Chain knocking on my Chain Buffer

mat_rock

Registered
Hi, I have this problem where the chain knocks against my chain touch buffer.
The sound is irritating.It's like my chain is having too much sag.
I have adjusted the chain slack and still the sound persists...

Is it normal to have this? Will it affect anything ?
My chain and sprockets are only about 10,000 km mileage.

What may be the cause here and what are the possible solutions other than changing the buffer?

Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks.

Last edited:
Make sure your chain/ rear wheel is aligned properly. Measure your chain to see if it is within spec, possible its stretched out. Check both Rear and Front sprockets for wear/ damage. When you measure for chain slack, measure in several spots...not just one spot and call it done. Make sure your chain-buffer is secure and hasn't been damaged.

I do not know the answer but is it possible that the cushions in the wheel / sproket deal are beat up / worn down and allowing for more movement than normal?

The sound is only there when I am moving off from stationary position.The sound goes away as I go faster..E.g Above 50km/h.

I have consulted a tech and was told that my chain is worn off...
He said so because the chain is 'tight' in some spots and 'loose' at some spots..so i guess its time for a new set of sprockets and chain..

Thanks all...
Will update again when I have changed the parts...Hopefully once the change has been done, the sound goes away...

Again, THANKS to all...

Last edited:
Make sure your chain/ rear wheel is aligned properly. Measure your chain to see if it is within spec, possible its stretched out. Check both Rear and Front sprockets for wear/ damage. When you measure for chain slack, measure in several spots...not just one spot and call it done. Make sure your chain-buffer is secure and hasn't been damaged.

A check on the stuff mentioned showed that all was well.
The buffer is not damaged.
So I guess, its the chain problem.

At high speeds, the ride is smooth.As though nothing is faulty.
Only when picking up from low speed.

Back