Hayabusa frame

danro

Registered
I bought a hayabusa main frame on ebay and after a closer inspection i noticed something that looks like a weld crack on the neck.
The seller claims there is no worry about this and this is normal and the frame is in good condition.

By close eye inspection this looks like a crack from the inside, the base of the weld seems cracked.

What do you think, is this frame safe to be driven ?
is this really in a good condition ?

DSC03807.jpg

DSC03811.jpg

It is a oem weld. My MOT rules here does not allow me to use a bike with re-welds so i am asking how safe is to use this frame with that crack, as it is, without rewelds.
Should i use this or should i start looking for another frame ?

I cant see the crack either.
If it's cracked, then it's no good!

Hit it with a dye kit from the inside. If you see any dye come out from the opposite side, I'd be asking for my money back.

This is a tubular frame, you cant access the weld from the inside. I insert a snake camera and there are only few small weld points on the inside and all of them are cracked.
The shop guys that check this told me the weld is cracked from the inside and it's a high risk for the crack to expand. They did a 3 spray test but i was not there.
They also said the weld mark we can see in the picture (it looks more continuous in real, but the camera cant spot exactly) is not normal, even if the seller keep saying me thats normal.
Also this is the first time i see this on a aluminium frame, should i simply risk and use this frame or should i trust the shop guys and return the frame for one without weird marks on welds ?

This is a tubular frame, you cant access the weld from the inside. I insert a snake camera and there are only few small weld points on the inside and all of them are cracked.
The shop guys that check this told me the weld is cracked from the inside and it's a high risk for the crack to expand. They did a 3 spray test but i was not there.
They also said the weld mark we can see in the picture (it looks more continuous in real, but the camera cant spot exactly) is not normal, even if the seller keep saying me thats normal.
Also this is the first time i see this on a aluminium frame, should i simply risk and use this frame or should i trust the shop guys and return the frame for one without weird marks on welds ?

What were the results of the 3 spray test? Hard to tell if it's normal without another frame to cross reference. If the guys at the shop say it's cracked, get official documentation for it and then return the frame with the documentation for a safer frame.

If I was racing, I wouldn't even think twice. Safety is paramount!

Back