comfortable headphones in a helmet?

sweet tea man

Registered
I've got an mp3 player i have had for a while and i while i can find headphones no problem, all the ones i've tried keep falling out of my ears while riding down the road and bouncing around on the sides of the helmet.

I just got some that clip over the ear. they are much better and stay in place, BUT they fuggin hurt like hell when trying to take the helmet off.

anyone know of any brand or style headphone that is helmet friendly that stays in place?

:rofl:

I use the speakers from my chat box works well for the mp3. I wonder if there are some speakers you could mount instead of head phones.

checkout newenough.com and the chatterbox section. They have a headset and cord to connect direct to your ipod without using the main frs or gms units... However it is great to have the frs unit to talk to your buddies while riding....

I use in the ear buds. I have two pair of Sony's and one pair of Etyomic Research ER6i buds. Both are extremely small and have great sound. Additionally, both offer very small buds that won't hurt your ears after extended use. My favorite are the ER6i with Shure foam sleeves because they are very small and seal very well.

similar Sony:
319794294_57689fdbc6.jpg

similar Er6i:
etymotic_er6.jpg

Last edited:
With the Shure tips, mine have never come out. The foam tip is much like safety ear plugs, you roll them and insert them and let them expand to the ear canal. Offers noise suppression and a fit that doesn't come out....for me at least.

If you are tired of pain in your ears, wind noise, and ear buds falling out. Get these and stop looking.
These will end the search. Spend the money and be done with it. I am no music expert, all I can say is they sound very good, block wind noise, don't fall out, don't cause pain to my ears and I need a second set in case I lose these.
I wish I had them 20 years ago, this has been an issue for a long time.

Amazon.com: er6i: Musical Instruments

Last edited:
I picked up a cheap set of Sony's from Target and they are working well.

They are the Sony Active Style Loop Hanger Headphones

417XkuwY0zL._AA260_.jpg

I got a set of these for Christmas. Haven't tried em on the bike yet but they sound great. They are touted as "Sound Isolating" which is true, but by isolation they mean totally blocking outside noises! I can't hear anything with these babies rocking! They employ a Silicone ear piece (3 sizes) that inserts in your ear like a reusable earplug. I'll give em a try on the bike but I am a bit skeptical of them eliminating too much ambient noise.

417XkuwY0zL._AA260_.jpg

I have something simular but there phillips paid $13.00 at target & when I throw on the bandana & hemlet they are in there solid.

I just use any pair that is comfortable, then buy one of those $5-$10 balaclava caps to put over your ears. The short ones keep your helmet from getting dirty from sweat, hair gel, or oils, and if you want the pull over "ski mask" type they keep your neck warm.

This has worked for me.

Your helmet is too loose.
Get a better fitting lid!
My earphones stay put.???

Pine

the helmet fits fine. nice and snug around my head. the plugs littlerally just wiggle out.

417XkuwY0zL._AA260_.jpg

these are the ones I just bought last night that hurt like hell when sliding the helmet off

Last edited:
I have used the Shure E3's and have heard good things about the etonic(sp) listed above. The Shure line now has new numbers.... remarketed themselves and Musicians love their accuracy. (yes to dangerous habit riding with these but was not the question)

If I am extremely careful placing the helmet on they stay put just fine until I need a fuel stop. If I try to put the lid on too quick - they usually goof up. fwiw

I tried insulated ear buds with a I Pod once but it was too noisy with the wind blast; moreover.to hear the music, the volume had to be so high it would damage your hearing eventually.

Back