Chain rubbing tire 10"/240 even with chain roller

BigBadDodge

Registered
Hey guys new here worked a trade last night for a 06 hayabusa for my pro street car, absolutely in love with the bike only issue is the chain rubs the tire. Old owner put a chain roller on the swingarm on a real flimsy stainless bracket, so i made up a better bracket but its still rubbing and putting quite a bit of pressure against the chain, The lower run of the chain is against the tire is there an easy way to shim out the rear sprocket? It looks like it dives in at the rear tire, the tire is a 240/40/18 shinko advance inflated to 42 psi, adjustment blocks are dead even side to side
Not sure what make the sprocket is
hayabusa024.jpg

You can see where it dives inward right infront of the tire at the chain roller
hayabusa023.jpg

In ^^^that pic you can see the upper section of the chain is close but will clear, in this one you can see the chain is rubbing the tire down low
hayabusa025.jpg

And heres my beauty
hayabusa021.jpg

Look at the back of the bike, If your running a 240 the wheel should be offset to the right, If its not then more than likely the spacers are not right, I dont know of a 240 kit that the rear tire doesnt offset to the right so check that out first.

Im going to tell you what I think but you might want to wait until a second opinion posts up.

The Spacer on the left should be bigger than that on the right.

Pulling the rear wheel is no biggie,

Also check one more thing. look down your chain towards the front sprocket and see if the chain in hitting the frame, I have a Track Dynamics kit and like alot of the kits you have to notch the frame so the chain doesnt hit.

Your offset should look something like this.

===================================================================

000_3376.jpg

Heres the notch

Last edited:
Ok one last time

000_3285.jpg

Oh wow yea i'm not offcenter that much and the chain is farily close to the frame i'd say within about an 1/8" but no notching has been done

Bike looks good not knocking it. But aren't those after-market fairings ??? If they are after-market fairings did you take the fairings off to inspect the bike before making the trade??? good luck with the fix we have quite a few fatty's here to steer you straight. :thumbsup:

Yes they are aftermarkets he also go the stockers fully prepped so they are ready for me to spray when i decide to he wanted to paint em for me to even things up but i couldnt decide what to do on em, bike came with the fairings off so i could decide what i wanted to do i like the paint on the chinese ones so i put em on for now, bikes spotless, 5400 miles:cheerleader:

Ok onto the problem, pulled the rear and not what i wanted to see, the spacers are correct
hayabusa026.jpg

So i'm thinking its gotta be in the sprockets, i've been on 2 wheels since i was 16 and owned a 02 busa some years back but this whole fat tire things got me a little intimidated. Could i run a hardened washer under each bolt on the sprocket to bring it out some? I keep going to that sprocket cause its a flashy aftermarket one so figured i'd start there

Oh wow yea i'm not offcenter that much and the chain is farily close to the frame i'd say within about an 1/8" but no notching has been done

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm makes me wonder if he put on the offset front sprocket, When going to a 240 the front sprocket is wider which will push the chain further outwards, which would move it away from the tire. but also places it closer to the frame which means you have to notch the frame as shown above.

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm makes me wonder if he put on the offset front sprocket, When going to a 240 the front sprocket is wider which will push the chain further outwards, which would move it away from the tire. but also places it closer to the frame which means you have to notch the frame as shown above.

Funny you should say that guess what i found in one of the boxes of stock parts a brand new never used 1/4" offset front 16 tooth:banghead:

So apparently he got lazy, gonna put this on, notch the frame and put her back together

The stocker is just flat correct?
haybusa027.jpg

Im not sure about the stock front ( Come on someone answer this one ) But it sure looks like you found the problem. :thumbsup:

Let us know how this turns out.

Is that an All Things Chrome kit? If so, you may need to take off a little more frame than Demmym did, i had too

looks like your on the right track now, install the offset front sprocket, clearence the frame and enjoy.

Last edited:
did you buy that bike from a guy in oklahoma? that looks exactly like a bike from down here that sold not to long ago and he was having all these problems because he didnt put the offset sprocket on...

I do believe its the same one, he put a chain roller on it but it was still rubbing, i like my stuff perfect so thats why i tore into it.

Dont know what kit it is, swing arms got hayabusa cut into it on the sides and tops, really really happy with the bike other than this lil issue.

Got the front sprocket changed out and now i'm against the frame, ate some steak and ready to go do some grinding, looks like this will take care of it:thumbsup:

Thanks for the welcome everyone, glad to be back on one of these, my legs and wrists are definately really glad since i been on a 900RR the past few years and i'm 6'4" 250 will let yall know how it turns out

Setup the rear tire to check and that sprocket is definately the ticket, all my die grinder bits are bout smoked so gotta pick up some new ones tomorrow, doesnt look like i'll have to take a ton out, what kinda clearance should i have between that chain and the frame, and what kind of slack should that chain have to it?

You wont need a whole lot of clearence as you can tell by this pic.

As for the chain, 1" of play should be right.

000_3285.jpg

Hey Matt, was this anyone we knew

000_3285.jpg

Back