Chain rollers bad?

WuzzaCBXRider

Donating Member
Registered
Whatever they’re called, for this discussion the rollers are the center piece between the side plates. Can you see the shiny part at its edge? They appear on almost all of the rollers and disappears when they come onto the sprocket as they move around. At the end of my last tour and ever since when the chain warms up I hear a chunking kind of sound as though the chain is wonky. If I pull the clutch in the sound goes away but the sprockets are still turning? Taking off from a stand still the chunking sound is very prevalent and I’m guessing it continues as I ride but with wind noise around my helmet I can’t hear it. Accel or decel is the same as long as the clutch is engaged. On my tour the chain picked up a piece of wire that got ground up and I thought a piece of it may have got caught on the front sprocket but it was clean. New chain or do all chains do this? I also found a piece of rubber just sitting free in this slot. It has a groove in it as if it’s supposed to go somewhere other than this slot it fell? into. Any ideas?

IMG_5955.jpeg

IMG_5957.jpeg

IMG_5958.jpeg

IMG_5959.jpeg

IMG_5960.jpeg

IMG_5961.jpeg

IMG_5962.jpeg

Whatever they’re called, for this discussion the rollers are the center piece between the side plates. Can you see the shiny part at its edge? They appear on almost all of the rollers and disappears when they come onto the sprocket as they move around. At the end of my last tour and ever since when the chain warms up I hear a chunking kind of sound as though the chain is wonky. If I pull the clutch in the sound goes away but the sprockets are still turning? Taking off from a stand still the chunking sound is very prevalent and I’m guessing it continues as I ride but with wind noise around my helmet I can’t hear it. Accel or decel is the same as long as the clutch is engaged. On my tour the chain picked up a piece of wire that got ground up and I thought a piece of it may have got caught on the front sprocket but it was clean. New chain or do all chains do this? I also found a piece of rubber just sitting free in this slot. It has a groove in it as if it’s supposed to go somewhere other than this slot it fell? into. Any ideas?

View attachment 1669432

View attachment 1669433

View attachment 1669434

View attachment 1669435

View attachment 1669436

View attachment 1669437

View attachment 1669438
Rubber goes on the bottom lip of your gas tank I beleive. Have you checked the chain for any binding links?

Rubber goes on the bottom lip of your gas tank I beleive. Have you checked the chain for any binding links?

I did lift the tank recently to replace the air filter but didn’t notice anything amiss. I’ll check. Nice that it found a place to sit for me while I found it. :D All the chain links flex easy enough, maybe too easy?, no stuck or sticky ones. I’m thinking maybe those ‘rollers’ aren’t supposed to move around like that within their (slots) just when they come onto the sprocket teeth? But I’ve never looked at them this way. Almost all of them move like the pics show, the shiny area that appears when they come onto the sprocket, but not each link. Could nearly every roller be busted?:crazy::laugh::confused: Could the combination of nearly every link flexing like this under a load be causing the chunking sound I’m hearing? And why the sound goes away when I pull the clutch lever in so there‘s no load on the chain but it’s still spinning?

Oh, the sprockets are 17 and 40 right? Chain is 112 links? Jus askin…

Last edited:
The second picture almost looks like you have a seized link just based on the angle of the link coming off the sprocket...

If there are any seized links they would make that "chunking" sound...

If it were me, I'd put the bike on the stands, take off the rear tire, have a container of kerosene and slowly roll the chain through it with a light brush, this would tell you right away if there were any seized links....I'd then use a rag and clean off the chain...

I did this with one of my old bikes and found a seized link that I was able to unseize by wiggling it back and forth a few times...

I raised the tank and found no bumpers. I can’t recall seeing any and I can’t see where they would go. My seat rubbers are in place too. Still a mystery where it came from. And as I mentioned the links are very flexible, each one moves when I try them. The bike is on a stand and the fairing is off. Had to to get at the sprocket cover. Think I’ll order a new chain and sprocket kit but I’m waiting on any other ideas.

It’s adjusted correctly but I noticed that even with a steady idle around 2,000 revs the top and bottom of the chain bounces as it travels around the sprockets.

View attachment 1669432

View attachment 1669433

View attachment 1669434

View attachment 1669435

View attachment 1669436

View attachment 1669437

View attachment 1669438

buy and mount an automatc chain oiler
like - my hint - the "scott oiler" from rock oil
your / this chain wasn´t lubed enough i guess what ages the chain 3 times more than ususal
dry chain = dead chain after less than 5000 mi - for 100% sure .

with an auto oiler = well lubed up to 60 000 - 80 000 mi w. 1 chain set .

I raised the tank and found no bumpers. I can’t recall seeing any and I can’t see where they would go. My seat rubbers are in place too. Still a mystery where it came from. And as I mentioned the links are very flexible, each one moves when I try them. The bike is on a stand and the fairing is off. Had to to get at the sprocket cover. Think I’ll order a new chain and sprocket kit but I’m waiting on any other ideas.
20230809_161521.jpg

One per side. I use silicone sealer to hold them on.

Also if the noise disappeares with the clutch pulled in suggest it's not the chain
If it is still turning shorely the noise will still be present if it was a bad link,
Check the mounts it's free and takes minutes

IMG20230813201157.jpg

A ,B front =55 nm
C,D rear = 75 nm
On mine bolt D was slightly loose which caused a knock on pullaway
Also I now remember you also got a knock at slow speed when you touched the rear brake

Back