chain sprocket housing - valve adjustment?

AQUADIOSMED

Registered
Would appreciate some help. I have a 1999 Busa, 28, 800 original miles, bought new in 1999, never race it but get on it a little to keep it clean and the other day I lost the clutch. Turns out the "chain sprocket housing", where the slave cylinder for the clutch attaches had cracked and the clutch would not engage. Everything was OK until I tried to come to a stop, with no clutch! Anyone had this problem?
2nd - what's the longest you've gone without a valve clearance check, factory recommends every 15,000 miles.

Havn't had the clutch problem thankfully!:please:
Thread on here somewhere about the valve adjustment issue, hit the "search". But at almost 29,000 miles, I'd be having a look if I was you.

I looked around quite a bit for the clutch slave mount.
This one was the best IMO.
It is very strong, and built to also protect the waterpump etc. if a chain breaks.
Also an awesome price.

Airplane Products

To all of you who took the time to respsond, thank you very much, great ideas and fixes, especially the photo index of the valve adjustment.

I looked around quite a bit for the clutch slave mount.
This one was the best IMO.
It is very strong, and built to also protect the waterpump etc. if a chain breaks.
Also an awesome price.

Airplane Products

there is no guarantee it will save your water pump...in fact if the cover isn't made just right, there is a good chance it could cost you a set of cases.

Bracket, Clutch Slave Cylinder Support, Suzuki Hayabusa - Exoticycle * Schnitz Motorsports Inc

Or this one if you dont want to spend as much money.

If you do get the full piece, do yourself a favor and get some heavy duty springs. It'll extend the life of your clutch.

And if you have some extra cash laying around grab some steels and fibers and replace them too. It'll be like a new bike.

you don't need HD springs...I honestly recommend againist them unless you are racing or you clutch is slipping from power. I ran a turbo on a busa and never ran an upgraded cover or springs.

The covers are nice to have if you can afford them though.

there is no guarantee it will save your water pump...in fact if the cover isn't made just right, there is a good chance it could cost you a set of cases.

That is true.
In looking at the design of this one when I put it on it seemed to me to have the best chance of doing so. IMHO

a solid cover will cost you cases most likely in a chain snap situation.

Could be, but it probably would be better than the stock mount.
The way it is braced looks to me like it will spread the force across the entire mount in the event of a chain break.
It is mounted by the same bolts, and would probably not break cases any more than the stock one.

As with a lot of stuff about these bikes there is a lot of opinions, and the individual results will vary, but this mount was designed with this purpose in mind:
" Main design purpose: To save engine cases due to drive chain failure."
I don't believe another's claims without reasoning it for myself and I am still convinced this was the best solution.

Could be, but it probably would be better than the stock mount.
The way it is braced looks to me like it will spread the force across the entire mount in the event of a chain break.
It is mounted by the same bolts, and would probably not break cases any more than the stock one.

As with a lot of stuff about these bikes there is a lot of opinions, and the individual results will vary, but this mount was designed with this purpose in mind:
" Main design purpose: To save engine cases due to drive chain failure."
I don't believe another's claims without reasoning it for myself and I am still convinced this was the best solution.

just had this exact discussion:

here's what my experimenting and my observations from input and experience of others on the boards has shown me

Solid units are made of t6 which is more dense thus stronger than your cases. So when a chain strikes the cover, it does not absorb the hit, it redirects it to your cases. At very least what normally happens with those covers is that your mounting tabs get snapped off and in many cases completely ripped from your cases. The longer bolts (normally a3 stainless steel) are approx 50 times more dense/stronger than t6. So when you make a design out of a stronger material and you do not design it to flex and or redirect impact force, it does it on its own...first to the much stronger bolts...and then to your cases.

That makes sense.
So the optimum would be for the bolts holding the solid slave mount to break off with a force less than that required to break the case?
What if I cut in a bit of the mounting bolts with a dremel, right where they go into the case, so they would break off if they received a large hit like from the chain.
They do this to the bottom of stop sign poles so they break off cleanly when hit.
There would be a part of the bolt left in the case but getting that out would be preferrable to a broken case.
Thoughts?

That makes sense.
So the optimum would be for the bolts holding the solid slave mount to break off with a force less than that required to break the case?
What if I cut in a bit of the mounting bolts with a dremel, right where they go into the case, so they would break off if they received a large hit like from the chain.
They do this to the bottom of stop sign poles so they break off cleanly when hit.
There would be a part of the bolt left in the case but getting that out would be preferrable to a broken case.
Thoughts?

covers that were offered on most boards were 3 piece...

the flex in the design helped absorb the hit of a chain.

I supplied shorter than normal bolts with the covers I offered with the concept they would pull your threads rather than bust your cases up. I have had 4 confined reports that they worked as intended. The guys retapped and used larger diameter bolts and the cover was not damaged beyond cosmetic scratches.

covers that were offered on most boards were 3 piece...

the flex in the design helped absorb the hit of a chain.

I supplied shorter than normal bolts with the covers I offered with the concept they would pull your threads rather than bust your cases up. I have had 4 confined reports that they worked as intended. The guys retapped and used larger diameter bolts and the cover was not damaged beyond cosmetic scratches.

The mount that I linked to is also 3 pieces.
I will get shorter bolts for it.

Thanks!

DSC00811.jpg

Picture231.jpg

looks familiar... :poke::rofl:

Back