Check out this twin turbo setup

A'Busa'd

Donating Member
Registered
Rear mounted turbos for the C5 Corvette and other vehicles!

When I first saw it I thought it was odd, but now that I've investigated and educated myself on the system, it's quite innovative!

Turbos are mounted far from the engine, reducing under-hood temps. Exhaust gases have a little time to cool before reaching the turbos, so they run cooler and last longer. Because the forced air from the turbos has to run through piping back to the throttle body at the front of the car, the compressed air has the length of the pipe to cool off. No intercooler needed in most applications (C5 gets an intercooler). The HP numbers are impressive as well. Stock Z06 went from 345 RWHP to 535 RWHP with just 6 pounds of boost!

I'm seriously considering this setup.

img_2124.jpeg

My first obvious question is, how do they hold up to the weather. They seem to have ZERO protection from the elements and road debris. Seems like an awful lot of money to smash up while driving down the road.

Looks very cool though. I'm not sure about price comparision, but if your running an innercooler anyways as you state for the C5.......I'd keep it under the hood where it belongs.

My first obvious question is, how do they hold up to the weather.  They seem to have ZERO protection from the elements and road debris.  Seems like an awful lot of money to smash up while driving down the road.

Looks very cool though.  I'm not sure about price comparision, but if your running an innercooler anyways as you state for the C5.......I'd keep it under the hood where it belongs.
I don't think the weather would have any effect on them. They're heavy, cast units. Same goes for road debris. If you hit something big enough to damage the castings, you'd have other problems as well.

With the turbos so far from the engine, wouldn't turbo lag be an issue? Also, aren't the turbos a bit exposed?

These turbo systems have been around for awhile,most of the guys like running these setups because they are stealth,but they have proven to have more problems than conventional systems due to oiling issues as well as well as all the extra pipeing requires more hose connections and most of these systems wont use v-band clamps due to the excessive cost.Its kind of cool but just not the most efficient way to make large horsepower.These systems originally came from the diesel market where guys that had older not turbo rigs would convert to turbo for the power gains,but there again you have alot more room and ground clearance under a 3/4 ton truck than under that c5 vette.I have some buds that specialize in performance late model corvettes threre website is www.moderndaymusclecars.com.Over the past few years I have seen them do many big inch all motor cars,blown cars using every blower out there,nitrous cars as well as single and twin turbo cars.All of them are cool in there own way but honestly the biggest most reliable horsepower you can pull out of the LS1 or 6 liter setup comes from a basic stroker motor with a quality forged bottom end using a procharger D1SC"in my opinion" lol.The procharger is all self contained and works perfectly in street applications.They have done some wicked single and twin turbo setups but at the end of the day its usually just bragging rights for peak power numbers,and you usually have to detune for the street to a point where its just not fun anymore.But when you get ready to get boosted give them a call or drop me a pm and I can tell you what I have seen firsthand so you dont have to spend a ton of money doing things twice.Plus I used to do there machine work so I know some of there little tricks.Well anyway,I hope this helps.And I just cant resist putting up a pic of my bud tims 10.5" turbo set up,still worlds fastest on a 10.5.

IMG_2935.jpg

They would have saved a few pounds putting the turbos up near the clutch housing. Then they could still have the mufflers required to keep it legal. If it's a drag only car (not streetable) then less backpressure is good. If you want streetable, it's a good idea to not let them hear you coming from 2 miles away.

Procharger or Magnuson are both options in my book. The Procharger is less intrusive to install, but the Magnuson is much quieter, and provides better boost at lower RPMs.

You all will have to read the material on the website.

The system is certainly not intended to replace setups like your buddy's, crunch320, but I think there are benefits as I described above, including the ability to put the car back to stock fairly quickly.

Regarding the mufflers, or lack of them, the site says that the turbos act as mufflers, reducing noise to reasonable levels, although louder than stock. Further, the turbos themselves provide plenty of back pressure, so no concern there.

I've not seen this done as a twin turbo before. The "remote" turbo systems have alot of benifits for street use. Turbo lag is no more noticable than with an intercooled turbo under the hood. A single system is good for up to 60% HP increase. I thought the same thing as alot of the comments above last year when I saw it for the first time. I don't know about long term reliability, but the dyno doesn't lie.

This looks like a cool option for the spatially challenged engine compartments of todays rides. But the cool air going into the turbo and the distance from the exhaust port(and back to the intake plenum) would seem to be contradictory to everything I have seen in turbo setups over the past 30 years. Most of the turbo set ups you see try to get the turbo as close to the exhaust ports as possible to get maximum velocity. This apparently works though so what the heck. Kudos to them for trying something new.

There is one car here that has a big inch LS1 with a relatively small camshaft for the application and twin 60's he's running borla stingers with no cats,or resonators and its just as quiet as a stock Z06 at idle and it makes just a hair over 980 RWHP.Its fun just because its quiet and and no exterior modifications have been made so it just looks like an innocent stock Z06.But there again I do love my 69 C10 with solid roller 540 with collector mufflers and turn downs,I dont know what I like,lol.

Back