Initial Turbo Setup

65Cobra

Registered
As I mentioned in another post (Wastegate Spring Pressure), I'm almost finished with a near complete upgrade of the Mr Turbo kit on my 99 Busa. In the next week or so I'll be ready to purchase anything I need to properly setup the bike and could use some help.

Components I need to setup/adjust are a Power Commander USB and BEGI MR2035 FMU.

For Air/Fuel management I want to buy something I can also use on my car, a Cobra Replica, so I was looking at the LM-2 and Air/Fuel Ratio Display from Innovate Motorsports.

What all do I need to purchase to get this job done?

In what order do I perform the steps needed to perform a complete setup.

Although I'll need to load a preliminary map into the Power Commander, I'm not sure what to buy, or what steps to follow, in setting up the air/fuel mixture when there are so many factors to consider... rpm, throttle postion, boost, fuel pressure, etc.

I didn't think this post would go this long without any replies and I could really use some help since we plan to fire up the bike on Sunday. I purchased the Innovate LM-2 and need to set up the PCIII USB and BEGI FMU. Here are my thoughts but there are a lot of assumptions being made...

Someone recommended initially adjusting the BEGI this way... GENTLY turn the small needle valve on top the BEGI all the way in, then back it out 3/4 to 1 turn to get it close to the proper setting. The comment was it should put me on the rich side... but better too rich than too lean.

I need to set the fuel pressure at idle to 43 psi. Can I safely start the bike with a stock PCIII USB map if it's only going to idle, or would it be a good idea to hot wire the fuel pump to the battery first and set the fuel pressure without starting the bike, because I have no idea where that pressure is set at now since everything has been replaced.

Once the above are done, I'm not sure what's my next move without worrying about burning a hole in my pistons. A while back someone gave me a map that was put together using a datalogger. The notes said it was good for 10 psi boost, 43 psi fuel pressure @ idle, and 95-100 psi at boost. I thought I would load this in the PCIII USB for starters but I got an error saying it wasn't compatible... something about 127 and 111. Any help?

I admit I have to read more about the PCIII maps, but I tried comparing a couple maps using the latest PCIII USB Control Center Software and haven't been able to make any sense of it, especially why the values fluctuate so wildly, or why there are negative as well as positive values... but I'll keep reading.

Hopefully I can get some information this time around. Thanks.

for all you have invested, why wouldnt you just take it to an experienced tuner? for $250 or so, you can save a lot of time and headaches... (you only get one "lean out" error and you get to work on the motor).. A good tuner will map it rich and work it down from there.. (never get a "before" baseline run on a new turbo motor)

Seems a bit "off" to risk thousands to save a couple hundred.. A "fairly close" map could be a total disaster IMO...

Last edited:
for all you have invested, why wouldnt you just take it to an experienced tuner? for $250 or so, you can save a lot of time and headaches... (you only get one "lean out" error and you get to work on the motor).. A good tuner will map it rich and work it down from there.. (never get a "before" baseline run on a new turbo motor)

Seems a bit "off" to risk thousands to save a couple hundred.. A "fairly close" map could be a total disaster IMO...

Point well taken...

I don't want a disaster either which is why the intial setup has been delayed. I contacted several places and was told it would cost $500-$700 for them to make a map for my bike so I put that money towards the Innovate LM-2, which I could still return if I wanted to. The idea was to have it available for my 65 Cobra replica, my friends bikes and cars, etc. But yes, at this point the only one that's at risk is "my" bike. I would like to find a rich map... so would it be reasonable to take a "fairly close" turbo map and modify it to make it richer?

Live near Pittsburgh PA. I realize the cost they are telling me is out of line compared to the comments here but I thought of having the Mr Turbo map refined 8 years ago, and they wanted $350 to $400 then... at that's when they had a starting map to begin with. Certainly didn't get any cheaper.

Back