Chain too tight?

Here's an undate....I stopped by the dealership on the way home and had the service tech take a look at it....he assured me it was good to go and that he keeps the chain on his personal bike like that all the time! Not sure what to make of that.....does anyone think it's time for me to find a new shop to take it to? Or, maybe I should invest in some tools and just do it myself?

Drop'em like a hot patato.

+1 on calling thier office and telling them what a dumba$$ the mech. is before he kills someone with another personal trait he does on his own bike al'-the-time.

get a copy of the service/parts micro and start doing your own. Safer and more satisfying.

(Projekt @ Sep. 16 2007,06:16) Chains don't tend to stretch very evenly. Some segments can be stretched more than others. If you have a particularly tense section try rotating the tire a bit and you might find that section is sloppy. I got tired of adjusting so I installed a (prestretched) DID 530 ZVM with x rings. I never needs adjusting, just a good cleaning and lubing periodically.
Where does it say they're pre-stretched? Just visited the DID website and didn't see anything about it...
rock.gif

(Saxoplay @ Sep. 18 2007,21:13) Here's an undate....I stopped by the dealership on the way home and had the service tech take a look at it....he assured me it was good to go and that he keeps the chain on his personal bike like that all the time!  Not sure what to make of that.....does anyone think it's time for me to find a new shop to take it to?  Or, maybe I should invest in some tools and just do it myself?
Stop going there! Find another place or start doing it yourself. If the chain is that tight without you sitting on the bike, when you get on it, it will just get tighter. As you ride it the suspension compresses making it even tighter. That combined with the torque output of this bike is like a ticking timebomb. You dont want to snap your chain. If you do you could be looking at personal injury and or needing new engine case at the worst.

This thread scares me.....
Sit on the bike and pull up on the chain and touches the swingarm...............NOT
Sit on the bike and pull up on the chain and it moves about an inch and a half or so. Better
To loose or to tight is BAD....
A 160 HP bike is not a place to experiment with chain tension........

Thanks for all your responses...I think I will look into getting tools to do it myself. For those of you who do do it yourself, what will I need to break the nut loose? In addition to that, I'm assuming I'll need to get a hold of a good torque wrench....anything else?

you need a 36mm socket for the axle nut, a 10 and a 12mm wrench for the adjusters. I don't torque my axle all the time but you should.(I probb. should not have said that) Make the adjuster blocks are even on both sides.Be sure to tighten the 10mm bolt against the adj. bolck then hold that one with a wrench and tighten the 12mm.Ride and double check . Now enjoy your free chain adjustment.
beerchug.gif

Perry,

Call me, and we'll address this right.  You can stop by or I can come to you, and I'll talk you through the precautionary stuff while I talk "you" through the adjustment.  Takes a few minutes to learn, and then you can easily do it yourself "all-the-time".  A half an hour with the Spud, and you'll be fully versed.  I'm pretty anal about the measuring stuff, and once you see what I'm looking at, the rest is just doing it the same way every time.  

We'll even load the suspension, and you can see the difference.  A couple millimeters on the chain adjustment makes a big difference in suspension travel.  Of course, we'll also address "regular chain cleaning and greasing" as well, and take a look at those sprockets.
wink.gif

You still have the stock chain on there
rock.gif

You got the number.

You'll need a 36mm socket on a 1/2" torque wrench, a 10mm, and a 12mm box wrench. A measuring tape, or a metric stainless ruler would be nice. If ya don't have the tools, no problem, just bring it over and let's get you "edge-a-muh-cated !!!!"
cool.gif

We'll even talk a little chain/sprocket theory so you get the big picture. It's not rocket science, but very important that you get it right.

Then you can tell the mechanics here in Vegas to KISS YER @SS !!!!!
tounge.gif

Rock ON !!!!
super.gif

(Mike.P175 @ Sep. 18 2007,19:23) I would invest in tools and do it myself...
Me too,ain't no guy making $10 an hour gonna give your bike the tlc you will!!! Invest in a manual and do it yourself.

(Spudley @ Sep. 21 2007,05:02) Perry,

Call me, and we'll address this right.  You can stop by or I can come to you, and I'll talk you through the precautionary stuff while I talk "you" through the adjustment.  Takes a few minutes to learn, and then you can easily do it yourself "all-the-time".  A half an hour with the Spud, and you'll be fully versed.  I'm pretty anal about the measuring stuff, and once you see what I'm looking at, the rest is just doing it the same way every time.  

We'll even load the suspension, and you can see the difference.  A couple millimeters on the chain adjustment makes a big difference in suspension travel.  Of course, we'll also address "regular chain cleaning and greasing" as well, and take a look at those sprockets.
wink.gif

You still have the stock chain on there
rock.gif

You got the number.

You'll need a 36mm socket on a 1/2" torque wrench, a 10mm, and a 12mm box wrench.  A measuring tape, or a metric stainless ruler would be nice.  If ya don't have the tools, no problem, just bring it over and let's get you "edge-a-muh-cated !!!!"
cool.gif

We'll even talk a little chain/sprocket theory so you get the big picture.  It's not rocket science, but very important that you get it right.  

Then you can tell the mechanics here in Vegas to KISS YER @SS !!!!!
tounge.gif

Rock ON !!!!
super.gif
Another reminder of just how much this site and it's members rock
super.gif

beerchug.gif

super.gif

(Projekt @ Sep. 16 2007,04:16) Chains don't tend to stretch very evenly. Some segments can be stretched more than others. If you have a particularly tense section try rotating the tire a bit and you might find that section is sloppy. I got tired of adjusting so I installed a (prestretched) DID 530 ZVM with x rings. I never needs adjusting, just a good cleaning and lubing periodically.
Who makes the ZZZ chains. Is it DID? Everyone likes the ZZZ chains, but I've read that X rings are better.

(BusaWhipped @ Sep. 15 2007,20:52) Too tight can cause it to break. For a quick check, you can pull up on the bottom and it should just touch the swingarm.
I'm guessing you mean in the middle of the visible part of the bottom of the chain. I just went out and checked and mine would seem to be dead on.

Thanks for the tip!

(FAVahalik @ Sep. 21 2007,13:09)
(Projekt @ Sep. 16 2007,04:16) Chains don't tend to stretch very evenly. Some segments can be stretched more than others. If you have a particularly tense section try rotating the tire a bit and you might find that section is sloppy. I got tired of adjusting so I installed a (prestretched) DID 530 ZVM with x rings. I never needs adjusting, just a good cleaning and lubing periodically.
Who makes the ZZZ chains.  Is it DID? Everyone likes the ZZZ chains, but I've read that X rings are better.
EK makes the ZZZ. I have one, I'm never changing. I LOVE IT !!!!. The ZZZ does come with an X-ring.

buzae006.jpg

Lets see, speedo sensor , nut, sprocket and......whats left of a output shaft.

Adjusting your own chain is basic , find someone to help you get familier with it.

Chain maintenance is easy. Be sure to use a new cotter pin on the castle nut and torque it to the correct specs. Clean and lube your chain regularly.

Back