Ipod's and MP3's - Speakers or Headphones?

Which do you prefer listening to when riding? Speakers, Headphones, Bluetooth, Other?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

BusaTunes

Registered
:super: I've seen lots of people listening to Ipods, MP3, and other media devices when they ride. Most riders use headphones or ear buds or bluetooth and Chatterbox devices. I have seen some cool and original electronic set ups both mounted on and in sportbikes and helmets. Which do you prefer? Speakers on/in the bike, Headphones in the helmet, Bluetooth/Chatterbox or another type of listening device? :super: :argue:1

1. Speakers
2. Headphones
3. Bluetooth/Chatterbox
4. Other

I have a starcom 1 headset installed in my Arai linked to my Garmin GPS which does my phone, music and GPS although I still wear earplugs with noise cancelling filters to reduce wind noise and this also improves the base

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I feel like you should avoid ear buds and ear phones and stick to satellite mounted speakers primarily for safety reasons. If something is going on around you, chance are great of you hearing what happening when things arent in your ears...

Tunes on SD card in Garmin GPS pipped via bluetooth to the Chatterbox.

Ear plugs always, wind noise at highway speed will zap your hearing before you know it and once you know it it's too late. Hearing loss is permanent!

Tunes on SD card in Garmin GPS pipped via bluetooth to the Chatterbox.

Ear plugs always, wind noise at highway speed will zap your hearing before you know it and once you know it it's too late. Hearing loss is permanent!

Try these bad boyz; they are great standalone earplugs, and then you can listen to your tunes without having to turn up wide open to overcome wind noise!

Etymotic Research, Inc. - ER•6i Isolator Earphones

Almost got run over by an ambulance when I was riding with headphones in. I will NEVER do that again. Absolutely dangerous.

i voted "other" because technically they're not earbuds or headphones, but i've had great luck with a pair of headphones made by Fischer Audio. they're called the "eterna". they over audiophile grade sound quality at a competitive price. unfortunately my dog thought they were for her so they are in the process of being replaced with another pair. they are very comfortable to wear once you get used to (over the ear) and when riding, you barely notice they're there. once you get a good seal, they offer a noticable decrease in wind noise - which really helps my tinitus. hope this helps someone! get a good pair of in ear monitors and you'll never look back!

I quickly discovered that having mounted speakers on the bike yield a better sound quality with a full face helmet as opposed to a half helmet or 'bucket'. How you ask??? Well most helmets are engineered for a reduction in wind noise; the 'buckets'?, not so much. The wind traveling past your ears after about 45-50 MPH is just too loud! :disagree: :whistle:

I'm thinking of disassembling some skullcrushers and building them into my helmet. Lol, integrated sub

Sent from my Devour using Tapatalk

Earbuds for me...for now. I plan on getting a chatterbox or something like that in th future
Posted via Mobile Device

Love my buds. I tried the pucks and they didn't hold up to well.
Posted via Mobile Device

I use both, the scala rider bluetooth and in ear buds. The scala bluetooth speakers totaly suck for music but work very well for intercom and cell phone use. My buds are high end but not totally noise cancelling. I can still hear the scala unit (cell phone/intercom) and off the bike conversations with helmet on. Plus they still reduce a lot of wind noise. Of course it's hard to beat a set of in-ear buds for excellet sounding music.

I use this speaker combo with my Sirius radio and MP3 playe. The MP3 player has the best sound reproduction but the Sat. radio can't be beat for variety. I used to use a normal FM/AM radio but hated dealing with the loss of clear signal. My commute is over 65 mi 1-way. It was a total bummer trying keep up with all the signal loss / chanel changes. Sirius solved that instantly without the predictive nature of the MP3 player!

No doubt that music (at high volume) has it's hazards on the bike, but I'll deal with it. It makes my long commute so much more bareable, I'll never go without it! The drone of my motor on a long ride home at night is like a sleeping pill for me. Haward Stern or an audio book keep me awake and make the commute seem a lot shorter. Without audio intertainment, I tend to use the throttle on my Busa to make my long commute seem a lot shorter.

Last edited:
I love my ER.6i's. I rode 80 miles in a down pour on the Busa and it didn't suck. The music made it fun. Now if I could find someway to jack them into a receptacle on the helmet and go wireless (bluetooth) from bike to helmet. Running a Zumo 550 16G/SD & XM and Beltronics Pro GX65 radar detector with redlight camera detection and tracking.

I love my ER.6i's. I rode 80 miles in a down pour on the Busa and it didn't suck. The music made it fun. Now if I could find someway to jack them into a receptacle on the helmet and go wireless (bluetooth) from bike to helmet. Running a Zumo 550 16G/SD & XM and Beltronics Pro GX65 radar detector with redlight camera detection and tracking.

Actually, the HF3 model made by same company are best for iPhones, includes a button to turn music on/off and a volume up/down button.

P.S. There IS a mod for the chatterbox to plug them into, so you can use earbuds and go BT with them. The group buy guy that CAP set up can also adapt them for autocom use but it's plug in only (seems to still be best option).

Back