Pre-stretched chains- how do you know

Shibumi

Donating Member
Registered
Looking to buy the D.I.D. 530ZVM2 chain to replace my stocker which is at the stretch point after 12,000 miles.

This chain is reputed to be pre-stretched to eliminate chain adjustment, and in a separate poll Charles testifies to this being fact.

The only wear indicator I am aware of to know a chain needs replacing is when it is stretched beyond a certain measure, so NOW what?!?
rock.gif

How will you know when to replace this chain before it breaks on you??

P.S.- Anyone out there running a 520 conversion on a Busa? If so how many miles on it?

I don't know much about that particular chain. I have had the EK 530ZZZ chain installed for about 1500 miles and it hasn't required a single adjustment. It's not pre-stretched, so the factory specs still apply to it for checking on the chain condition. I ride my bike pretty hard too, and still nothing. I am pretty happy with it.

Check with the chain manufacturer.  But you check chain stretch by counting the number of pins in a certain amount of distance.

Here's the stock chain's criteria;

qp.jpg

(Charlesbusa @ Sep. 25 2007,12:37) Check with the chain manufacturer. But you check chain stretch by counting the number of pins in a certain amount of distance.

EXACTLY!!

Refer back to original question...
rock.gif

Regardless of who made the chain and if it was prestretched (if there is such a method) or not, if a 500 series chain goes beyond the dimensions Charles posted it is beyond the wear limits and will cause excessive wear on sprockets and will be prone to failure.

All 500 series chains have a pin to pin dimension of 5/8â€￾ or .625â€￾. 20 links will give us a dimension of 12.5 inches new.

I think you will find the chain actually wears instead of stretches. The wear on the inside of the pins make more clearance which makes the chain longer in the pin to pin measurement. So roughly 3 ½ thousands wear per pin will exceed the standard service link.

I don’t see the advantage of running a smaller chain on the street. Sure you might gain the equivalent of a HP but at what cost? Less chain life, more of a chance of breakage, and more maintenance. Everything else being equal, changing to a 520 or 525 reduces the load carrying capability of each component in the drive systems. The 530 has 50% more load carrying bearing surface on each pin over the 520!

(Shibumi @ Sep. 25 2007,13:36)
(Charlesbusa @ Sep. 25 2007,12:37) Check with the chain manufacturer.  But you check chain stretch by counting the number of pins in a certain amount of distance.

EXACTLY!!

Refer back to original question...  
rock.gif
That's why I said to check with the chain's manufacturer
wink.gif

It'll probably be the same as the stock like the professor said.
beerchug.gif

Ok, just reread your post.

The DID and all aftermarket chains will eventually stretch.  I think I had to adjust mine once or twice after installing it.  Whether it stretched a little or I just didn't get it exactly where I wanted it, I don't know.  But after those 1 or 2 adjustments after installation, the chain hasn't stretched in over a year.  But it will stretch eventually  
wink.gif
 These chains are much stronger than the stock one so they will last longer.

Plus you need to inspect the sprockets peroidically to check for wear or bending. The rear is easy, but the front takes removing the cover plate to see it.

Out of the stock rear, front sprockets and chain, the first thing to wear out was my front sprocket. So don't forget to inspect those
biggrin.gif

(Charlesbusa @ Sep. 25 2007,16:14) Ok, just reread your post.

The DID and all aftermarket chains will eventually stretch. I think I had to adjust mine once or twice after installing it. Whether it stretched a little or I just didn't get it exactly where I wanted it, I don't know. But after those 1 or 2 adjustments after installation, the chain hasn't stretched in over a year. But it will stretch eventually
wink.gif

Plus you need to inspect the sprockets peroidically to check for wear or bending. The rear is easy, but the front takes removing the cover plate to see it.

Out of the stock rear, front sprockets and chain, the first thing to wear out was my front sprocket. So don't forget to inspect those
biggrin.gif
Cool.
smile.gif

I'm going to replace both sprockets and the chain before I tuck her in for the winter, currently at 12,000 miles.

(Shibumi @ Sep. 25 2007,08:35)

The DID and all aftermarket chains will eventually stretch.  I think I had to adjust mine once or twice after installing it.  Whether it stretched a little or I just didn't get it exactly where I wanted it, I don't know.  But after those 1 or 2 adjustments after installation, the chain hasn't stretched in over a year.  But it will stretch eventually  
wink.gif

Plus you need to inspect the sprockets peroidically to check for wear or bending.  The rear is easy, but the front takes removing the cover plate to see it.

Out of the stock rear, front sprockets and chain, the first thing to wear out was my front sprocket.  So don't forget to inspect those  
biggrin.gif
Cool.  
smile.gif

I'm going to replace both sprockets and the chain before I tuck her in for the winter, currently at 12,000 miles.
Just FYI, I changed my OE chain at 18,800 miles and the sprockets looked great! I went with the DID X ring.

(CBXRider @ Sep. 25 2007,16:54)
(Shibumi @ Sep. 25 2007,08:35)

wink.gif

Plus you need to inspect the sprockets peroidically to check for wear or bending.  The rear is easy, but the front takes removing the cover plate to see it.

Out of the stock rear, front sprockets and chain, the first thing to wear out was my front sprocket.  So don't forget to inspect those  
biggrin.gif
Cool.  
smile.gif

Just FYI, I changed my OE chain at 18,800 miles and the sprockets looked great!  I went with the DID X ring.
Great chain (o-ring) for Dyno numbers pulls and racing, just make sure you keep that bad boy lube if your riding on the street, especially in the rain,dirt etc.

Back