HELP! Chain Broke

Cecil_Stringer

Donating Member
Registered
Yesterday my chain snapped while coming on boost in 2nd.

Before I shifted to 3rd, for a split second the RPM's spiked up to the limiter (probably the instant then chain snapped).

Then I coasted to a stop.

The bike will not shift into nuetral (nor will it start).

I can up shift to what appears to be 6th, then back down to 4th.
Beyond that... nothing.

What are your thoughts?

Does it sound like there may be additional damage... possibly to the tranny?

I have a reinforced billet cover over the front sprocket just in case this type if thing happens.

Thanks,
Cecil

Definitely sounds like the tranny is toast. Maybe that's what broke the chain?

Another chain? Damn man, you need to work on that.

Is the shifter only going up or down 1 gear and nothing else or is it even coming back to center after a shift? I had that problem and it was the return spring, pain in the ass but all of $2.75 to fix.

I would b worried that the output shaft is damaged.  The same output shaft that many say does not need to be changed.  Let's hope that it is not.

Did the bike siese up when the chain lt go?

Did you get all the chain out??

I would open the bike or have som one look at the ouput and the front sprocket.

The fact that the bike goes in some gears makes me think it s the shifter or the shift forks that may have a problem, so check those also.

<!--EDIT|Ninja Eater
Reason for Edit: None given...|1105981663 -->

I would b worried that the output shaft is damaged.  The same output shaft that many say does not need to be changed.  Let's hope that it is not.

The fact that the bike goes in some gears makes me think it s the shifter or the shift forks that may have a problem, so check those also.
The bike stalled and would not restart.
Not sure if the bike siezed or not.
I can not get it into nuetral to try to start it.
No signs of oil.
The chain was lying on the ground near where it broke.

I will be taking it to Johnny Dorbin at www.ExotiCycle.com for repair.

This bike is proven to b a royal pain...  
devil.gif

No signs of oil.

devil.gif
Now now!! Remembe that long list of things I siad either you do know or you will have to later?? You have to emember that you are pushing 150-170lbs of torque. The weakest ling is what will go.

Chain EK zvx 530
Front Sprocket Chrome Molly
Back Sproket Stel or Titanium
Bilet output shaft
Clutch mod bracket
Billet bclutch basket.

Evryone building these bikes tells you you do ot need the stuff until it breaks.

I still think it is the shifter or shift forks or the front sproket. You can see the front sprokect from the rear with a flash light. Hope it something minor.

No signs of oil.

devil.gif
Now now!!  Remembe that long list of things I siad either you do know or you will have to later??  You have to emember that you are pushing 150-170lbs of torque.  The weakest ling is what will go.

Chain EK zvx 530
Front Sprocket Chrome Molly
Back Sproket Stel or Titanium
Bilet output shaft
Clutch mod bracket
Billet bclutch basket.

Evryone building these bikes tells you you do ot need the stuff until it breaks.

I still think it is the shifter or shift forks or the front sproket.  You can see the front sprokect from the rear with a flash light.  Hope it something minor.
Thanks man... I value your input.

If you ever make it out this way, lunch and C16 is on me.

Hey Cecil, I have broken a chain also and mine would not shift either. You need to get into and under the front sprocket cover to assess the damage and only then will you know the beginnings of the damage. I only had to replace the shift shaft and cover plate on mine but there could also be more just make sure you put it back together with the best of parts from now on or you will have more problems.

I am sure you have heard it before once you start making this kinda of HP, along with it comes extra maintenance and more parts to hold the power. I live by a motto.

"NEVER ENDING SPENDING"

Just get used to it or go back to stock!!!!!!!!

The bike should start in gear if: you have the clutch pulled in and the kick stand is up. You may have a hard time changeing gears if the teeth are not lined up. A few times I have been shifting gears with the engine off and have not been able to down shift. I had to either roll the bike in gear or start it and let the clutch out to line things back up.
I have never snapped a chian so I'm not sure what kind of damage could result but I would start by taking the side cover off and check that out.

Good luck Cecil, I hope the repair is not extensive. This sounds link more nightmares and reasons not to use a turbo. No offense to you guys with boost but all I ever read about is blown this and that, and it is down again.
wink.gif

Like jwcfbd said....

Make sure the clutch is in and kickstand up.

See if you can get it started and then downshift it while easing the clutch in and out to work it through the gears. That may just be your problem since you can't rock it back and forth with the chain tension on the trainy.

I am hoping that is the problem otherwise like Ninja Eater said you need to check the shift forks and springs. If the spring is broke, it isn't releasing properly for the next gear downshift.

I hope your back on the road soon without spending to much more money!
wow.gif

Josh
cool.gif

Good luck Cecil, I hope the repair is not extensive. This sounds link more nightmares and reasons not to use a turbo. No offense to you guys with boost but all I ever read about is blown this and that, and it is down again.
wink.gif
Mine has'nt been down a single day in over a year. Cecil has other bike issues, worn cush drive will put a big strain on the chain between shifts. Once he gets a real chain on it, he will be ok.

The bike should start in gear if: you have the clutch pulled in and the kick stand is up.  You may have a hard time changeing gears if the teeth are not lined up.  A few times I have been shifting gears with the engine off and have not been able to down shift.  I had to either roll the bike in gear or start it and let the clutch out to line things back up.
 I have never snapped a chian so I'm not sure what kind of damage could result but I would start by taking the side cover off and check that out.
Yes but DO NOT TRY TO START THE BIKE.. You may do more damage with out knowing what it is. You need to at least open up and inspect the damage or no damge.

The bike should start in gear if: you have the clutch pulled in and the kick stand is up.  You may have a hard time changeing gears if the teeth are not lined up.  A few times I have been shifting gears with the engine off and have not been able to down shift.  I had to either roll the bike in gear or start it and let the clutch out to line things back up.
Yes but DO NOT TRY TO START THE BIKE.. You may do more damage with out knowing what it is.  You need to at least open up and inspect the damage or no damge.
I guess my last sentance should have been my first.
blush.gif

I'm happy to hear that the damage looks to be minimal.

I am happy that it sounds minimal also,  but PLEASE check out the bike very close.

<!--EDIT|Ninja Eater
Reason for Edit: None given...|1106022102 -->

You should have any damage with the support cover...Hope that's the case and that the cover is not a false sense of security...This lastest chain, was it riveted???If you had busted the casing it would have started leaking oil immediately the fact that you haven't seen any is good...Hope it's just the chain...
evil.gif

Johnny is pretty Darn good on turbo bikes. He'll get it figured out PDQ. Whatever you do...Keep Victor off it!
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
tounge.gif

biggrin.gif

I just keep riding my old bone stock busa Day after Day after Day after Day after Day after Day after Day after day! Put gas in it and change the oil and new tires every 4,500 miles and she just keeps on going and going and going:D

Back