Vette twin turbos in the trunk?

Robot

Donating Member
Registered
I saw a show on SPEED channel this weekend, installing twin turbos on a vette. NO they were'nt in the trunk, I dont think it has one:laugh:, but they were BEHIND the rear wheels.

This Looonnnnngggg run kinda blew my mind, I would think compressability issues. turbo lag, etc.

I'm more theory than practical application, does this setup make sense to you turbo guys/gals?:dunno:

Here's a pic and a link to the site that makes the turbos:

Squires Turbo Systems - Turbocharged Innovation!

img_2176.jpg

booth_cropped.jpg

STS is kind of the low budget way to turbo a car. They do alright, but there are all sorts of little issues with them, and they don't make the power that a front mounted, right after the header turbo would make. And any time a company makes a mud flap for the air filter, you know somethings not right :)

STS makes a quality piece, By running Smaller turbo's they have been able to pretty much eliminate lag completely. That said, this system is not going to give you a maximum horsepower vette, but a nice bump in power none the less. Some of the engineerin makes sense, and some doesn't.

i wonder what the diff in cost is? if it were a cheaper way to go then why not if it still gave you a considerable amount of hp, if the price is close then just do the real thing!!!

spool time would be fun to measure... oil return to motor? hmmm overall I would give it a D- grade.. it "might" work sort of... we measure distance to turbo from exhaust valve in inches.. not feet :rofl:

I have seen stuff like this.. Grade A fabricators with a engineering drop out leading the design... throttle response would be like a gas turbine motor... :rofl:

spool time would be fun to measure... oil return to motor? hmmm overall I would give it a D- grade.. it "might" work sort of... we measure distance to turbo from exhaust valve in inches.. not feet :rofl:

I have seen stuff like this.. Grade A fabricators with a engineering drop out leading the design... throttle response would be like a gas turbine motor... :rofl:

Spool time was one thought of mine, all that volume(of pipe) to pressurize, then depressurize? Like a locomotive, sooo much lag.

We have a gent here at work with one of their turbo kits on his 99 trans am, he loves it, not as bad of a lag as you might think, he puts down 470ish to the rear's and he only has the turbo kit and a set of long tubes, but he's pumpin 14psi into it.

Every one of those kits I've seen in person had a badly designed look to it. I thought they were supposed to be quality stuff.

Last edited:
We have a gent here at work with one of their turbo kits on his 99 trans am, he loves it, not as bad of a lag as you might think, he puts down 470ish to the rear's and he only has the turbo kit and a set of long tubes, but he's pumpin 14psi into it.
He might love it but that is because he lacks any time with a system engineered to perform, not just bolt on... by the time he gets his "14lbs" any decent system is at the 1/8 mile already.. you also have to consider where he measures the boost at.. turbo outlet? manifold? tb? 14@ the outlet may only be 10psi at the tb.. the system is grossly inefficient even to the novice eye..

the physics of the system are slow to build power but can.. 7psi is typically a 50% increase in torque.. at 14psi.. depending on the system, 75-90% increase so if he had 275-325hp stock, he might see that number at the back.. fact is that this is not a "racing" type setup and will only work marginally well on a long roll on run or for cruising the highway..

as far as a high performance setup? well at least they can say they have a turbo or twin turbo on the car..

Me? not a chance I would want anything to do with it.. way to much potential for leaks and other issues.. you get what you pay for and this is a cheap system..

I had to build this stuff to race and there just is no easy way to make it go.. Calloway is the benchmark for a twin hair dryer setup for any small block chevy... Now there is a system that will pop your head off its shoulders :) (oh and you wallet out of your pocket) :laugh:

Every one of those kits I've seen in person had a badly designed look to it. I thought they were supposed to be quality stuff.
it is a hack from the get go... :) he also sells lord humongous stuff I bet... :rofl:

The sale literature is so full of lies that I would I had to laugh when I read it...

Last edited:
it is a hack from the get go... :) he also sells lord humongous stuff I bet... :rofl:

The sale literature is so full of lies that I would I had to laugh when I read it...

Well that's just plain funny! :rofl:

This stuff is funny...

Amazing turbo sound.. well I hope so, I can almost see the wheels..
Cleaner Emissions.. questionable.. but possible..
Patented technology.. yea by AirResearch most likely.. patent on design? :rofl:
Increased fuel economy... yea sure thing, every time I up the HP, mileage goes up? :rofl:
Bolt On system.. (maybe after you CUT off all the old stuff?)
More usable power.. well finally we get a spec of truth with the trash..
Best power and torque curves in the industry... grounds for lawsuit right there. I would put one of my single AK Miller installs up against this morphodite twin
No increase in underhood temps... again, more power = no more heat? ok then...
No need for header mods... yea that I can see.. (for real) :)
No supercharger belts.... hey and no propellers either? :laugh:
Lowest intake temps... well we have the worlds longest most inefficient intercooler :)

Ok am done... :rofl: sad part is some guy buys this crap and thinks he has a genuine "racing application twin turbo super duper hotrod" meanwhile... back at the ranch...

Last edited by a moderator:
Back