Clutch slipping after installing new oem fibers, plates and springs

Yes.

Yes, the spring washer seat and then the spring washer go first, then the first fiber.

1) The flat ring. (spring washer seat)

2) The cone ring (spring washer) with larger diameter of cone facing out toward you.

3) The first fiber. That first fiber is different than all the others, you can't swap positions with any of the others. The first fiber has a noticeably larger inner diameter than the other fibers.

Now that I look at it, that larger inner diameter of the first fiber might be there to allow the spring washer to fit through the inner diameter. If that's the case, it might not matter if the the spring washer seat and then the spring washer were put in first or if the first fiber was put in first. The spring washer might be meant to pass through the first fiber and press against the first steel.

Either way, you have to tear it apart again and check what's going on.

Damn busa brothers, we have to have a picture of a kawasucky to show how to put a busa together?

Here is a picture of my 14's clutch plate install. The blue dots mark the slits. The yellow bands mark the fingers. Between the fingers, there is a groove that all the tongues on the inner fibers fit in. The outer fiber tongues do not go in the grooves between the fingers like the others. You turn the outer fiber one space so it's tongues fit in the slits. The slits and fingers alternate all around the basket. Fingers, slits, fingers, slits, fingers, slits.... ok this is serious no jokes, please.
View attachment 1619420

Once again, I'm telling you what the Gen2 service manual shows. I don't want to post that because you have a Gen1 and I'm about 90% certain your clutch is not the same as mine. Also, we have a ZX-14 clutch here as an example for a busa clutch but it's probably a better picture of the slits than what you will see in either the Gen1 or Gen2 busa manual.

Here's a link I found on another thread to Gen1 busa service manual. I didn't want to even get it on my computer, I backed out. No idea if this carries a virus or not. There's a link on the last post that goes to some site that has a button marked 99-07 Hayabusa Service Manual. Try your luck if you want.

WOULD somebody PLEASE get this man a Gen1 service manual??

PLEASE??

now I see what you were talking about but is this the correct way? just being for certain

15901075831753549239728829280645.jpg

Yep, that looks like my 14's clutch. The outer fiber plate goes in the slits, all the other fibers go in the fingers. You got it.

Your previous picture is very interesting. It does appear that the seat ring and the cone ring do pass through the larger inner diameter of the innermost fiber. As you said early on, they fit right inside the first fiber even if you put the first fiber in before you put the seat and the cone in. The cone presses against the innermost steel, it seems. The book says seat, cone, first fiber so that's how I'd do it but if you can pull those rings in and out with the first fiber in, it doesn't matter. Put the rings back in and keep installing the plates.

It's difficult to tell from your previous picture but it looks to me like the small diameter of the cone ring is facing out. If so, that is incorrect. The large diameter of the cone ring faces out toward you as you install it. Hope that was just deceptive lighting in the pic. Like I said, it's hard to tell.

Another thing, I wasn't trying to tell you the whole procedure; just the first three steps and also the last step with turning the outermost fiber to fit the slits rather than the fingers. The fibers and steels have very specific order of placement on the Gen2. As Berlin said, the Gen1 and Gen2 have similar clutches. However, I don't know if he meant they were similar enough that you could follow the Gen2 service manual instruction for both Gen1 and Gen2.

Did you get ahold of a Gen1 service manual download? No harm in looking at the Gen2 SM Berlin posted a link to. He would know if the clutch installation procedures are similar enough to use on a Gen1 but I do not.

Last edited:
Another thing, careful that center needle bearing doesn't fall out. On my 14 it just slides into position by hand. The clutch pressure plate you removed to access the clutch plates is what hold that center needle bearing in. With the pressure plate off, the clutch fluid pressure could push the rod from the slave on the other side through the crankcase. The rod could extend far enough to push the needle bearing out and it will drop on the floor (or down into the sump). Definitely will if the clutch lever is pulled with the pressure plate off. Just a little precaution....LOL you might be better to just press it back in with your thumb every several hours. There could be very small parts that might fall apart if you pull it out. I took mine out on my 14 and I'm pretty sure the needle bearing came off of that button shaped main body. The needle bearing was stuck on there by an oil film and that was all. Just a heads up on that.

Last edited:
@KYBUSA502

this is the washer springs in first then fiber. but like mr Brown said it fits inside the diameter.

View attachment 1619458

and here the ´99-´02 (gen1) is downloadable

- get it
- read it with eagle´s eyes
- follow discriptions step by step (finicky) - see the drawings - there you can see in which order parts have to be assembled (follow the lines)

and test the long bolts (clutch spring support bolts) shown in your pic.
if they are not glued in, this can happen to you. (the - my - site is in german but the pictures should be explanatory enough )

see for this also gen1´s manual page 3-111

I strongly recommend doing this - otherwise the follow-up costs will be horrendous.

the best choice (here alone - nowhere else) is loctite 603 .

1st thing in the basket the springs/washer. Next is this disk

image.jpg

It is smaller that the others. Then a plate and disk and so forth till the last one which is offset by a tooth. You picture apperars to have spring then plate then disk. I may not be seeing that right

8EA83B18-AD97-43E9-BD01-05055476E3F3.jpeg

Also did you measure your stack height?

C5944A15-1F61-4FD3-8D72-9FB2ADB1B1E9.jpeg

Last edited:
1st thing in the basket the springs/washer. Next is this disk

View attachment 1619473

It is smaller that the others. Then a plate and disk and so forth till the last one which is offset by a tooth. You picture apperars to have spring then plate then disk. I may not be seeing that right

View attachment 1619474

ok yall I got it! its pulling harder then it ever has! I'm so dam happy I got that out the way and I wanted to say I really appreciate everybody's help on this. so I think all that was wrong was I didnt have the red on the fibers all in line and I didnt have the last one turned like in the picture. also I put 2 HD springs in and my slave rod clutch bracket came in so I put it on also. it feels very good and stiff. not too stiff but solid. if I'm not crazy i honestly feel like the bike pulls alot harder when accelerating like my cluch must have been slipping before and I didnt notice it. and as far as the ring washers I just went by the book I dont know if it matters about going in first or not.

ok yall I got it! its pulling harder then it ever has! I'm so dam happy I got that out the way and I wanted to say I really appreciate everybody's help on this. so I think all that was wrong was I didnt have the red on the fibers all in line and I didnt have the last one turned like in the picture. also I put 2 HD springs in and my slave rod clutch bracket came in so I put it on also. it feels very good and stiff. not too stiff but solid. if I'm not crazy i honestly feel like the bike pulls alot harder when accelerating like my cluch must have been slipping before and I didnt notice it. and as far as the ring washers I just went by the book I dont know if it matters about going in first or not.

Back