Chain Snapped.....gutted

0ctane

Registered
My chain snapped on me yesterday as I was on my roadtrip, luckily I was only 60miles from home and I suppose Im grateful that Im typing here as well. Could have went horribly wrong and although I escaped unscathed and kept the bike upright Im wondering what your views are on costs to sort my baby.

Its a gen1 99'

Here she is

24052010018Custom.jpg

Damage

Chain.....its a DID 50 Zvm chain

06082010080Custom.jpg

Clutch Push Rod Pin --- Looks snapped but its a clean break, length is 44mm so as Ive never seen one could you confirm this plz

07082010089Custom.jpg

WaterPump Assembly -- Fixing point broke away and damage to casing

07082010093Custom.jpg

Not sure what this parts called... gear selector cover ?? Can this be replaced easily by taking out those 4 possibly 5 hex bolts.

Its Cracked above middle fixing point on casing and also deep gouge on middle fixing point too.

07082010091Custom.jpg

And also the engine sprocket cover and clutch slave cylinder

07082010094Custom.jpg

Chain and sprockets are plentiful of choice its just the other parts Im worried about.

cheers

Last edited:
I wouldnt think it will cost all that much to get her fixed. Someone who has had to replace these parts will chime in soon enough.

Could have been alot worse.

Get a new push pin alot better off. wear and if its broken replace. In pic 4 check the water pump for damage.
It a good time to use WD40 to clean up the part that you have off before installing back on

Last edited:
You are buying the whole kit right :poke: I got my sprokets an chain from Cloud Nine a site sponsor he got it to me very quickly and for a great price I shopped around quite a bit.

That chain doesn't look like it's been getting the proper TLC :poke: Looks like it should have been giving audible warning signs before the snap.

Last edited:
chain was always lubed via Scottoiler system and there was never any tight links etc during inspections. I run bike in all weathers and the plating on the chain will not cope with the amount of running around I give it hence it looks worse for wear but I do see where your coming from.

does the waterpump housing come separate to buy or do I need to purchase the whole shooting match ?

Last edited:
have to see the other side of the water pump to see if it needs replacing and the clutch push pin needs to be replacing.

I have a sprocket cover as well as push rod.

I may have a water pump too, ill look!

Replace
clutch push pin
water pump casing
chain and front and rear sprockets
and a good cleaning with some kind of degreaser or WD40
see what else every body says.

Dont get a DID chain. Get an EK ZZZ or a smart chain. Go with a more expensive quality chain and with proper maintenance should never have this problem or at least you can spot the wear on the chain many many many miles before this would happen :rulez:

i'll be cleaning all round that area while everythings off before reassembly of new parts,

DID chain was already on bike when I got it and had done approx 9700 miles going by history and current mileage.

Lost coolant in process so everythings just a big greasy oily mess and there must have been a lot of crud build up on front sprocket area which the chain dislodged as It came off.

That chain doesn't look like it's been getting the proper TLC :poke: Looks like it should have been giving audible warning signs before the snap.

what kind of sounds are we talking about here???

and to the Chain gods: isn't there a pin to pin measurement for our chains? you know when they have reached their maximun extended length....

my GS500 has it in the MOM... just asking

yeah there is mate, tension back wheel right up then measure 20pitches of chain and measure.....if it exceeds 319.4mm then renewal time. That statements for standard suzuki chain so I reckon other chains will have different tollerances, just remember to slacken back off to reccommended slack once the stretch check has been made.

Last edited:
check the seal realy well and the rest of the housing, broke two on my 03 busa the second time I had to tear her down and replace other parts. might be from wheeling to much. put a metal chain guard and case protector on there will help if you ever brake one the next time and save your leg. this one bent the chain guard and hit the under tail. the chain is stuck between the swing arm. this chain had 3000 miles on it and was an xring chain.

Picture 213.jpg

Picture 215.jpg

Last edited:
when you order the shift mechanism cover...get the bearings as well.

get an orient express clutch/slave cover...it will also come with the clutch push rod and bolts.

I'm assuming you cleaned, lubbed and adjusted the chain before you departed on your trip?

Be happy you weren't a thousand miles from home!

Back