Just ordered Helibars for the Busa

Eddie

Registered
Read enough positive reviews on Helibars here on the org that I went ahead and ordered me a pair today. The distance to the pegs is not a problem for me as I have an average inseam, but my short reach put pressure on my palms and wrists, especially on my right hand. If I rode long enough, I ended up with the usual sore wrists and palms as well as a tingling sensation in my right hand.

Hoping the more upright seating position helps this. Can't wait to get the bars on! :thumbsup:

It will help some, but nothing beats seat time. Your body will adjust.

It will help some, but nothing beats seat time. Your body will adjust.

Lyme disease put a beating on my joints. No amount of seat time will fix that, unfortunately. The only fix is relieving some of the pressure/weight on my wrists and palms.

I'm going to try the Helibars first and see how it goes. I don't need to be completely upright in order to ride comfortably, just a bit more than what the stock Busa riding position offers. Sometimes a little goes a long way.

If all else fails, there is always Advil.:laugh:

Seat time will help, start using those abs, squeeze the tank with your knees, at speed lay on that tank, and given your situation invest in cruise control for the long hauls so you can swap up hands. Best of luck.

+1 on the cruise. Its helped my wrist and my back. They are both sore after a long ride but later that day or the next day they don't hurt. I'm also looking at heli bars.

I have the Genmar and the Helibars and they both made a difference. Like the above said seat time will also help cause your body will have to learn to get use to riding in that position for extended periods. My next move will be the Throttlemister also.

I have the Heli bars and throttleminster on my 08 and I still hurt. One think that does help me is to put the tank bag on and lay on it for a while. That really takes the pressure off me sometimes. Best of luck.

I also lay on the tank when need be. Let's face it, the Busa is a sport oriented ride, so there will be some comfort compromises. We all also have our individual pain thresholds. We just have to find what works best for our individual needs. I think the Helibars are a step in the right direction.

I put them on because after having shoulder and elbow surgeries the stock bars were less than comfortable when riding more than 40 minutes... The Heli bars made a big difference. :thumbsup:

I'm 32 with 2 fused discs in my neck (C4/C5 & C5/C6) and though surgery didn't solve anything so its still hard to ride long distances.. 30min is typically all I want to do.. Anymore and I'll pay for it the next day. Glad I work 20min away so I can still ride to work when i feel up to it and it's not going to rain here in Louisiana.

I've been eyeing the Helibars for some time and need to just step up and do it. Please report back with your thoughts on them.

Helibars arrived yesterday. The weather forecast looks crappy over the next few days, unfortunately. As soon as I get them on and take her for a ride, I'll be sure to report back!

Got the Helibars on tonight. I have mixed feelings about them. Allow me to explain...

Stock stuff came off easily. Slid the Helibar in and found the relief cut in the bar meant to center itself with the mounting bolt to properly orient it does nothing. The relief seems to be too deep/big, so the bolt never comes in contact with it. Same goes for the throttle side. As a result, you have to line the bars up as even as possible on your own by eye/feel. Once I got them where I wanted them, I found out the switch mounts on both sides hit the upper dash cowling.:banghead: So, I basically had to rotate them to the point where they just cleared the upper cowl on both sides and tightened it all down. The levers and brake/clutch master cylinders clear with no problem, it's the switch mounts on both sides that end up touching.

Ok, so it's all together, now it's time to take it out of the shed and go for a ride. Jump on, back it out, cut the wheel to one side, and my hand hits the mirror. Interesting, I didn't notice that while I was putting it all back together. Wonder if my other hand will hit if I turn opposite lock...yup. :confused2: Oh well...

Head out on the road and immediately notice the riding position is MUCH more comfy. Feels very much like my old '02 Bandit 1200N. Very little weight on my wrists and I don't have to use my abs, lower back and thighs to hold myself up. What I did notice is the bike feels weird in the turns. The seating position is much less sporty, so it feels a bit less sporty leaning the bike over. It seems to take a bit more effort, which I kinda expected. Another thing thats evident is my center of gravity is higher with the more upright seating position. This means the bike has a tendcy to get light in the front end much quicker/sooner during acceleration. Heavier guys may not notice this as much as the lighter guys. I'm only 180lbs, so I notice it right away.

If you do more cruising and touring type riding, I think the Helibars are perfect. If you have a more sporty or aggressive type riding style, they may not be so perfect. This is all personal preference and very subjective, of course, so "your mileage may vary". As for me, the jury is still out. The more upright riding position is definitely much easier on the wrists and lower back, but IMHO, I'm not quite sure it's worth taking away some of the sporty nature of the bike, which for me, it does.

I'm going to put a few more miles on the bike in order to give them a fair shot before I make a decision on sticking the stock bars back on the bike or not.

Thanks for the write up. I have been dragging my feet on this mod. Cuz I would take busa to the track...now that i have dedicated track bike...Need to get bike set up for long distance. thanks again!

Thanks for the write up. I have been dragging my feet on this mod. Cuz I would take busa to the track...now that i have dedicated track bike...Need to get bike set up for long distance. thanks again!

If you're setting the bike up for long distance riding, I would absolutely recommend these bars. Your wrists and lower back will thank you!

Back