Liquid to Air Intercooled Plenum

Don't know crap but Richard just warned someone about the crap out there. Hopefully Richard or Frank will see this and post up some advice

try rccturbos 1st

I've looked into RCC's kits, they're great. If I do end up going with a "kit" it will certainly be the one. Also though, I'm a guy that loves options and choosing for myself what goes into a build. If I can squeeze in some extra intake cooling and help prevent detonation with pump gas or have a faster spooling turbo for a earlier boost......I'm gonna choose my options myself before I buy a "kit" that prevents that.

I also care about proven tech and the opinion of mechanics / mechanically inclined "Men", lol sorry can't say I've ever met a woman on my level there. If a builder / pro busa guy chimes in and tells me this unit is complete trash, it leaked, bad welds, didn't fit right, or just simply a waste of money and not needed. I will certainly respect and combine that information they've given, then continue to make my own choice.

I've looked into RCC's kits, they're great. If I do end up going with a "kit" it will certainly be the one. Also though, I'm a guy that loves options and choosing for myself what goes into a build. If I can squeeze in some extra intake cooling and help prevent detonation with pump gas or have a faster spooling turbo for a earlier boost......I'm gonna choose my options myself before I buy a "kit" that prevents that.

I also care about proven tech and the opinion of mechanics / mechanically inclined "Men", lol sorry can't say I've ever met a woman on my level there. If a builder / pro busa guy chimes in and tells me this unit is complete trash, it leaked, bad welds, didn't fit right, or just simply a waste of money and not needed. I will certainly respect and combine that information they've given, then continue to make my own choice.

You can do all that work and try to reinvent the wheel or you can just call RCC (someone that has spent the time and done all the work, research and testing) and get what works the first time with a lot less headache, wasted time and money but it's your choice... :laugh:

You can do all that work and try to reinvent the wheel or you can just call RCC (someone that has spent the time and done all the work, research and testing) and get what works the first time with a lot less headache, wasted time and money but it's your choice... :laugh:

I certainly am not trying to reinvent anything and it's great that there are people that have done research and testing. There's also always more testing to do and shops like RCC, this liquid plenum could be the next "test". Maybe a "Super Ultra stage 2 kit" would be the first to utilize the newly tested part. Only such people can provide "quality" bolt on kits and feedback to people like me that don't have the resources to test myself. Yeh kits are great, they make it simple, but can you improve a "kit" with an additional part.....hell yes and I intend to.

If you haven't already ,made 600 plus hp and have to ask a question this simple about a plenum you saw on ebay. I would say that not trying to reinvent the wheel would be a fine choice..If you already know it all, why ask this question? Call them and find out the truth on their product by asking certain questions that would prove it's good or bad and report bacl..There is a reason the new rcc 1000hp product is in the works. evolution doesn't stop people just do...

I certainly am not trying to reinvent anything and it's great that there are people that have done research and testing. There's also always more testing to do and shops like RCC, this liquid plenum could be the next "test". Maybe a "Super Ultra stage 2 kit" would be the first to utilize the newly tested part. Only such people can provide "quality" bolt on kits and feedback to people like me that don't have the resources to test myself. Yeh kits are great, they make it simple, but can you improve a "kit" with an additional part.....hell yes and I intend to.

Last edited:
If you haven't already ,made 600 plus hp and have to ask a question this simple. If you already know it all, why ask this question?

Simple question of a product review is too much? RCC turbo kits is the only thing known on this site? They know everything, there's nothing better? A stage 1 RCC kit would be worse with this water plenum? That is the answer I'm getting here....?

Not quite sure how to take your post Golden. Honestly seemed kinda harsh, I come from the shadows of the forum just to ask if anybody here had actual experience with this, that's all. Wasn't putting down anybody or their products down. Just looking for a review of a nice looking product and thought this would be the best place to look.

If you really want me to ask a stupid question...here goes. I want to produce 3-400hp off 91 octane pump fuel while being a touring street bike. Will this liquid plenum help prevent detonation keep things cool?

A better question would be is it worth going the extra mile. As in any real benefit to having it... Will it allow 87 octane fuel? If I have it, will water injection be necessary? Will having it allow me to bypass using a standard intercooler/plenum?

Yet there is still even more specific questions like. Can the stock water pump handle the extra resistance load? I may know a lot but I don't know everything, so I thought by coming here I would find some useful info. Instead I got the, send it to a builder and let them decide with a "proven" prebuilt RCC answer.

If you really want me to ask a stupid question...here goes. I want to produce 3-400hp off 91 octane pump fuel while being a touring street bike. Will this liquid plenum help prevent detonation keep things cool?

A better question would be is it worth going the extra mile. As in any real benefit to having it... Will it allow 87 octane fuel? If I have it, will water injection be necessary? Will having it allow me to bypass using a standard intercooler/plenum?

Yet there is still even more specific questions like. Can the stock water pump handle the extra resistance load? I may know a lot but I don't know everything, so I thought by coming here I would find some useful info. Instead I got the, send it to a builder and let them decide with a "proven" prebuilt RCC answer.

the air water plenum will allow you to run more boost, some say up to 18lbs. I run mine on pump gas at 15lbs, so far with no problems. I would never ever run 87 octane in a turbo, that's asking for disaster, 93 with ethanol is much safer. Loose the water injection. Yes, liquid air is much better then an inner cooled plenum. Keep in mind you will need the heat exchanger (1/2 radiator) in front of stock radiator, with water lines to a separate water pump. This pump is wired in separately so the stock pump does not run the water to the plenum. I believe my pump i takes about an amp to run, wired in with a relay.

The SRP chargecooler will work fine. Some people get carried away almost to the point of bullying others in their beliefs of what people should do & where they should spend their money. Im sure its not intentional but it makes for a bad case of bias

The SRP chargecooler will work fine. Some people get carried away almost to the point of bullying others in their beliefs of what people should do & where they should spend their money. Im sure its not intentional but it makes for a bad case of bias

The SRP intercooler comes from Stedman, who does not have a perfect track record for delivering what people pay for. He is essentially copying RCC's product and has no data to back up any of his claims. The concept of water to air intercooling is not new, and in theory works very well. RCC, on the other hand, has logged HOURS of test data with Motecs, Marrellis, and Aimsport loggers, to name a few. RCC's data comes from many venues - landspeed racing, drag racing and a host of aggressive street riders. Keep in mind that POWERHOUSE installs, tunes, services and sells a number of turbo systems, including RCC. There is a reason you see so many people setting so many records using RCC turbos. You can call it 'bias' if you like, I like to call it a solid track record backed up by a great company with a great record of service both before and after the sale.:poke:

The SRP intercooler comes from Stedman, who does not have a perfect track record for delivering what people pay for. He is essentially copying RCC's product and has no data to back up any of his claims. The concept of water to air intercooling is not new, and in theory works very well. RCC, on the other hand, has logged HOURS of test data with Motecs, Marrellis, and Aimsport loggers, to name a few. RCC's data comes from many venues - landspeed racing, drag racing and a host of aggressive street riders. Keep in mind that POWERHOUSE installs, tunes, services and sells a number of turbo systems, including RCC. There is a reason you see so many people setting so many records using RCC turbos. You can call it 'bias' if you like, I like to call it a solid track record backed up by a great company with a great record of service both before and after the sale.:poke:

Amen,

the air water plenum will allow you to run more boost, some say up to 18lbs. I run mine on pump gas at 15lbs, so far with no problems. I would never ever run 87 octane in a turbo, that's asking for disaster, 93 with ethanol is much safer. Loose the water injection. Yes, liquid air is much better then an inner cooled plenum. Keep in mind you will need the heat exchanger (1/2 radiator) in front of stock radiator, with water lines to a separate water pump. This pump is wired in separately so the stock pump does not run the water to the plenum. I believe my pump i takes about an amp to run, wired in with a relay.

Thankyou for the great response. By far the best information i've received here.

Putting a liquid cooled plenum on ebay is not copying a RCC product. If RCC put one out tomorrow, I'd say he's coping SRP Stedman. RCC has sooo much testing and data, can you respond with some of it? Instead of more bias bullying. Sorry but I don't play this brand loyal BS, he's got so much data on a Liquid plenum, please present a dyno, or intake charge temp difference. I don't care if it's Ford/Chevy, I care about function, not the name on it. I don't care if the guy that made it has a perfect track record, if it's a good product and performs, all that matters. One of the most knowledgeable people on this site and all you did is advertise for RCC. If you want to advertise the services you offer, this was not the way to do it, in fact you did the opposite.

Take it or leave it, I don't care, just saying.... a proper information filled response would've been much better than a advertisement. Proper response could've gained you a customer in the near future.

Thanks, to those that helped, Exa

With kind regardthere may be nothing wrong & I never suggested there was with Richards stuff. Big CC also make chargecoolers & intercoolers & have back to back tested them with dataloging etc. At 30psi of bost on a Gt4094R it drops from 140 to under 50 degrees without the use of ice & under 40 with the use of an ice tank.

However on the flip side you have suggested that there may well be something wrong with the SRP one. Have you personal experience on this or summising?

I will do my best to remain unbiased in this reply. I can give no valuable information to the SRP liq/air plenum, as I have no specs or ever used one. I can however give some very useful information to consider. Our Billet ULTRA plenums (liq/air) have gone through some very rigorous R&D testing and improvements over the years. There is not a straight forward answer as to temperature drops at given boost levels as the temps will change the longer you stay in the boost. If others are using dyno data for comparison then that is easy, on a high hp turbo, making 30 psi of boost, pre-intercooler temps are over 300 degrees F (150c) after the intercooler we see 100 degrees F (38c), this is with our previous core. We now have a new core and plenum design and the temps have shown to be 40 degrees F. lower yet, and these temps are while using our circulation systems, with a water pump and a heat exchanger, temperature drops are more significant when using ice water.
Now keep in mind, I would not recommend anyone to rely on dyno #s alone, as a dyno run only lasts 5-6 seconds. In real world use you will not see steady temps, the longer you remain in boost, the higher the intake temps will climb, and you have the heat transfer process which puts heat into your cooling medium, which also raises your intake temps, in land speed use, which is the most extreme due to the rider running wide open throttle over the course of 1 mile or more our ULTRA plenums have maintained intake temps of 150F (65c) while running over 30 psi with pre-intercooler temps approaching 400f.
When we make claims with our products, such as 380hp on pump fuel, this is not because we have tested them to 380hp on pump fuel, its because we have tested them to the point of failure on pump fuel, then adjusted the rating by a specific percentage to give the customer a margin of safety. Also keep in mind that the circulation system will also affect your intake temps, water flow is important, as is how the coolant is circulated, an individual could take one of our ULTRA plenums, and install their own water pump and circulation systems, and get very poor results, all the components have to work together efficiently to get good results. I hope this maybe clears up some of the questions asked.

Richard

I will do my best to remain unbiased in this reply. I can give no valuable information to the SRP liq/air plenum, as I have no specs or ever used one. I can however give some very useful information to consider. Our Billet ULTRA plenums (liq/air) have gone through some very rigorous R&D testing and improvements over the years. There is not a straight forward answer as to temperature drops at given boost levels as the temps will change the longer you stay in the boost. If others are using dyno data for comparison then that is easy, on a high hp turbo, making 30 psi of boost, pre-intercooler temps are over 300 degrees F (150c) after the intercooler we see 100 degrees F (38c), this is with our previous core. We now have a new core and plenum design and the temps have shown to be 40 degrees F. lower yet, and these temps are while using our circulation systems, with a water pump and a heat exchanger, temperature drops are more significant when using ice water.
Now keep in mind, I would not recommend anyone to rely on dyno #s alone, as a dyno run only lasts 5-6 seconds. In real world use you will not see steady temps, the longer you remain in boost, the higher the intake temps will climb, and you have the heat transfer process which puts heat into your cooling medium, which also raises your intake temps, in land speed use, which is the most extreme due to the rider running wide open throttle over the course of 1 mile or more our ULTRA plenums have maintained intake temps of 150F (65c) while running over 30 psi with pre-intercooler temps approaching 400f.
When we make claims with our products, such as 380hp on pump fuel, this is not because we have tested them to 380hp on pump fuel, its because we have tested them to the point of failure on pump fuel, then adjusted the rating by a specific percentage to give the customer a margin of safety. Also keep in mind that the circulation system will also affect your intake temps, water flow is important, as is how the coolant is circulated, an individual could take one of our ULTRA plenums, and install their own water pump and circulation systems, and get very poor results, all the components have to work together efficiently to get good results. I hope this maybe clears up some of the questions asked.

Richard

Thanks so much for the kind and informative post. I'll keep my response short as I wasn't trying to start any kind of heated debate. I wasn't aware RCC had a liquid cooled plenum available, with this information I can scrap the idea of piecing a turbo kit with my OCD techy demands. If Richard can provide my nerdy needs, it's a no brainer to make 1 purchase instead of 20. I especially like your comment of adding a additional heat exchanger/radiator to the water loop, talk of function gets my business. Great information, thanks again. Hopefully....you may hear from me around tax return time. :banghead:

What is your budget? What type of racing are you planning to do, ie 1/8,1/4,1/2,1 mile? I didn't have the cash for the kit and the work I wanted after saving for 2 years, so I went with something in my budget. RCC also make a water methanol kit that goes under your tank or tail for a fraction of the price of the plenum. I know the guys can seem kind of ruff, but they just want to tell you what a good product RCC is. Don’t forget if you go over 250 HP get your engine built up.

photo(8).JPG

What is your budget? What type of racing are you planning to do, ie 1/8,1/4,1/2,1 mile?

No budget really, I'll save till I can afford what I need. My busa ain't going anywhere. As for racing, it will mostly be a street touring bike but I can't rule out a Texas Mile or 1/4 mile either. So.... 98% street, 2% racing.

Engine will be done at the same time :). All in planning atm, just trying to get everything sorted so when I'm ready I know exactly where to go to get what I need. For now I pretty much have everything sorted, man its a long list $$. Only things I'm still up in the air about are, turbo piston choice and whether or not to rebuild myself or ship it off. I'm leaning towards sending it off, which is why I need to wait for tax return. Simply put, I don't have the man power or proper tools to do a professional job in a timely fashion. Could I do it, yes, could I take a long time to do it, yes. Would I spend the money I saved by doing it myself, buying tools to get the job done right. Then there's always tuning it after shes built, I don't have a dyno at my house and ECUeditor isn't a 1 button fix all. So yeah, I'm leaning toward sending to a professional, it's just easier. At the same time though, I love and crave "projects", they give me a sense of zen. With a project like this, I could have that zen feeling for a couple weeks at least.

Back