Mysterious fairing cracks

TallTom

Registered
I was cleaning up Bridgette yesterday when I noticed that my upper fairing between the windscreen and the mirror mount there is a small crack. No impact marks and nothing that I can recall even getting close to it. It was not there a week ago (or at least not that I saw and I usually look everything over good when I clean). It is a hairline crack. No movement when flxed. Suspect but don't know if it goes all the way through or not. It is about an inch and a half long. It does not touch either the windscreen nor the mirror mounting holes but it is in betwen them. If I could describe how it would sem like it happened, it would sem like the type crack you'd get from a heavy yet small in point object. Ok like I was to lean my weight on the spot using only my thumbtip for the point of conttact. Like a stress fracture rather than an impact fracture. Won't show up very well on a pic. I will keep trying for a shot that looks like it will show it.

It can't be fixed and it isn't really what I'd call noticeable as long as it does not continue to worsen.

So how common is this? Anyone else had anything similar?

I have the exact same problem. It just showed up between the windscreen and right mirror. Will try to snap a pict later. I tend to hang my lid on that mirror, wonder if that caused it? You ever do that?

I have cracks around the frankenstein bolts on the tail but not problem at the wind screen.

Josh

sounds like your windscreen bolts might be to tight... Some people think that tightening those windscreen bolts will get rid of the buzzing they hear but it doesnt...

OK let me get up to speed here. No I don't hang my helmet on my mirror.

The thought of the windscreen bolt being too tight I will take that into consideration. I have had my windscreen off a few times and can't recall why I would have tightened them up excessively this time but it is certainly worth verifying.

Kind of seems like the crack would have started at the attach point if it was too tight. But that is just MHO only. Good input to check out.

I'm still open to hear other ideas.

I have that on my other bike. Right now Im more concerned about how to fix it than to find the problem. Ive seen other posts on this board in the appearance section where members prep plastic using a sodering iron (sp?) to fill the crack, bondo and sand prior to paint.

One of the body guys will chime in... I hope.

If it isn't very noticable, you can weld it from the inside to keep it from getting worse without having to repaint it.

I had the same problem with my Puig Double Bubble and I was told that the down force caused the stress crack. I replaced the front nose and put on the stock windscreen.

I have had this problem 3 times . above headlight starts out as a crease then small crack. noticed when im riding my fairings all had a slight flex when it was hot out . and next day crack just get bigger. went to Suzuki and they don't have an answer for it. 1 time I can deal with it but 3 and this is my show bike and I do not beat it at all. I think they got cheap on fairings after 2008

Back