Auto Brake Cleaner for Chain??

eynlai

Registered
Yup, I'm back with another mind boggling question. I thought of this the other day: Instead of using the special "chain cleaner", wouldn't it be okay to use regular brake cleaner you can buy at Pep Boys / AutoZone, etc... instead? If you look at it, "chain cleaners" at $8 / can is suppose to clean chains of grease, old lube, dirt, etc... while being safe for the rubbers near the chains. But regular brake cleaners at $2.50 / can were also made to clean off grease, dirt, etc... while being rubber safe since it may come in contact with the rubber o-rings of the pistons in the calipers. So, wouldn't it be reasonable to think that brake cleaners are actually safer (not to mention cheaper) to use since they were made to come in contact with rubber that's more critical?

Any thoughts? Like to hear it.

I see no ones replied with a dispute or confirmation to my question. I'm almost certain it's safe. I'll be brave and take the first try and let you all know.

Manual says Kerosene. This will not dry out or crack the chains o-rings. I think the brake cleaner would be too harsh by far. IMO
wink.gif

if you're not using an o-ring chain then it should be ok.

I would think the abrasive properties of carb/brake cleaner is too much and will eat away at the rubber o-rings.

Thanks guys. I'll probably take the wd-40 approach. I thought that brake cleaner might be safe because it's made to clean without eating away at the rubber o-rings and seals of the piston/bore in the brake caliper. I guess the rubber seals used near the chain of a bike is different.

Back