520 chain conversion

vmaxbaby

Registered
Has anyone done a 520 chain conversion, the 520 chain uses the same side plates just a narrower chain. They make them for the busa and claim to have the strength but talk is cheap would rather hear it from someone else. Before you ask the reason for the 520 over the 530 is over 4 pounds lighter which is rotation weight which is the best weight to loose, Especially on the drive train system.

Thanks,
Bill

They don't even put 520's on litre bikes....and you want to put one on a bike that
puts out about 30% more torque  
laugh.gif
 please post some pics after ya pick up the pieces
wink.gif

Hey Bro

Do yourself a favor and forget about putting a 520 (light wt) on a busa versus a 530 these claims are outrageous.... a 520 chain cannot handle the horsepower of a stock busa let alone a modified one..:p

There must be different grades of 520's because the race bikes that are putting out far more than the Busa are using them and my 02' 1K has one.
rock.gif

Moto GP bikes use 520, but who knows what type or the strenght of that, and it only has to last 1 race and you know they change it. I have decided to stick with the 530 EK chain just was wondering who tried it if any.

Thanks for the info.

Had a 520 on my 99 busa, and my 01 1000. ZERO problems at all. All you need to do is proper cleaning and replace the set once per riding season. Yes it is expensive, but will save a bunch of weight.

If you are using your bike for drag racing, then the answer is no.

I was breaking 520's on a 01 stock gixxer 750 with wore out 20k mile motor. The answer is no. You will have nothing but grief..

i used to wear through sprockets quick. couldnt get a steel rear sprocket on my old bike with the 520 and i wore through it quick. If you can get steel sprockets... i would consider it.

i used to wear through sprockets quick. couldnt get a steel rear sprocket on my old  bike with the 520 and i wore through it quick.  If you can get steel sprockets... i would consider it.
No offense but you guys can't be serious. The Busa packs about 100 or so ft/lbs of torque. Will you get by for a while with a 520? Yea maybe a while. Do you want to think about your chain breaking at 170+ or while you're hard on the gas in second gear?

If we all owned 100K + race teams with multiple bikes and tech support right in our pits/garage then I would I guess if the performance is that important to you. Otherwise it will eventually wad up your sh!t and probably break an engine case, hopefully to be lucky enough to not wreck or hurt the guy riding behind you with the chain.

My .02, to each his own.

Keep in mind there are guys snapping stock chains here on the board, and yes they were properly maintained.

Back