Need help!

UR IT!

MIDNIGHT FALCON
Donating Member
Registered
I cracked my upper plastics while putting in a new windscreen...
cussing.gif
...it cracked from my windscreen almost to my mirror. I'm sooo PO'd.. Can this be fixed or do I need to replace my whole upper fairing? If I replace it, could someone guide me as far as price and where is the best place to order from? I've got an 02 SE if that makes a difference....

I appreciate any help anyone could offer me...

Thanks in advance,
Dan

Unless you have experience doin' bodywork, repairin' plastics, and paintin', and I'm assumin' you don't since yer askin' for help, you'll prolly have to pay someone to repair the piece and paint it. Of course another option is to buy a new upper from Suzuki or find a used one in the classifieds or on ebay and have it painted to match yer bike.

No, I have absolutely no experience repairing plastic...Are repairs cost effective or should I look to replace it altogether?
Thanks for your reply Train.

Dan

Depends on who you get to fix it. You may end up payin' a fair chunk in labor if you use a good shop like you should. I'd price a new one through Kathy in the Classified section on this site. Some say that her prices are unbeatable. Then I'd get an estimate on havin' the cracked one fixed. It'd have to be a pretty big difference for me to go with fixin' it. Keep in mind that you could always ebay the cracked one or sell it in the classified section to someone who is willing to fix it themselves and use it as a painter piece. Then you'd have a new, uncracked/unrepaired upper on your beloved busa and the price would be offset somewhat by selling the cracked one. Just something to think about...
wink.gif

One problem with fixin it......the crack is always there, just under the surface......waitin for yer next windscreen change.
No experiance. get one off ebay.
I got a mint one from ebay for $96 US.......usually they're much more but I was in no big hurry, so I just waited til I found the right price.
Should be able to get one off ebay no prob for aroun 2hun or so.....even in a hurry

I checked with my Suzuki retailer...A new upper, painted body color already, is $325 uninstalled. The ones that are on E-bay now will need to be painted and look as though they will run somewhere around $200 by auctions end.

I guess I will probably go with a new one, now that I think about what you said MSF, about the crack always being there. Gotta put a dollar value on that, and I'd lay another hundred or so to have a new one with no worries.

How do I look up Kathy? Maybe I can get a better price on a new one with SE black paint already thrown on.

What really bites about all this is it will be 64 degrees today and beautiful as hell. I think I might just throw some super glue on it and go for a ride anyway.
idea.gif

. I'd price a new one through Kathy in the Classified section on this site. Some say that her prices are unbeatable.
I found a couple of Kathy's posts in the classified section. Looks like she could get one for $307 plus shipping which is around the same as through Suzuki( walk up price that is).

The crack is not a big deal when you ride is it? I would just take your time and wait for the right one off eBay to come along.

The crack is not a big deal when you ride is it?  I would just take your time and wait for the right one off eBay to come along.
It was lifting up in the wind and spidering. Today I just super glued it and took off. It was way too beautiful out to worry about it any more.

I'm just gonna order a new one from Suzuki. I'm one of those can't stand knowing something is screwed up on my bike even if I'm the only one that can see it. This thing a blind person would notice. Even though coming off the cash sucks, I want it fixed yesterday.

As always, I appreciate everyones help and guidence

Thanks,
beerchug.gif

Dan

If you decide to let the cracked one go, let me know how much. I might get it to use as a custom paint display piece if the price is right.
wink.gif

You should drill stop the crack while waiting for your replacement. Using a small drill bit, drill a small hole at the end of the crack which will keep it from spreading further.

You should drill stop the crack while waiting for your replacement.  Using a small drill bit, drill a small hole at the end of the crack which will keep it from spreading further.
Good idea... A little 200 mph tape (duct tape) over the crack would stop it from liftin' in the wind, too.
wink.gif

Ron Ayers has black '02 "upper cowling" (I think that's the part) for $262.37 (that's already painted, btw).
http://www.ronayers.com/browseparts.cfm?searchstring=94401-24F40-019

...and this is their list whole list of OEM parts for that year and color:
http://www.ronayers.com/categor....olor=57
They said 3 to 10 days depending on availibility, so if you don't hear from me for a week or so don't fret.

Thanks MCOYOTE for the lead on parts, I can always use plenty of references. This is my second spring/summer with the busa so I know I'll need em.

Dan

Back