a license, I carry everyday I ride and will not sway,too many posers out there , andd the day a cager makes a mistake that almost costs me my life they better hope I'm unconcious or I might a mistake my damn self
cool.gif

just playin fellas . If I still lived in Brooklyn then OK I see the need but in Lawton OK ...pleeeeeeease

And in Virginia Project exile will tighten anyones ass up with an illegal firearm.. MANDATORY 5 years in FEDERAL pen if caught with illegal firearms.
Not quite an automatic 5 years. Has to be an extra circumstance to get the mandatory minimum 5. There are a lot of people out there that only see that one and it sticks due to the "mandatory". Exile was (and still is due to the lasting effects) a great project.

Good topic. For those of you that don't know, I'm a SWAT officer in California. In the screwy place that California is, it's almost impossible to get a CCW anywhere in this state. I typically do carry wherever I go, unless I'm going to get hammered at the bar or something similar. People seem to ask "Why are you bringing your gun to the (library/grocery store/chruch/school play/ect.), you don't need it there." My responce always is, "Tell me when I need it."

It's a question that can never be answered. The truth of the matter is that you'll never know when you might need protection. Now, thinking that people carry who are untrained, don't really know the laws, and who would brandish a pistol over a comment such as "bitch ass biker boy" makes me scared. The bottom line for me, the only time I'm pulling that thing out off dury is for self defence or to preserve life when there's imminent peril or danger (straight out of the CA Penal Code). If you can control yourself enough to carry, and NOT pull it out when some A-hole in a minivan cuts you off, or follows you to the grocery store to curse at you, or challenges you to a fistfight, then have at it (as long as you're legal where you live). If you say to yourself, "If someone trys to kick my ass, I'll draw out on them.", then you shouldn't be carrying a pistol. You'll probably end up killing someone over something stupid, get yourself killed, or arrested. Be a man, and learn to take an insult or an asskicking, dont resort to a friggin pistol.

Now, for those of you who can control yourseves...I recommend 2 methods of carry. I carry a Glock 27 off duty (sub-compact 40 cal 9+1). I either wear an uncle mikes nylon ankle rig (when I'm in jeans + boots), or a leather shoulder rig (under jackets or even leathers). Or, just stow the friggin thing in your trunk, just know you won't be able to get it in time.

People now days are so quick to escalate force it's crazy...yanking out a pistol after an insult or to avoid gettin punched in the face outside a bar...it makes me sick.

Mac

Right now I have a SA XD .40. It's fairly compact and for the most part is a very good carry piece for everything EXCEPT riding. I haven't found a comfortable way to carry when on the bike. Most of my gear is faily tight. I dress for the crash and I don't want stuff that rolls around on me and have the armor end up in a place where it's not doing me any good. I don't want to keep the gun in a tank bag obvious reasons that Mac pointed out. I also don't like Glocks
biggrin.gif
About the only other solution is a fanny pack. God I hate fanny packs! To be honest, the bike is one place I really don't feel that I need to carry. I mean if there's one situation where I damn well can flee, it's when I'm on a bike.
laugh.gif

I'm a police officer in Ohio and I carry damn near every day, whether I'm on my bike or in my truck. When I'm on my bike I carry either a snubby .38 in an ankle holster or a Glock 26 in an ankle holster. Never had a problem with either coming loose or anything like that. As far as whether someone should or should not carry (legally of course) when they're on their bike .......... I'd say do whatever you feel comfortable doing. If you're concerned about the weapon being seen or loosing it in a crash or something, then don't carry. Just my 2 cents.

Anybody watched Michael Moore´s movie Bowling for Columbine? Think he got a point.
But I live in (safe) Sweden and we don´t belive ( or need) in carrying hand guns for protection here. Even carrying knives (or screwdrivers) are forbidden in the streets here.
Of course we got law breakers and poop, but my (highly qualified ;-) guess is that less than 1% got some kind of weapon on the street here. And a gun must be way below 1%.

It´s an interesting problem....those guns.... or the users?

;-)

Anybody watched Michael Moore´s movie Bowling for Columbine? Think he got a point.
But I live in (safe) Sweden and we don´t belive ( or need) in carrying hand guns for protection here. Even carrying knives (or screwdrivers) are forbidden in the streets here.
Of course we got law breakers and poop, but my (highly qualified ;-) guess is that less than 1% got some kind of weapon on the street here. And a gun must be way below 1%.

It´s an interesting problem....those guns.... or the users?

;-)
WHOAH... don't get me started on Moore and that so-called "documentary". It was so bogus and filled with BS, that I can't believe people don't recognize it as fiction.

Even so gun-hating liberals (like the women of "The View") ripped into Moore for putting together a movie full of lies and BS and calling it a documentary.

A compact Glock 9 or .40 will fit in most rear jean pockets easily,and still pack a wallop,especially the .40.Unfortunately capacity is reduced in the compacts,but if you happen across some leftover non law- enforcement (legal) Talons,it doesn't really matter.EVERYONE has the right to effectively defend themselves,just make yourself aware of the laws in your area.You may find in many instances you don't even need a CWP.Almost forgot-the compacts are pretty much pocket-sized,as long as you don't use a plus-one floorplate.

<!--EDIT|bronc3
Reason for Edit: None given...|1079986280 -->

A compact Glock 9 or .40 will fit in most rear jean pockets easily,and still pack a wallop,especially the .40.Unfortunately capacity is reduced in the compacts,but if you happen across some leftover non law- enforcement (legal) Talons,it doesn't really matter.EVERYONE has the right to effectively defend themselves,just make yourself aware of the laws in your area.You may find in many instances you don't even need a CWP.
Glock 27 - 40 cal holds 9 + 1....although if you're carrying in your back pocket I probably wouldnt carry the damn thing chambered.

Mac

In Florida it is illigal to carry a CW where there is an abundance of people, like a mototcycle event. You must also flee if capable, some one is robbing your house, you and your family should find the closest exit to escape. If your unable to escape you must show fear for your life, this holds true in all circumstances not just house robberys. Little hint though
wink.gif
 if your backed into a corner or wall, then your life is conisdered in danger. For example, someone is robbing your house, you hear a noise, go investigate, you see a robber, back yourself into a corner then say "hey you" when he turns around, its your call from there.
Though I am not a lawyer, I do have some familiarity with firearms laws.  I do not believe that it is illegal to carry in FL to events where there is an "abundance of people".  Can you point out the statute?  A good place to get basic info is www.packing.org

When it comes to the use of deadly force, most jurisdictions will state it approximately as such:  The use of deadly force is justified if you feel that you or someone else has a reasonable fear of imminent death or serious bodily harm (ie, rape, grave assault/battery, etc).  For example... someone is beating someone with a bat and you shoot -- usually justified.  Someone has a bat raised overhead preparing to beat someone and you shoot -- usually justified.  Someone beats someone with a bat, drops it and cries "UNCLE" and you shoot -- NOT justified since the threat has stopped.

If you're backed into a corner in your home and the person has a weapon, you would most likely be justified in using deadly force.  If you're backed into a corner and the person is not armed, you would have to then proved that a reasonable person would have believed that the robber was going to cause death or serious bodily harm.

The waters are muddy.  Federal/State/Local laws make it even muddier.  Lawyers love that mud.  CYA and do as much reading on the topic as possible because that is part of the responsibility of owning and carrying a firearm.
* any place of nuisance as defined in s. 823.05
* any police, sheriff, or highway patrol station
* any detention facility, prison, or jail; any courthouse
* any courtroom*
* any polling place
* any meeting of the governing body of a county, public school district, municipality, or special district
* any meeting of the Legislature or a committee thereof
* any school, college, or professional athletic event not related to firearms
* any school administration building
* any portion of an establishment licensed to dispense alcoholic beverages for consumption*
* any elementary or secondary school facility
* any area technical center
* any college or university facility*
* inside the passenger terminal and sterile area of any airport*
* any place where the carrying of firearms is prohibited by federal law

That is the basics...but now lets look at satute 823.05, this is basically a PUBLIC NUISANCE, if one person sees your gun at all and decides to complain it is a misdemeanor. So I may have been over reacting by calling it illegal to bring to an event with an abundance of people, but let one person find out you have it and they dont like it. Then we are talking about breaking the law, here is what the statue states:

823.05  Places declared a nuisance; may be abated and enjoined.--Whoever shall erect, establish, continue, or maintain, own or lease any building, booth, tent or place which tends to annoy the community or injure the health of the community, or become manifestly injurious to the morals or manners of the people as described in s. 823.01, or shall be frequented by the class of persons mentioned in 1s. 856.02, or any house or place of prostitution, assignation, lewdness or place or building where games of chance are engaged in violation of law or any place where any law of the state is violated, shall be deemed guilty of maintaining a nuisance, and the building, erection, place, tent or booth and the furniture, fixtures and contents are declared a nuisance. All such places or persons shall be abated or enjoined as provided in ss. 60.05 and 60.06.

So what does this all mean, one may ask. Now lets look at statue 823.01:

823.01  Nuisances; penalty.--All nuisances that tend to annoy the community, injure the health of the citizens in general, or corrupt the public morals are misdemeanors of the second degree, punishable as provided in s. 775.083, except that a violation of s. 823.10 is a felony of the third degree.

Its your call if you want to take a gun to an event, but let it be known that I warned you....And most motorcycle events I have been to have had alcoholic beverages. Im no lawyer, (maybe a ex-military cop Airfoce LE) but I just know what cops down here will do to you if someone complains about your gun or if they see it themselves.  
tounge.gif
This is a really good point.Truth is,most people don't know the laws governing the use of deadly force in their respective states,and that's how all the rumors get started like the "three step rule".It is fairly easy to obtain a copy of these specific statutes,and they should be reviewed regularly as they can change often.

Back