Chain Pitch

Good thread all...

beerchug.gif

In my opinion, you'll be much better of drag racing with an aluminum sprocket than a 520 chain-sprocket set. I'm fairly stock. I've got an alum rear that has at least 150 passes. They will last just fine as long as the chain is in good shape. With the stock wheels the aluminum sprocket is 1.6 lbs lighter as well.

Thanks Professor i was waiting for you to chime in cuz I knew you drag alot. What gear set up (front/rear) do you have and what chain are you running? Thanks.

Can you also recommend a sponsor for a EK zzz chain or what ever is best for drag racing. Thanks.

I'm running a 16/42 with a EK ZZZ chain. It works very well with my combination. Running 140mph it puts me to the top of 4th in the 1/4 mile. It is going to depend on your MPH if you are running in the 145-146 range you might want to go to a 16/45 and run through the lights in 5th. 149-150mph 16/44 in 5th.

I have ran different combos on the street, but I'm running a 18/42 now. It is almost the same as stock.

Charles at Street and Track did me right on my ZZZ Chain(s). I've had a spare new one jsut in case but have been runnig the same one for 2 years now.

One more Question for the Professor; how much top end am i loosing on the street using a 16/44 or 17/44? Am I down to 160mph - lower or higher?

One more Question for the Professor; how much top end am i loosing on the street using a 16/44 or 17/44?  Am I down to 160mph - lower or higher?
Assuming no TRE or GPS mod about 160 with the 16/44, the 17/44 about 169.

Mod the GPS and add about 10mph with those gears. Of course you can still be limited by HP, weight, and wind drag at the upper end.

Here are some interesting number Motion Pro put together on some chains. The 525 ZZZ&ZVX2 ek does not look that bad. I'll still stay with my 530.

Motion Pro link

Again, thanks for the great info. I'm a numbers guy and I live by the raw data for early R & D.

I don't like the idea of using an aluminum sporcket on a drag bike at all. How can you tell when the sprocket has cycled out. With traction compounds on the track surface, tacky soft tire compounds and plenty of horsepower I would say it is a matter of time before that alunimum gives up. What you want is the strongest hardened steel sprocket you can buy. Take weight off with wave rotors and lighter wheels. Play safe and stay with steel! That's my 2 cents.

Back