Chain Pitch

Goes9s

Registered
Question for drag racing experts: What is the difference or advantages of changing from a 530 pitch to 520 pitch? Is the Regina Z chain any good? Thanks.

Stick with the 530...520 won't handle the torque of the Busa
argue.gif

Here's what I found on the subject. It's made for the Busa so why won't it handle the torque?

Vortex/Regina Sprocket Power-Up Kit - Suzuki GSXR1300R

Greatly improve the performance of your motorcycle with the Lockhart Phillips ?Power Up" kit. Consisting of a 520 conversion; precut high performance gold Regina Z-ring chain, precut to the perfect length, and the new black hard anodized Vortex sprockets, geared 1 down in front and 2 up in the rear, this kit provides a huge increase in acceleration and overall performance.

Lose up to 4 lbs. of unsprung mass.
1 lb of unsprung mass equals a 4 pounds weight loss anywhere else on the motorcycle.
Big improvement in acceleration, deceleration
Improved braking and handling
Great looking gold Regina Z ring chain
trick black anodized Vortex sprockets
Pre-cut chain for simple installation

and isn't the pitch the distance between teeth? So changing that shouldn't affect the strength of the chain particularly if you use an after market chain. How does the Regina Z stack up to drag racing? Am I way off base?

The GSXR600 and 750 come with a 525
The Busa comes with a 530

The suzuki engineers seem to think the 530 is stronger than the 525.

Can an aftermarket 520 be stronger than a stock 530, possibly. But a lot of Busa owners go for the aftermarket 530s that are even stronger than the stock 530 because stock chains have been know to break.

And going down one on the front only adds to the forces that try to break chains.

I don't think the little bit extra you get from a 520 is worth the risk of it breaking.

appreciate the feedback! So what chain would anyone recommend on a 16/42 set up? Price is no concern.

Another question: If the pitch is the distance between pins wouldn't 530 be a longer distance between pins than a 520? If so, the shorter distance would actually make it stronger not weeker, simple physics. Take a 4 inch pencil and put it between your fingers and push with your thumb to break it then try the same task with a 2 inch pencil and it becomes increasingly difficult.

Check the pin size on the 520 verses the 530.Even though alot of people go with a 16 tooth up front,I still wouldn't do it.It bends the chain too much when it rolls over the sprocket.This isn't no light weight 600.It's best to stick with a 17 tooth minimum and go up in the rear.Like a 17/44 or a 17/45.Chain will last longer with less stress.The 08 busa went up to a 18/43 gearing.Went up in the front to handle the extra power with no more stress.That says something right there.
Chains...........EK ZZZ OR TSUBAKI both are strong.Sight sponcers can hook you up.

Another question:  If the pitch is the distance between pins wouldn't 530 be a longer distance between pins than a 520?  If so, the shorter distance would actually make it stronger not weeker, simple physics.  Take a 4 inch pencil and put it between your fingers and push with your thumb to break it then try the same task with a 2 inch pencil and it becomes increasingly difficult.
But the pencil is the same size, diameter, in that example.

Now if the 4inch pencil was thicker in diameter than the 2inch pencil...

True, the pencil was the same diameter in the example and I went with that assumption when comparig both a 520 and a 530 chain assumming that the only change was the pitch. The 520 didn't mention a change in weight, thickness, pin diameter...just pitch so again i assumed all things are equal except pitch.

Can anyone confirm or deny?

True, the pencil was the same diameter in the example and I went with that assumption when comparig both a 520 and a 530 chain assumming that the only change was the pitch.  The 520 didn't mention a change in weight, thickness, pin diameter...just pitch so again i assumed all things are equal except pitch.  

Can anyone confirm or deny?
The reason that they claim so much of a weight savings is that the 530 is so much wider and taller (thick)...go to your local dealer and look at a 750 which has a 525...then look at the 530 on a Busa.

The 520 is even thinner and weaker than the 525.

All #50 chains have a .625" pitch. . That includes 520, 525, and 530.

All #50 chains have .400" roller diameter.

520 chains have .250" roller width.
525 chains have .3125" roller width.
530 chains have .375" roller width.

If construction is the same then the 530 chain will always be the strongest, and heaviest.

Now we're talking concrete numbers and data, something I can relate to but keep in mind that a lighter weight chain and a thinner chain doesn't equate to a weaker chain, that would depend on the maufacture of the after market chain. Vstrom said it well that if the construction (material) is the same then the 530 will be stronger (agreed). Which brings us back to one of the orginal questions, how well made is the Regina Z chain and is that nmaterial the same as a stock chain. The kit mentioned earlier in the thread is made for the Busa not the 750 or 600 but a Busa. If we're all saying that the kit won't stand up to a 180hp Busa then Vortex and Regina are smoking crack and they're out to kill all Busa drivers with a substandard chain.
Sorry for dragging this out but I only deal with facts not "could of", "would of" or "should of" data. I spent more than 10K on R&D for my race cars on what really works and what people said would work but if I can find concreate facts that will save me money that is very much appreciated. Thanks agian.

That'd be aluminum. You might as well buy a few 'cause they won't last as long as the stock steel sprocket. If longevity is of no concern, go for it.

cheers
ken
Yeah I did my homework on the sprockets and found out they were aluminum but they are treated and coated to "supposedly" last longer. It seems many Busa racers use Vortex so i thought I would go with them but if there is a better one please let me know. Thanks.

The big advantage to the 530 chain is the width of the roller, and the width of the sprocket. A stock Busa is putting out just shy of 100 lb/ft of torque. And weighs over 500 lbs.
When you accellerate you need to spread that load out as wide as possible, think snow shoe. I am sure you could get by with a 520, but I would inspect it daily for chain stretch and sprocket wear.
I would not consider anything smaller than a 530 chain.

Now we're talking concrete numbers and data, something I can relate to but keep in mind that a lighter weight chain and a thinner chain doesn't equate to a weaker chain, that would depend on the maufacture of the after market chain. Vstrom said it well that if the construction (material) is the same then the 530 will be stronger (agreed).  Which brings us back to one of the orginal questions, how well made is the Regina Z chain and is that nmaterial the same as a stock chain.  The kit mentioned earlier in the thread is made for the Busa not the 750 or 600 but a Busa.  If we're all saying that the kit won't stand up to a 180hp Busa then Vortex and Regina are smoking crack and they're out to kill all Busa drivers with a substandard chain.
Sorry for dragging this out but I only deal with facts not "could of", "would of" or "should of" data.  I spent more than 10K on R&D for my race cars on what really works and what people said would work but if I can find concreate facts that will save me money that is very much appreciated.  Thanks agian.
There is now concrete proof of what will last or be good enough because there are too many other factors that chain and sprocket manufacturers cannot control.

If the chain maintenance is performed correctly.
If the chain is adjusted and aligned properly.
etc...

Most of us though believe the gain in hp(due to less weight) in a 520 on a busa is not worth the risk of the chain or sprockets failing.

Racers may put the lightest stuff on, but they also inspect it after they ride and change out parts frequently.

Its up to you. What do you really want?

Fair enough; I don't mind changing out parts even monthly as long as I'm gaining the benefit through quick acceleration and time saved in the 1/4. What is a good manufacture for steel 16/42 sprockets?

Back