Comfort questions

voodoolord

Registered
So I went for a few rides today and noticed a few things. One my wrists were trying to get sore and it seemed like my weight was really forward. Im 6' with a normal frame about 165lbs. I noticed also that I had alot of seat left behind me and it was not too comfortable when I scoot my ass back as it put more weight on my wrists. I would like to find a better balance cause I can allreay tell that Im going to get fatigued on a long trip. I was thinking about maybe bringing the bars up a bit but maybe you guys know some good combinations of pegs seat and bars? Bone stock 09 by the way. Thanks.
voodoo

Ask which members with different seats, pegs, and bars on a gen2 are within riding distance of you, if any.
It's always best to sit on or ride a bike with the mods you want before you buy them, especially seats.
I've been through 5 seats before deciding that I'm just going to make one(have everything but the time and motivation at the moment). Ask 5 people what is the best seat and you'll get 5 different answers.

Thanks six, Im not as concerned about the seat as I am about the wrist and forward weight issue. My butt will be fine for a bit.

You need to fix your posture before changing the bike. You should be holding your upper body with your core muscles and legs, not by leaning on the bars.

And scoot up on the tank. The farther back you sit the more weight you have to support. You should have a relaxed grip on the bars.

i used to hurt a lot even after a 15 minute commute. but know with 3500 mile under my belt it doesn't seem that bad at all. i'm 5'7 and 180 lbs.
i went on a 3hr ride one way and that one killed my back/wrist/thighs well darn it wrecked me bad....but after that i seemed to have built a tolerance for it.
everything it stock with the bike.
i also noticed that i don't grip the bike as hard as i used to, i let do what it's supposed to do and that is let me enjoy it.
BTW this is my very first bike, prior to this i had a ten speed......
hope this help shed some light.

i used to hurt a lot even after a 15 minute commute. but know with 3500 mile under my belt it doesn't seem that bad at all. i'm 5'7 and 180 lbs.
i went on a 3hr ride one way and that one killed my back/wrist/thighs well darn it wrecked me bad....but after that i seemed to have built a tolerance for it.
everything it stock with the bike.
i also noticed that i don't grip the bike as hard as i used to, i let do what it's supposed to do and that is let me enjoy it.
BTW this is my very first bike, prior to this i had a ten speed......
hope this help shed some light.

:Oo: Wow you went with a Busa as your first bike. Thats gutsy. Im not gripping the bike hard, it may be that Im used to a more upright position from my dirt bikes and my GS.

First thing first. Adjust the angle of the levers. Makes a world of a difference.

And scoot up on the tank. The farther back you sit the more weight you have to support. You should have a relaxed grip on the bars.
\

I sit right up at the tank anyway caues thats where my reach is normal but its kinda pinching my sac a bit.

You need to fix your posture before changing the bike. You should be holding your upper body with your core muscles and legs, not by leaning on the bars.

I understand your idea about posture but holding your upper body with your core on extended rides is going to get pretty tiring. I have alot of long straight stretches out here where it would be nice to set the throttle and relax a bit. Im thinking that some type of bar riser might help. Im surprised I dont see any adjustable bar setups. Your steering wheel on your car is adjustable so why not bars?

\

I understand your idea about posture but holding your upper body with your core on extended rides is going to get pretty tiring. I have alot of long straight stretches out here where it would be nice to set the throttle and relax a bit. Im thinking that some type of bar riser might help. Im surprised I dont see any adjustable bar setups. Your steering wheel on your car is adjustable so why not bars?

When you figure it out let me know. I only have 80,000+ miles and an Iron Butt on my Busa.

You can make bar risers with a trip to the hardware store, however, you just got the bike and over time the comfort will come. It's like the first three weeks of football. Muscles that get used are sore. I'm 6' 260 raw obviously more with gear and I ride all over the place with little discomfort on a stock ride. Going on 67K miles in the past 6 years. Everything you've been told, plus squeeze the tank with your knees, change positions from time to time, stop every 250 miles for gas and a break :laugh:, I lay on my tank at highway speed ( for the beginner your neck will get sore ) , left hand on knee ( when safe to do so ), and my all time favorite secret weapon that locals laugh about ........ I will throw my left forearm across the tank ( basically supporting my body with my left arm ). I move around brother, but riding more than tricks got me there. Give it a month and your body will have adapted. Did I mention I'm old as dirt :laugh:

Right hand going numb ? Relax the grip, put fingers across the top of the brake lever, don't put all your weight on your right hand.

Biggest thing for me was shifting the weight to my ass and using my legs against the tank to support me. Definitely have relaxed my grip on the bars as I've grown more accustomed to the bike, that helped most of all. After about a month on my new Busa I'm much more relaxed with my grip.

On long trips ill take my tank bag. Makes a good resting pillow. I have the risers on mine now but I have sat on a bike that has these and what a difference. The cost is what hurts.

bars.jpg

cnc_1297683591_blackyoke.jpg

I went with the Heli bars, New Image seat and the buel pegs. It really made a difference for me. The seat will stop you from sliding back when you open her up :laugh:

On long trips ill take my tank bag. Makes a good resting pillow. I have the risers on mine now but I have sat on a bike that has these and what a difference. The cost is what hurts.

Its not the cost that hurts me, its the looks.. :puke:

Ill take comfort over looks any day. Maybe when I was in high school I wouldnt care but im old now and dont care what people think. :thumbsup:

Ill take comfort over looks any day. Maybe when I was in high school I wouldnt care but im old now and dont care what people think. :thumbsup:

I'm old too, and the only person I care what it looks like to is me, and I can't take it.. :rofl:

\

I sit right up at the tank anyway caues thats where my reach is normal but its kinda pinching my sac a bit.

Everyone is different, and your complaints are very similiar to mine.
Seat time and body position help, but if you're not comfortable...then you're not comfortable.
The busa seems as if it was designed for someone with arms longer than their legs.
The forward slanting seat is what I don't like. My nuts get crushed against the tank.
The busa is classed as a "sport touring" bike, but definately has a sport seat.
None of the aftermarket gen2 seats are flat or curve upward into the tank either.
The gen1 Corbin has the right shape for me(Sleepless Red has one if you want to see a picture). I have the Gen2 Corbin, it's pretty good, but still slants down into the tank. I wish they wouldn't have changed the design so much.
The New Image seat slants up into the tank, but they trim it down in the middle to acheive that. That has you sitting lower and to me feels more cramped.
You also cannot slide back due to the hump purposely left there. You're just stuck in the seat.
I've trimmed and added foam and gel to several seats and have yet to get it exactly as I want.
I did buy a 2' square block of firm closed cell seat foam though. From what I have previously tried I now know the shape I will cut it to(with electric knife). 3m spray glue and a staple gun, and I have a couple different types of material to cover it with. Just an idea of something you may want to try, as seats are easy to make.
I'm 5'10" 175lbs too. The busa if fine dragging a knee, but stock was an uncomfortable bastid just cruising around, for me personally.

Back