Chain too tight?

Saxoplay

Donating Member
Registered
I noticed that the last time my bike was serviced, they adjusted my chain really tight. I mean there's no play in it whatsoever. Is this something I should be concearned about? Can the chain be too tight to the point it stretches prematurely or could actually be dangerous?

Yes, it's too tight, I think it will put stress on the output shaft (or whatever you want to call it)... I know when I had my suspension set up, they even said having the 1" up and down slop was too tight. But what do they know. I run my with plenty-o-slop.

How do you think your suspension is going to handle with such a tight chain.

Too tight can cause it to break. For a quick check, you can pull up on the bottom and it should just touch the swingarm.

if its too tight u can stretch it prematurely and it puts a high load on the output shaft bearing ....to loose and it slaps around and if u are at a stop and pop the clutch it could pop it depending on the age of the chain and rpm of release
beerchug.gif

(BusaWhipped @ Sep. 15 2007,22:52) Too tight can cause it to break.  For a quick check, you can pull up on the bottom and it should just touch the swingarm.
iamwithstupid.gif

You can't be that casual about your bike when you're having someone else do the servicing. Always check these things before leaving the shop, always.

If the place your getting it serviced is making it that tight... i'd stop taking it there. Call their managment and tell them your problem. That is unexceptable! Not only can it cause you harm, it can and will damage the bike.

I don't know how to link topics, so I bumped the one from "REXTREME7" I never thought your chain breaking would be that bad. I mean I knew it would suck REAL BAD !! But didn't think it would EF your bike up that bad, DAAAAAMMMMM !!! After seeing that thread, I now do my chain like every 500 miles.

Chains don't tend to stretch very evenly. Some segments can be stretched more than others. If you have a particularly tense section try rotating the tire a bit and you might find that section is sloppy. I got tired of adjusting so I installed a (prestretched) DID 530 ZVM with x rings. I never needs adjusting, just a good cleaning and lubing periodically.

Good advice, listen to these guys, they know what they are talking about. Best to learn to do maint. yourself. That way you know it's done right! After all, it's your butt on the line.

(Powers739 @ Sep. 15 2007,23:45) Yes, it's too tight, I think it will put stress on the output shaft (or whatever you want to call it)... I know when I had my suspension set up, they even said having the 1" up and down slop was too tight.  But what do they know.  I run my with plenty-o-slop.  

How do you think your suspension is going to handle with such a tight chain.
+1!

I used to run mine with about 1" as well. I was told by many that it was not enough to allow my suspension to work properly.

Originally, I followed the owner's manual chain tolerance settings, which is way too tight. The dealer set me straight. At least a good 1" in slack both up and down.

Dealer sent mine home tight and never took her back.

Can anyone verify if the chain has a tendency to tighten after the axle nut is torqued to spec? I heard to adjust her a little on the loose side as she will tighten up when the axle nut is secured
rock.gif

Leaning towards doubting it.

(SnapAttack @ Sep. 17 2007,12:51) Dealer sent mine home tight and never took her back.

Can anyone verify if the chain has a tendency to tighten after the axle nut is torqued to spec?  I heard to adjust her a little on the loose side as she will tighten up when the axle nut is secured
rock.gif

Leaning towards doubting it.
Dont doubt it. I just did a chain/sprockets install yesterday and it took me THREE times to get it right. I would adjust it to the aforementioned 1" slop +/- a little and invariably when I tightened the axle nut it tightened back up a bit. Enough that I had to redo it. Twice. It happens

(smonroe86 @ Sep. 17 2007,02:57) its ok THE BIG RED ONE has had a little to much
all_coholic.gif

all_coholic.gif

all_coholic.gif

all_coholic.gif

all_coholic.gif

all_coholic.gif
It lorks like (hiccup) i've been (burp) busted. I'm still good to go tho ociffer...............Damn i spiledd my beer on the keyberd again  
mad.gif

Damn I love beer  
tounge.gif

time to ride.........................
laugh.gif

On a side note to keep the chain from moving as you tighten the axle, be sure you start with your wrench facing straight back (9:00 position) then only tighten it till its straight up (12:00 position) or less...then repeat and your chain won't move. The prob is if you tighten in such a way as to move your axle back off the adjusters as your tightening, you WILL change the chain tension. Hope this helps  
wink.gif

all_coholic.gif

all_coholic.gif

all_coholic.gif

all_coholic.gif

all_coholic.gif

Back