Vance Hines Exhaust Question

Discussion in 'Engine and Performance mods' started by Tb3, May 5, 2017.

1. Tb3

Tb3 Registered

Contests won:
    I installed my vance hines exhaust and I love it!
    I got it new for for $330 shipped from flea Bay.
    Apparently the chrome cans must not be as popular as the black cans. I wanted black, but couldn't find them for less than $800. I opted for the chrome and scuffed them up to a super dull finish with some red Scotch brite and coated them with some low gloss ceramic vht rattle can paint. I drilled out the emblems, painted over the red with high-heat gloss and riveted them back on.
    I haven't rode with them yet, hope to ride tommorow.

My question is has anyone removed the baffles in these? I don't have any intentions of doing so, don't want them any louder and I love the sound, I'm just curious if they do come out. I removed the end tip that has the one screw when I painted them, and it looked like that was all that was holding the baffle in.
    Thanks!

20170504_205651.jpg

2. nosbig

nosbig Registered

Contests won:
    Looks nice, hope you enjoy them.

3. sixpack577

sixpack577 Top Gun Registered

Contests won:
    Baffles are held in by one bolt or one rivot.
    Nice job on the paint, they look like they came that way.

Tb3 likes this.
  4. c10

c10 Registered

Contests won:
    Have a good look @ your springs ! Look nice , but expect down road for paint to fall off .
    Paint , and stainless steel do not mix well like mild steel / alum / other materials .
    Why you dont see DeLorean cars painted as they are made of stainless .

5. Tb3

Tb3 Registered

Contests won:
    good point on the paint c10!
    I have had pretty good luck in the past if I did a good prep first, but certainly don't mean that cant change. I guess since it only takes a couple minutes to remove them and a couple bucks for another can of paint, if I get a year or two out of one paint job, no big deal to do them again. I'll report back if I have any issues.
    I was actually thinking about removing them in a month or so of heat cycles and scuffing them up and doing another good coat over the foundation, when I do that, if the insides are easily assessable I think I would like to fill in the 2 rivot holes in each pipe and eliminate the logo plate. What would you suggest for that? I was thinking either jb weld or some sort of high-heat epoxy.

6. Bailey9r

Bailey9r Registered

Contests won:
    I like the logo AND it adds to making the paint look factory.
    My advise would be to "break in" the paint (if you haven't already) I find when I run just a few seconds then kill it progressing a little longer each time till it smokes a bit. It bakes in the paint on instead of burning it off. Maybe doesnt make too big a difference on the cans (cooler than pipes) but worth a try as it only costs fifteen minutes of your time.

Tb3 likes this.
  7. Tb3

Tb3 Registered

Contests won:
    I've gotten in 3 good rides since the install, so I guess its probably baked in as good as its gonna get.
    paint still looks as nice as the day I sprayed them. I'll probably just leave them alone unless I see the paint start to fade or flake off.
    Thanks guys!