Clutch Slipping After Oil Change?

Jeremy112113

Registered
Hey everyone,

I have an 05 Hayabusa with 56,xxx miles. I replaced the clutch with oem steels, fibers, and springs about 3,000 miles ago. At the same time, I overhauled the clutch master cylinder due to it sticking. When I did that, I used a mighty vac with new Dot4 fluid. I know I don't slip the clutch or abuse the clutch when I ride and only do high end pulls. It started to slip today in 6th gear WOT around 6,000 rpm. When it did this the rpm increased by about 2,000 and then dropped once it 'caught' and lurched forward. It happened again in 2nd and 3rd gear WOT around 6-7k rpm. Today was my first ride after changing the oil from Valvoline 10w-40 Full Syn to Rotella T6 15-40. The bike also does not have an oil cooler and the restrictor is removed.

My questions: would my oil be the culprit? I did some research and it isn't likely, what is everyone's thoughts? I wanted to get some insight before I actually pulled the clutch cover. Any help is greatly appreciated! Thank you.

Isn't Rotella T6 for cars? I thought the low friction additives in car oil is bad for clutch packs in wet clutch motorcycles

Yeah, see that's what I figured. I feel like if it was the Rotella, it would take more than the 100 miles that I put on it today.
A lot of people run it in their turbo bikes. I have read they changed formula a year or so ago. I have not looked in to details and I continue to run it.

Rotella is diesel engine oil. As Matthew said, a lot of turbo bikes run it with no issues. It's unlikely to be the issue.

So I took pictures, my clutch looks good but there is black soot on the inside (pictured) if it isn't my clutch, would it probably be my transmission?
IMG_20200313_235551.jpg
IMG_20200313_235625.jpg
IMG_20200313_235809.jpg
IMG_20200313_235852.jpg
IMG_20200313_235911.jpg

Looks to be nothing wrong with those fibers or steels.Does the oil say "Energy Conserving" in the circle on the back of the jug?
Rubb

Looks to be nothing wrong with those fibers or steels.Does the oil say "Energy Conserving" in the circle on the back of the jug?
Rubb
No, it doesn't say it. I checked for that when I picked it up from the store. I did check my clutch fluid revoir and it was low. Is it possible that this black soot is this fluid leaking into here somehow?

The black ’soot’ is the natural degrading (wear) of the fibers from the plates and also contributes to a darker oil.
Okay, this makes sense. So if the clutch is good, where else should I check? My fear is the transmission being worn and needing machined/worked. What would the symptoms be? I can't find specific symptoms for my situation.

Okay, this makes sense. So if the clutch is good, where else should I check? My fear is the transmission being worn and needing machined/worked. What would the symptoms be? I can't find specific symptoms for my situation.
Sorry, I just realized you put the mileage in your original post. Old eyes....my bad.
If the transmission was bad, it wouldn't slip and catch. The symptoms you describe are what happens when your clutch isn't engaging properly. Since you started having issues after rebuilding the m/c it's likely to be clutch related. Check the slave cover for cracks, check the lines for leaks, check the reservoir for a bad seal.

Back