Concealed handgun carry when riding

NCBusa2001

Registered
Howdy all

I know this topic has come up before, but it’s relevant at the start of a new riding season.

I’m curious about everyone’s views regarding concealed carry when riding. I know there must be many different viewpoints on the issue, considering the wide diversity of the board. So, what do you think? Do you? Don’t you? Why or why not? Ever thought about it?

Just to give you some perspective. I am a fairly responsible person with a decent job and a good education. I do not hang out in crackville or put myself at extreme risk (well the busa doesn’t count for this argument.). I am a rather large individual who doesn’t make a very easy victim. I have never been in any circumstance that justified the use of firearms. I do, however, believe in the right of an individual to carry weapons for self protection and I exercise that right daily.

Every day I read or hear about how somebody became a statistic to some wannabe thug. The reason this topic is relevant to riding is two fold. First, don’t we ride (biased of course) the most desirable motorcycle of all time, I believe we do. That brings our “target†value up a notch or two. Second, we unfortunately live in an age of road rage and some cagers just don’t like us very much. Just a few thoughts anyway.

I’d like to hear from BulletTrain for some LEO opinions. I’m sure RSD could shed some words of wisdom.

Thanks for the time, Chris

rock.gif
Good topic

I own two hand guns (one 9mm and one .45).  One of these days I will get my conceal permeant but even afterwards I still don't know if I will carry one of them.  I have never needed one and I hope I never will. I do however wish that you could travel with one across state lines. When I drive cross country I would like to have one just in case.

<!--EDIT|jwcfbd
Reason for Edit: None given...|1078981531 -->

Well I am in the same boat as you my friend. Upstanding, Law abiding citizen. WHo tries to stay straight and narrow. I also carry a CCW license. Personally I dont feel the need to carry it when im alone on the busa. Number one. You run the risk of crashing and someone stealing it, if your unconscious, Number two. the chances you get into a situation where you need it are slim to none. If you had it, legally, you better have a damn good reason you needed to use it. BEcause in VA and Ohio. If you can "flee" you should not have used it. Now on the other hand. If you routinely travel to or thru questionable places you may want to carry. But if you do routinely travel to said places. You may just want to stop traveling there!! From the courts perspective (beleive me i have studies this stuff) One of the only scenarios that would keep YOUR ass from going to jail would be a vicious attack upon your WIFE, KIDS MOM etc. and you could not escape trying to stop someone from stealing your bike ain't gonna fly.

Now on another note. I always carry concealed ( Baby Desert Eagle .45 loaded with dum-dums) when i travel with my family, because most criminals attack when they feel their victims may be preoccupied with "taking care of family" etc. or they feel they can threaten bodily harm to you or your passengers. I grew up on the southside of chicago and have become very good at "profiling" questionable behavior. When things just don't seem to be right, they probably aren't. But for the most part if i get into that situation i will abide by the attackers demands unless i feel my life or my families life is in danger. But like my ex navy seal ccw trainer taught me. If something goes down, MAke sure there is only one witness left. ME! (sorry BT) and all other popo.
wink.gif

Jwc, There are a collection of states that honor each other's CCW permits. They tend to be more on the east cost though.

Good points busa brother. I agree, riding and trying to shoot and keep control of the bike could prove difficult. Not to mention the justification issue. As far as someone stealing the bike, well. Lets say...someone wants to steal your bike or rob you. A reasonable (an important term) person is not going to be expected to just hand over the keys when a thug requests. That infers that some "level of force" will be used by the criminal against you inorder to complete his crime. Now that whole "justification thing" is just a matter of perspective,... if wheter or not YOU felt that your (or your wife, kids, mom, ect) life was in danger or that you were going to face grave physical injury.

Concealed carry is a very personal thing. When we go to bike gatherings we expect to see all sorts of people, some nice some not. When I pull up at my room at Myrtle beach this summer, at night, dim lights, (spookey) and I view a group of shadey perps eyeing me, my wife and my bike, I might have more sense of security that one who is Unarmed. Possibly?

Good comments thus far, Chris

Busabrother, I agree totally with you second point. Good choice of hardware, although I prefer .50AE (cheap to reload).

By the way I have found the PERFECT "home defense away from home" pistol yet. Olympic arms OA-98. Sweet.
30 rounds of .223 out of a 6 1/2" barrel makes for some good fun.
guns.gif

Chris

arpistol.JPG

But that seems a little hard to conceal!!
laugh.gif
If you really want concealable the best tool is a snubnose hammerless 38 loaded with dum-dums. Can't beat consistency!!
cool.gif

it's probably safe bet that i am the most heavily armed guy on here, i have an extensive gun collection and i carry almost every day. when riding though i really dont like it for a couple reasons, first of all, the last thing i need is for my gun to fall out while riding, that would be bad, and the only way to really secure it and have it remotely acessable is in my jacket pocket, but i realy dont fele like falling on it in a crash and having it brake my ribs. some of my friends put their guns in the storage sections of their bikes, but they are useless there cause you cant get to them quick enough, and it's illegal to leave them there. so usually if i am going to carry while riding, it's a small gun that i can jusy put in my front pocket. but it's really useless there too cause i'll never get to it sitting on the bike, or with my gloves on off the bike for that matter

Fear, I just sold off all my long guns. Because they were getting no use and taking up precious busa mod money just sitting in their case. I have also divested all of my handguns, except my baby eagle. But I now am into the walther P 99. So i must have one soon. I wish they had it in a .45, but i will have to make do. But I sold my glock .357, .40, .45, 9mm, ruger .45, charter arms .38 snubie, remington 1187 12 gauge semi auto shottie, remington 870 12 gauge pump shottie and last but not least my ruger m77 mark II 30-06 rifle. Yeah i know i downsized, but as quickly as i get rid of the old in comes the new!!
tounge.gif

i rode with several people who were packing last year.
two who stuck out more then others were packing a gloc 9 and a 357.
big weapons in my book.
one in his jacket and one in his tank bag.

my only concern was WHY do you need a weapon when riding?
rock.gif

that was soon answered when i got into it with some wankstas (i think i spelled that right) in downtown portland on a friday night.
some retards walked by and said somthing like bitch azz biker boyz or somthing like that.
well me being the upstanding biker that i am answered back with a few choice words

any way one thing lead to another and next thing i know there is a group of about 10 (adreline pumped up) bikers about to eat up some drunk dumbass's
any way
i didnt know any one in our group was packing but when i found out the chumps were packing (they were quick to pull out and run thier mouths) i was defintly pleased to see that some one in my group was as well (ironicly enough one of the guys in our group was a L E weapons instructor of some sort).
it almost turned ugly for no reason.
i would of felt like sh*t if some one got hurt for me fighting with a drunk

any way
i belive that you should pack at places like L seca, daytona, major gatherings were you get drunks and crackheads in one place that can cause problems like fights, theft, etc.

but not while riding in the hills or to work and back.

and even if you do feel the need to pack at least let some one in your group know so there aren't any suprises.
like if you decide to eat cage bumper and a gun goes scraping across the freeway lanes, we know who's it is.

any way guns on bikes?
yes
at certian times and places
and as long as certian (responsible) people are in control of them

thats this crapy spellers 2 cents

wink.gif

busa brother, smith and wesson makes the sw99 in .45 and it's really the same exact gun the the walther 99, both AWESOME guns, i have it in 40 myself. go get yourself the matching walther p99 knife, it's cheap and a really cool blade. i sold a lot of my long guns too cause i dont like shooting outside. been shooting my machine gun lately, by far the most fun
biggrin.gif

Carrying a CW is personal choice. If you do carry make sure you are legal to do so getting caught carrying illegally can get you into big time trouble. I usually only carry when I am going to unknown places or on long trips. Just be careful if you pull it out, better have a good reason to do so or you might end up in jail. If you carry just be responsible about it and don't go and think your tuff because you have a gun.

Enough preaching from me just be careful and ride safe

I carry while riding, just in case I ever break down out in the back country and have to walk out. The rule in WV on when you can use deadly force (i.e. any weapon, including a firearm) is that you can only use it when you are in fear of serious bodily injury or death. This is obviously a subjective standard that looks at the size of the two people in the altercation, their genders, their age, the circumstances, etc. You can't use a firearm if someone is stealing your car or robbing your house, but it would be an ease argument to make that you felt in fear of serious bodily injury if someone breaks into your house at night and you shoot them, especially if you have a wife or children in the house. Also, in WV, unlike some of the states you guys mentioned, there is no duty to retreat (or flee as you guys put it).

i'm not against any bike owner carrying.
especially out here in L.A.
I hear bout dudes getting jacked all the time.
I own a few nice pieces. in fact, I just got back from Vegas and shot a few fully auto machine guns...... they were SUUUUH WEEEEEET!

but always remember, there are 2 things you don't pull out and not use....... your dyck and your gun.
laugh.gif

Since the subject has arisen--I've been licensed for the last 12 years. Ten of those in South Florida and the last two in Tennessee. I carry either a Glock 9 or Colt .45, both compact models, in an under-belt holster with a positive retention snap strap, worn in the small of the back. There is no obvious buldge with erect body posture. I usually carry a spare magazine. In Florida, the license is for concealed weapons, not just firearms. That means that you can also carry concealed knives and other weapons for self defense as I still sometimes do depending upon my perception of the potential threat level. When carrying an edged weapon only, however, I remind myself of the old addage "Don't show up at a gunfight with a knife".

Why do I carry? Simple... as a "realist", I am all too familiar with human nature and the abundance of violent, opportunistic criminals in their many guises and I refuse to be helpless to defend myself, my family, and possibly other victims (depending on the circumstances). I have had to draw a concealed weapon only once during those 12 years and that was enough to dissuade a would-be carjacker on Dr. Martin Luther King Boulevard in Ft. Myers, Florida from forcibly trying to take my pick-up truck. He fled when the .45 appeared and it may have saved my life, or at least, my vehicle. I often carry when I ride motorcycles, especially on trips. With firearms reciprocity laws among various states, it is possible to travel between Kentucky and Florida (and certain other states) while legally armed. That can be very comforting at 3 AM in a dark, remote rest area.

Obviously, legal concealed carry brings with it heavy responsibility. It is a strict trust that requires the licensee to always behave with maturity, knowledge of the law, skill, judgement, and emotional self-control for greater personal/social security. Law-abiding citizens have absolutely nothing to fear from me don't even know that I am armed. The last thing in this life that I want to do is to shoot someone. But, if there is no other way out, when my concealed weapon comes out, something very profound is likely to happen...! Thank God I live in America.

Back