check your CRACKS!

I believe this is a "Stress Fracture" caused by a host of things..... Maybe the crash contributed, but the frame flexing due to Heavy acceleration & the use of a strut/straps at the drag strip wouldn't be out of line either.

last time I check my crack there was a hole in it
laugh.gif

I've spent 25 years of my life as a Tool & Die Machinist/Fabricator for companies such as Pratt & Whitney Aircrafts Large Military R&D out of West Palm Beach, FL and Piper Aircraft and am amazed at some of the welding processes the motorcycle industy incorporates...for instance...welding hydro-formed aluminum extruded tubing too major aluminum castings is about as close to fusing two dis-simular materials as one can get at they are two very different types of aluminum...with regards to all aspects of metalurgical characteristics...including malability and the level of silicates alloyed into each different type of aluminum based material...cast VS extruded & formed...then they select a filler rod that kinda sorta meets spec in a 1/2 @$$'ed sorta way in an effort to fuse the two materials together....now this method can be used to just sorta stick the primary components together but it is not relied upon in a mannor of structural integrity...for that?...the complex weldment details are primarily "Mechanically Locked"....(for instance the casting might have precision fit protrusions that slip-fit the ID of the extruded tube)...and then the weld itself is only relied upon to hold the primary components in place...with a mechanically locked interface.

cache...ks waterebug is on the money...take it to a weld shop...have the crack F.P.I.'ed (fluid penetrant inspected)..to make certain that they first "Stop Drill" both ends of the cracking...then fully route the crack out for proper weld penetration and clean with isopropyl alcohol for a clean weld prep and then lay down a nice hot bead and then finish off by filling and closing up both stop drill holes at either end.

Remove the tank, plastic and clutch line...(if the crack is on the clutch side)....this is a 1/2 hour to 1 hour job by any reputable weld shop...that includes a pi$$ break, coffee and a donut. LOL!!!

Small potatoes...no worry....good luck and L8R, Bill.
cool.gif

Let's get crackin on this.......

I know, i know..................

Strange area for a crack to develope(not in the middle of the weld)? Glad it was spotted before something bad happened.

I check mine every so often (wrecked in 03) so far it's been okay.

Keep us posted

Patrick

Back