Sprocket and chain recomendations

Zoinks!

Registered
I'm in need of a new chain and sprockes. I'm trying to decide between factory suzuki and vortex sprockets. The front vortex is $20 as opposed to the factory $40. The factory rear is $46, and the vortex rear is $68. I have a couple questions about these.

1) how do the vortex sprockets wear compared to the factory ones? Faster, slower, about the same. (assuming the chain is kept properly adjusted).

2) Does anyone know why the vortex would be half the price of the factory sprocket? I mean, I know that factory equipment is usually kind of high, but that's the price from MR Cycles, who always has good prices on parts. Is the factory one better, or is that just how much it costs?

Now as for the chain. . . I want an x-ring chain, but first of all, how many links is the stock one? I'm going with factory gearing, so if I remember correctly I need 17/40 gearing and a 530 pitch chain, but how many links?

I'm looking at maybe an RK chain. Does anyone have any experience with them? Good, bad, average? I'm also looking at the DID VM series. Also, who makes the different colored chains? I also seem to remember hearing that the color chains weren't as strong, for some reason. Am I rememebering correctly or not? Thanks for the help and suggestions.

I'm in need of a new chain and sprockes. I'm trying to decide between factory suzuki and vortex sprockets. The front vortex is $20 as opposed to the factory $40. The factory rear is $46, and the vortex rear is $68. I have a couple questions about these.

1) how do the vortex sprockets wear compared to the factory ones? Faster, slower, about the same. (assuming the chain is kept properly adjusted).

2) Does anyone know why the vortex would be half the price of the factory sprocket? I mean, I know that factory equipment is usually kind of high, but that's the price from MR Cycles, who always has good prices on parts. Is the factory one better, or is that just how much it costs?

Now as for the chain. . . I want an x-ring chain, but first of all, how many links is the stock one? I'm going with factory gearing, so if I remember correctly I need 17/40 gearing and a 530 pitch chain, but how many links?

I'm looking at maybe an RK chain. Does anyone have any experience with them? Good, bad, average? I'm also looking at the DID VM series. Also, who makes the different colored chains? I also seem to remember hearing that the color chains weren't as strong, for some reason. Am I rememebering correctly or not? Thanks for the help and suggestions.
I got the DID chain and sprocket set from the "sprocketcenter.com"
I stuck with the stock sprocket sizes which are 17 front and 40 rear comes with the X-ring chain. So far totally satisfied.

I'm using Vortex Sprockets, Cat5 rear 17/45 on my 08, with EK ZZZ Gold chain. No problems, I know people who also race with Vortex sprockets and they haven't had any porblems either.

I've had the best luck with d.i.d. x-ring chains and run sun sprockets...no issues. the shortest lived chain was a regina gold series.

If you can afford it, go with the EK ZZZ chain! I smoked 2 regina chains in less thank 6k miles last year and I'm good about keeping it adjusted. I also peeled a few teeth off a Vortex aluminum sprocket racing it last year and spraying it this year. I just last sunday broke my last Regina gold series, along with my sprocket cover, chain guard and finished off that Vortex sprocket. I have a ZZZ as well as a SuperSprox set sitting on my bench waiting for my new clutch cover and will write a review on it all when it's back together.

Call Daniel at Cloud Nine Motorsports....our Sponsor and an absolute expert on drive systems and he'll save you $!

I went with EK ZZZ and the Stealth TriMetal sprocket... The aluminum rear sprockets just did not hold up very well for me.. They will not last as long as a steel sprocket (Vortex will tell you 5-7K on their sprocket and that is about right)

Bogus, how do you like the Stealth TriMetal? I'm putting mine on tonight, but will be waiting for my CanadianMike sprocket cover before I can get the bike rolling again. Does it seem to wear well? the center section holding up?

I went with EK ZZZ and the Stealth TriMetal sprocket... The aluminum rear sprockets just did not hold up very well for me.. They will not last as long as a steel sprocket (Vortex will tell you 5-7K on their sprocket and that is about right)

Do you know anything about the steel vortex ones?

Rear

Front

Call Daniel at Cloud Nine Motorsports....our Sponsor and an absolute expert on drive systems and he'll save you $!

Does he have an ext. # I need to call or just call the general phone number and ask for Daniel? I'm trying to save as much as possible, but I don't wanna go super cheap and be buying again in a few months. I've gotten almost 18,000 out of my stock chain and sprockets, so I'd like to get that, or better on whatever my next setup is. I'm not so concerned about lowering unsprung weight, so I'm not against going with steel sprockets, or a chain that's a little heavier but will last longer. I'm just a jobless student right now and would like to perform some quality maintainance at the lowest price possible.

On another note, do we have another contact at MR Cycles who will do the board discount? If so, who is it and what's his or her extention?

Does he have an ext. # I need to call or just call the general phone number and ask for Daniel?
Call the number and leave a message if he doesn't answer. Could also shoot him a PM. You can't go wrong with Daniel. He is very good people!

Back