Fool Proof Chain Cleaning

bigone5500

Registered
So who out there uses water to clean their chains after scrubbing? I have seen some on youtube use a pressure washer after scrubbing but I think that's a bad idea. I coat down my chain with cleaner and scrub the crap out of it with a grunge brush (the one branded as DuPont). Then I spray it down again with cleaner and wipe it for about 5 minutes trying to get it all off. I don't ever get all of the cleaner off but 99% of it is gone. I then use Maxima chain wax and let it sit for half an hour.

I'm guessing my method is probably not the best way so I was curious as to how you guys care for yours.

By the way, I have read a couple other posts on here and a lot of you guys use kerosene to clean. However, Suzuki states this in their manual:

1700280246796.png

So why do they say not to use kerosene?

A dental hygenist once gave me an Oral-B "Denture Brush" after I told him about only using the free toothbrushes that they gave me every visit, to clean my chain. Worked great with some good ol WD-40! One thing I do is fold up a paper towel and stick it between the chain and the upper rub block on the swingarm to absorb all the nastiness that would otherwise run all over the swingarm. Then brush and wipe with paper towels.

cleaning a chain ?

the heck what for :banghead:
if u hadn´t have a dive in a swamp ?

moto-crossers sometimes to often need that cleaning - okay.

but road bikes like our busas etc. - i mean - never need that cleaning - eventually a short superficial wipe with a napkin / a rag or so.

that´s all at a modern chain.

but
- in the last 40 years - NONE OF MY CHAINS ever "met" a rag .

all my bikes have a "Scott Oiler" - thats all and they last way over 80000 kms .

what a waste of time that would be - in my view (and exp.)

So who out there uses water to clean their chains after scrubbing? I have seen some on youtube use a pressure washer after scrubbing but I think that's a bad idea. I coat down my chain with cleaner and scrub the crap out of it with a grunge brush (the one branded as DuPont). Then I spray it down again with cleaner and wipe it for about 5 minutes trying to get it all off. I don't ever get all of the cleaner off but 99% of it is gone. I then use Maxima chain wax and let it sit for half an hour.

I'm guessing my method is probably not the best way so I was curious as to how you guys care for yours.

By the way, I have read a couple other posts on here and a lot of you guys use kerosene to clean. However, Suzuki states this in their manual:

View attachment 1672907

So why do they say not to use kerosene?

At one time kerosene was recommended by Suzuki, and other manufacturers.
Now they don't so they don't have to be liable, as Suzuki doesn't make chains.

I use Maxima stuff to clean and oil (wax) whatever. The only time I ever rinse with water is I missed a cleaning or it looked especially gunky. Cut a cardboard box to sit around the hub and spray it down, brush with an old toothbrush or chain scrubber if I can find it, (sometimes rinse with water but not sprayed, just out the hose end) wax and let it sit. Done. Every bike the same way and my chains last. The gold links and blue master always look sharp!

After every 200ish mile ride I put the rear on the Pit Bull and I soak and ring out a rag with mineral spirits (oil diluted mineral spirits from my parts washer) and I hand wipe my chain and the sides of my rear sprocket and inner hub. I also use the same rag to wipe off any residue or fling from the rear wheel, then idle in 1st gear and give the chain a good coat of Maxima chain wax and let it set overnight to dry. My gold links and rear sprocket looks like new. Some will probably disagree with mineral spirits but I’ve done this for years on several motorcycles with no issues, it’s what I do.

I used WD-40 to clean my first two chains and noticed black "whiskers" of rubber sticking out of the links and also strewn on the rear wheel. It was probably just the thin bur of rubber that forms on worn o-rings from being compressed between the inner and outer plates of the links. ...next time you change your chain, have a look at the o-rings on the link you cut and you'll see what I mean. If those delicate burs are effected by WD-40, probably the whole o-ring is too. Back to the point, I never used WD-40 again to clean my chain after those experiences. I've used mineral spirits ever since and I've never seen those black whiskers again.

That reminds me of story...

After a winter of nearly killing myself with CO in the garage, I still had five gallons of kerosene come spring time. My solution was to pour a few gallons into the green machine every now and then. It was a bit harder to start cold, and the 360 had a bit of detonation under load, but otherwise she ran just fine.

c-M.jpg

I use water to clean my chain... but in this sequence.

1. Use "Chain cleaner" on the chain and let it sit for 2 minutes or so.
2. I use a brush to brush in the cleaner into the chain
3. Rinse with clean water to get the dirt off the chain from a hose
4. Use the brush again to assist in this process
5. Ride the bike down the street and back
6. Lube the chain with Motul Lubricant

Not sure if this is the correct method but it seems to work well for me.

I use water to clean my chain... but in this sequence.

1. Use "Chain cleaner" on the chain and let it sit for 2 minutes or so.
2. I use a brush to brush in the cleaner into the chain
3. Rinse with clean water to get the dirt off the chain from a hose
4. Use the brush again to assist in this process
5. Ride the bike down the street and back
6. Lube the chain with Motul Lubricant

Not sure if this is the correct method but it seems to work well for me.

The goal is to keep the o-rings in good condition, and sticky crud off, so your way works just fine.

For 18 years I’ve put the bike on a rear stand , crank it, kickstand up, put it in gear, sprayed it down with WD-40, carefully using a sock balled up clean the crap off the chain, spray it with maxim wax. I do it when the chains hot. Let it sit as long as I can afterwards. Overnight…….

Back