Chain Cleaning

V-Max 2 Busa

Registered
OK, I know this is probably really basic to most of you but I've got questions I'm still not quite sure about. The Busa I bought was described as "Meticiously Maintained" well I guess the previous owner missed the recommended chain cleaning & lubrication every 600 miles, my dirt bikes and quad chains are cleaner than this thing, looks really nasty. So how do you guys go about cleaning your chains? I take it there is no clip type master link so that it can be easily removed and cleaned in a pan of kerosene, seems that way would be most effective and make less of an overall mess than cleaning it on the bike, I think I'm gonna have to degrease and wash the bike after cleaning the chain. Owner's manual says to use engine oil on chain after cleaning, wouldn't that just get slung all over the place resulting in another necessary degreasing & washing? What methods & products have you guys found to work well for you?

I have yet to do mine thoroughly, but from what I gather it is best to get karosene and a small brush. Put some of the karo in a bowl and if you have a rear stand spin the whell and brush the chain as you go, if no stand just walk down the drive way as you clean.

then apply chain wax.

ps... ride it first for a few minutes to warm the chain
beerchug.gif

I use a product called Chain Clean...spray on hose off...works great. I also use it for other heavy duty cleaning. Use sparingly...it doesn't take much and it's pretty expensive.

(Rayabusa0818 @ May 26 2007,19:01) I use a product called Chain Clean...spray on hose off...works great.  I also use it for other heavy duty cleaning. Use sparingly...it doesn't take much and it's pretty expensive.
Don - is that Chain Clean from Motorex?

Kerosine and a grunge brush for the chain. While I'm at it, I somewhat clean up the flung chainwax with a rag an kerosine. Then I clean the whole area up with Orange degreaser followed by the power washer.

(omslaw @ May 26 2007,20:46)
(Rayabusa0818 @ May 26 2007,19:01) I use a product called Chain Clean...spray on hose off...works great.  I also use it for other heavy duty cleaning. Use sparingly...it doesn't take much and it's pretty expensive.
Don - is that Chain Clean from Motorex?
Yes. That's the one.

I just did mine today. I put it up on the rear stand and thoroughly saturate the entire chain with WD-40 since I don't have kerosene. Then I use a durable rag, since I don't have a brush, and clean each link by holding rag on chain as I spin the rear wheel with the other hand. Once I get all of the gunk of I use another rag and remove as much of the oil as possible. Then I go for a 10 min. ride to warm up the chain, come back put it up on the stand and spray with Maxima Chain Wax. Let it sit a while, usually overnight cause this is generally the last thing I do. Next day or next ride, go for a 10 min. ride come back and wipe off any fling.

Repeat every couple weeks or couple hundred miles or so...unless I get caught in the rain, then I wipe and wax when I get home.

beerchug.gif

Good to know!

I bought a can of Motorex chain clean AND lubricant along with a grunge brush specifically for chains. I finally got around to buying the rear stand so I can get this accomplished.

I'm going to pick up some orange clean or simple green to clean the rest of the rear portion that's caked in road grime & what not. Use this with the pressure washer.

QUESTION: After cleaning, is it best to ride the bike around the block to warm up the chain BEFORE applying the lubricant? I read this somewhere.

TIA

(00Negative @ May 26 2007,22:15) QUESTION:  After cleaning, is it best to ride the bike around the block to warm up the chain BEFORE applying the lubricant?  I read this somewhere.

TIA
I think so, I'm sure we will here from the experts, but I think the O rings will absorb lubricant better when they are warm. I lube my chain immediately when I return from a ride while the chain is still warm.

Well, got the chain all cleaned up, sure looks pretty all shiney clean & gold instead of sludge black & dirt. I swear some guys shouldn't be allowed to own tools let alone a bike likle the Busa, the more I get into this bike the more stupid crap I find (neglected maintenance, stripped bolts, etc). I don't have any stands yet so that made it kind of a pain having to keep moving it a couple feet every couple minutes. I ended up using terry cloth towels soaked in kerosene, by the time I got to the forth towel it was nice and clean, after fully dry I just wiped it down with a little Castrol GTX on a shop towel, should be good for now, much better than it was anyway. So now it seemed like a good time to put on the new chrome chain guard i Got from Spyder Racing, what a total piece of crap! Dosen't fit at all, looks like some tweaker designed this thing. You would think that for a 150 dollar "Custom" part they would at least make sure the pattern was correct before they sent them into production. (man I'm really kinda pissed right now) should I expect all aftermarket "custom" parts to be made this poorly? Can anyone recommend a nice looking, good fitting aftermarket chain guard? Thanks guys.

I get off work this morning at 6am (12hr shift) and instead of hitting the pillow, I think I'll clean the bike!

Got me some of that new "ICE" for the detailing. Hope it works out right.

(V-Max 2 Busa @ May 27 2007,00:45) I swear some guys shouldn't be allowed to own tools let alone a bike likle the Busa, the more I get into this bike the more stupid crap I find (neglected maintenance, stripped bolts, etc).
ah, the joys of pre-owned vehicles. Glad you got the chain taken care of. The stock chain will last 20,000 miles if properly maintained. As for the aftermartet, some companies just bang out crap, and others care about the quality of their products.

(00Negative @ May 26 2007,21:15) QUESTION:  After cleaning, is it best to ride the bike around the block to warm up the chain BEFORE applying the lubricant?  I read this somewhere.

TIA
When the chain is warm, the lubricant will thin out and penetrate instead of just sitting on top waiting to be flung off.

(bradsbusa @ May 26 2007,23:56)
firedevil.gif

firedevil.gif
  that does happen with aftermarket usually at the wrong times
wow.gif

wow.gif
Maybe I'm missing something here but when is the right time to throw away good money on a nice new shiney custom part that is designed poorly and will not fit properly?

firedevil.gif

wow.gif

(V-Max 2 Busa @ May 27 2007,13:04)
(bradsbusa @ May 26 2007,23:56)
firedevil.gif

firedevil.gif
  that does happen with aftermarket usually at the wrong times
wow.gif

wow.gif
Maybe I'm missing something here but when is the right time to throw away good money on a nice new shiney custom part that is designed poorly and will not fit properly?
can you send it back?

firedevil.gif

wow.gif

Back