Anyone have issues with vortex sprockets?

Dopey

Donating Member
Registered
So since me and my buddy started up our little after hours repair shop we've done several chain and sprockets jobs. So at my suggestion a couple purchased the vortex "go fast" kit which is basically a kit with a -1 front sprocket which is nice on the 600's and 750's I've put them on. Well I noticed that once on they have that "tight spot" issue when trying to adjust the chain and I'll have it set perfect at one spot and then roll the wheel and it'll be too loose or tight. Now I know a lot of people have said it's normal until the chain wears in but I've had 2 come back for adjustments after putting over 1k miles on them and they still have the same issue. I double checked that the master link was not over pressed and tight and made sure I couldn't find any tight spots in the chains at all. Now I ride with these guys so I know they haven't excessively beat on the chains so it's got me scratching my head a little. Then last night while doing some work on my busa (gps sensor FINALLY, oil change, new road attack 2's) I went to adjust my chain and I already knew it was over due to be replaced but I realized that I've had the same issue with my bike ever since I installed the vortex sprockets and the zvx3 chain but now it's really bad because everything is so worn. I've just always dealt with it because it wasn't horribly off but enough that I noticed so it's got me asking myself if maybe the vortex sprockets aren't made perfectly round and why I keep having the issue and wondering if anyone else has experienced this with vortex or any other sprockets.

Also while on the subject what's anyone's preference for sprockets? I've wanted a supersprox kit for awhile but I think it was on here that I read they had sold the company which has me wondering if the quality is still as good as the reviews I read in the past. I'm pretty sure I'm gonna go with another zvx3 chain because I like the look of the metallic red and it definitely seemed to do its job well but I'm open to suggestions on that as well.

I've always liked Vortex aluminum rear sprockets. I used a Vortex front sprocket not so long ago and I had no issues with it.

An aluminum rear sprocket with a steel front works well for me. I get two rears out of one front and then it's time to change the chain and everything.

Once you go to a SuperSprox, you'll never use another brand of sprocket.

DSC02122.jpg

Once you go to a SuperSprox, you'll never use another brand of sprocket.

View attachment 1650076
I've definitely wanted to try one for awhile, one thing I don't get is why all the ones I see on ebay and other places that say fit the busa are listed as 520. I know they have 530 just don't get why the 520 is even offered for the busa since the last I checked (not that I really looked) there wasn't a 520 chain with the tensile strength suggested for a Hayabusa.

Run ! Vortex = junk that wears out in about same time as a good sport touring tire . I've spoken to their ceo once and mentioned the poor customer service / life of sprockets . He babbled a bit until I mentioned the coemption was tripling their sprockets in millage . Renthal is way to go .

i swapped a vortex kit on my 2nd get with stock tooth count. the front sprocket was lighter than stock but the rear one was heavier than the stock rear one.

Back