Coffman's Install Black Bike/black Tips

bizzle

Registered
Sorry the pics aren't better. Spent a little time today installing black Coffman's on my bike. I'm happy with the look and surprised how quiet it is with the baffling. I was very worried it would be too loud, but now I'm considering taking the baffling out.

Pretty easy install. Only issue I had was being a moron and breaking one of the clamps. Completely my fault. My air drill made short work of drilling the holes for the rivets. I probably spent the most time just trying to make sure they were similarly positioned on the left and right sides.
BackStock.jpg

BackCoffmans.jpg

SideStock.jpg

SideCoffmans.jpg

FrontCoffmans.jpg

Heck of a change! When I installed my slip on's I never even installed the baffles.

Sorry the pics aren't better. Spent a little time today installing black Coffman's on my bike. I'm happy with the look and surprised how quiet it is with the baffling. I was very worried it would be too loud, but now I'm considering taking the baffling out.

Pretty easy install. Only issue I had was being a moron and breaking one of the clamps. Completely my fault. My air drill made short work of drilling the holes for the rivets. I probably spent the most time just trying to make sure they were similarly positioned on the left and right sides.
View attachment 1569576
View attachment 1569577
View attachment 1569578
View attachment 1569579
View attachment 1569580
What's the sound like? mean as I hope

It sounds nice. I'll try to record a clip today. Like I said, though, it isn't a ton louder, which is a good thing. I did it mostly for the appearance.

It sounds nice. I'll try to record a clip today. Like I said, though, it isn't a ton louder, which is a good thing. I did it mostly for the appearance.
Not a ton louder but i bet a ton lighter now!

They look nice, but I would go nuts after half hour ride with that set up. I started mine with pipes removed so I could move it around and the stuff in my garage was rattling like crazy. Not telling you what to do, but I would Wear some ear protection. Unless you are already deaf and that's why you don't find it to be loud. Lol

They look nice, but I would go nuts after half hour ride with that set up. I started mine with pipes removed so I could move it around and the stuff in my garage was rattling like crazy. Not telling you what to do, but I would Wear some ear protection. Unless you are already deaf and that's why you don't find it to be loud. Lol

You'd be surprised, it really isn't that loud. I rode for about an hour today (in the upper 60's in Ohio in November), wore my half-helmet which I do on chill rides, and the wind rushing over my ears was louder than the pipes unless I was full throttle.

Remember, I left the baffles in. I'm sure it is crazy loud with the baffles out.

I used to own a 2001 Hayabusa with a full high-mount HMF, I think that was louder...

They are really nice pipes and yes with the baffs in they are not super loud. No more so than 2 bros or yoshi. The weight saving is so absurd it probably feels like a new bike.

definitely believe I can feel a difference. I weighed the stock cans and they were almost 32lbs combined. shipping weight for coffman's was 6lbs, so weight loss around 26lbs? You are right, it is absurd...

I have had a set on my 2012 for 2 years now. My only worry is that they might be too light. One of the big reasons that I think the OEM's weight is to assist with traction on the rear end. Without that weight, I have felt the rear tire get a little loose when leaning the bird over on beautiful German curvy roads. Other than that, the Coffman sound great.

I have had a set on my 2012 for 2 years now. My only worry is that they might be too light. One of the big reasons that I think the OEM's weight is to assist with traction on the rear end. Without that weight, I have felt the rear tire get a little loose when leaning the bird over on beautiful German curvy roads. Other than that, the Coffman sound great.

Pretty sure the rest of the 450 pounds will keep u planted!
Troy

A Gen2 Hayabusa weighs 550lbs dry..... The ass end isn't gonna wash out in a turn from removing 26 pounds of exhaust on it. Even with a jockey sized rider of 130lbs your still gonna be pushing Damn near 700 pounds of mass on them 2 tires. Maybe with and extremely light rider and a 10+ inch stretched rear end on brick cold tires.

Understandable. It's one of those things that happens when I push the bird to the limits, but it just tells me that I need to let up a little.

You do realize that when your "pushing it to the limits" the weight of the exhaust has no bearing on whether your bikes tail end slides out or not in a turn.......

Plenty of other viable factors come into play such as lean angle, road conditions, tire psi, tire temperature, tire wear, body positioning, overall riding technique & skill and so on and so on. Least of your concern should be the weight of an exhaust.

You do realize that when your "pushing it to the limits" the weight of the exhaust has no bearing on whether your bikes tail end slides out or not in a turn.......

Plenty of other viable factors come into play such as lean angle, road conditions, tire psi, tire temperature, tire wear, body positioning, overall riding technique & skill and so on and so on. Least of your concern should be the weight of an exhaust.

I agree, because when I think about it, this only happens on a certain old backboard and mot on the other well maintained roads. Also, when a took the bird to the track, she sticks like flypaper. Thanks 1busa. That's an extra confidence builder.

Back