need help with crack. no not that kind

thugimmortal68

Registered
there is a crack on my busa on the frame right on the weld up front by the forks. im in san diego i need some 1 to weld it that knows what thery are doing! if any one knows about any place that might do it for a reasonable price please reply!! also i need to know if the crack on the frame is major!!

Picture_001.jpg

First off
post-52-02136-welcome.gif

Ease up on the wheelies! Work on the landing a little.

I would be nervous too, and I think that an insurance company would total the bike.

Do you have insurance?

Insurance companies will total a bike with frame damage... a crack on a weld is not good... i'm not a metal worker but i dont think that can be repaired either because its on a weld... There are some metal working guys on the board... hopefully they will chime in soon...

I would go with the insurance route myself, but with it being on the weld.  A person could have the weld ground out and re-welded by a certified welder (I wouldn't trust anyone that isn't certified to do it).  The weld is just connecting a joint already.  With the weld ground out properly and rewelded it should be just as strong.

I know that you don't want to send the bike to the boneyard, but I'd cut my losses after the crash. Have it totalled and buy a new Busa.

You should total it. Even IF you get someone to weld it, there may be other structural damage that you cannot see!

It's a loss! Your (or anyone else's) life is not worth it.

(SpeedGeek @ Apr. 11 2007,19:03) You should total it.  Even IF you get someone to weld it, there may be other structural damage that you cannot see!  

It's a loss!  Your (or anyone else's) life is not worth it.
+1

Like I said, I'd let the insurance take care of getting a new bike.  That crack maybe just the evidence of other problems that haven't happened yet. If they won't total it you need to atleast get a new frame out of it.

he said in another post that he didnt have insurance...

(Sloto200 @ Apr. 11 2007,19:27) he said in another post that he didnt have insurance...
OOPS. I would replace the frame. It will add some more to the cost, but you need to know you have a solid foundation to rebuild on. Maybe one of the board sponsors has one at a reasonable price.

I posted about the broken oil line connection, thought that was broken while trying to remove the fitting, But after seeing this and your other post for parts!!! Its time to cut your losses and get another bike! After all this is a very powerful machine and I would not trust it !!! There is other damage you can not see, if you must fix this then pull the engine out and strip it to the bare frame and have it magna-fluxed (instected with an ultraviolet dye) most machine shops that rebuild automotive engines can do this! This process will find cracks not visable to the naked eye.
Good luck!

my life means more to me that riding a bike with a cracked frame, repaired or not.

just my .02

the one person i talked to said that if the only place the frame is cracked is at the very front there is a chance it is not bent, and welding there is not that critical, as it is hot "between the wheels" so there is not much stress on it. so i am trying to get another peoples input on it 2

If you successfully part it out on e-bay, you may make enough money to buy a new one outright. Might be the best alternative.

--Wag--

Back