Chain/Sprocket mis-aligned

mrnyc01

Registered
Hi...have an 01 Busa. It was running fine until this past Sat me and some friends we at this bike shop. The mechanic noticed my chain was a little loose and offerd to tighten it up for me. Well since then I have heard a clicking noise coming from the back. That day after leaving the shop we got on this open strech of road and blasted for a few. I got up to about 110 - 120 mph. We had slowed down to a normal speed and I heard a loud "grinding or winding sound" coming from right below me. I thought my chain had broke. I pulled over, didn't find anything. The bike was running as normal. It didn't do it anymore since the first time. I blasted again later that day..but maybe 100 mph cause I was a little nervous from the sound before. I decided to loosen my chain a little yesterday, maybe it was too tight. I loosened it and still hear the clicking. I found a spot where the clicking is coming from. One of the teeth on my sprocket is not seating all the way in the chain. What happens is that when that certain tooth gets to the chain it doesn't fully seat in the chain but when it gets to "6 o'clock" the chain actually "snaps" into place. But it was not doing this before they tightened the chain. And now loosening it doesn't help.

Other than getting a new chain and sprockets (which is needed anyway..but no funds right now) what can I do?

Also if I rode it..will it hurt anything?

Thanks in advance!

My Chain was talking to me on my trip to Sturgis. I lubed and adjusted it. After the twisties there and 600 miles enroute back home it was really making some noise. At a fuel stop I saw I was likely a red hair from thowing it as there were rollers missing and slop in many links. Got raped at a Honda dealer in Liberty Kansas that was the only game in town. He knew it and I needed a chain. I recommend holding off on the tripple digits till that chain is replaced. RK or DID O-ring 530 117 stock size/length. Ebay search for a sprocket chain combo and get it to your favorite local shop to have it installed. Throwing a chain can be a real bad thing!

I would ride pretty mello until you get the new parts... If it were jump off the sprocket it would or could be VERY ugly....locked up rear wheel, hole in engine block or worse....

Back