Chain lubing.

SCBQQSTN

Registered
I heard that we are supposed to lube the chain up every time we go to ride. Is this true? If so what specific product do you guys use to lube the chain?

I do it after every ride...while the chain is still warm.

lotsa different lubes out there...I use Maxima Chain Wax. There are a couple of other ones I may try when I run out.

yes, when WARM....... PJ1 Blue (and PJ1 Black) for lube.... from Don Smiths Motorcycle Consumer News Article of many moons ago.

I lube my chain when ever it looks dry and every 400 miles which is about a month work of riding for me. :beerchug:

that's nasty :laugh, must fling all over the bike, not to mention all the crap that is going to get caught up in it.

It does fling all over initially. As far as crap getting caught up, not at all.

I tried it last year for the first time. Chain looked great from early on throughtout the enitre season. I don't care what anyone says, it worked great and I'll keep doing it. Chain looks like it's been freshly greased every day I ride.

Forget those fancy chain waxes and lubes, bearing grease all the way :laugh:

Last edited:
It does fling all over initially. As far as crap getting caught up, not at all.

I tried it last year for the first time. Chain looked great from early on throughtout the enitre season. I don't care what anyone says, it worked great and I'll keep doing it. Chain looks like it's been freshly greased every day I ride.

Forget those fancy chain waxes and lubes, bearing grease all the way :laugh:

Well I hope it works out for you. Just because I wouldn't use it doesn't mean it's not good. I've just found with any kind of waxes or heavy greases that crap stuck to it. That's why I love the Dupont Teflon spray. Dries clean with no waxy or greasy residue.

Well I hope it works out for you. Just because I wouldn't use it doesn't mean it's not good. I've just found with any kind of waxes or heavy greases that crap stuck to it. That's why I love the Dupont Teflon spray. Dries clean with no waxy or greasy residue.

I was a little reluctant to use it for the reason of things sticking to it. Overall I think it worked out well, well enough that I did it again this year.

I'm sure there are better products depending on what you are looking for and each has it's own advantages and disadvantages..

Lube:
Every other tank of gas with chain wax.

Cleaning:
Never clean your chain with a brush, it just crams dirt into the o-rings. Just wipe the plates off with a rag soked with W-D 40 and never spray it on the chain.

Adjust:
Sit on the bike and roll it 5 inches at a time and feel the slack in the chain, if it's to loose keep roll and check till you find the "tight spot" in the chain and adjust from there. If you adjust from the loose spot then the tight spot will be too tight and could stress drive berings.

You must stay ontop of your chain if you want it to last. A little effort goes along way

tight spot? i think you need a new chain.

I lube mine every 200-300 miles. Which is about a day ride! So i guess every day! :laugh:

for me it's about once a month or every 500 miles ..
I live in sunny dry Florida and rarely ride in the rain .
Only thing I have to worry about is sand.
It's harder than anything and it will wear things out if you leave it on and let it scrape on stuff.

Lube:
Every other tank of gas with chain wax.

Cleaning:
Never clean your chain with a brush, it just crams dirt into the o-rings. Just wipe the plates off with a rag soked with W-D 40 and never spray it on the chain.

Adjust:
Sit on the bike and roll it 5 inches at a time and feel the slack in the chain, if it's to loose keep roll and check till you find the "tight spot" in the chain and adjust from there. If you adjust from the loose spot then the tight spot will be too tight and could stress drive berings.

You must stay ontop of your chain if you want it to last. A little effort goes along way

+1 exactly how I maintain mine:thumbsup:

Pro fi dry lube. Apply the lube post cleaning the bike and after a quick spin to warm the chain. I did use Castrol chain wax on previous bike but hated the amount of gunk that the chain picked up. I had visions of all the grit and crap it picked up would work away at the integrity of the chain. Have used nothing but Pro fi dry lube on the Busa and the chain looks brand new still after 4500 miles. The beauty of the dry lube is that it keeps the chain clean, nothing sticks to it, and you can spot any corrosion from the get go.

Back