Chain Cleaning

(boazalmighty @ May 26 2007,22:34) i take my chain off once a week and stick in the dishwasher
Come on noddlez
ices_rofl.gif

I used WD-40 to clean my chain the first time, then I noticed more grim running out of the chain when I applied the wax, so I just started using the wax as cleaner as well. Rear stand ( new ) spin chain applying wax. Take rag and wipe off excess, let it sit for 24 hours if I can, use WD-40 to clean pipe and wheel after first ride.
laugh.gif

Agree with the warm chain thought. Use Maxima Chain Guard Crystal Clear Chain Lube
super.gif

First off, I've never heard of anything good coming from using wd40 on your chain. The owners manual says to use kerosene, that's what I use on a rag, to wipe off the old wax after about 800km. Then I'd ride it for at least 10min, sometimes alot more, then put it right up on the rear stand and spray the inside of the chain with wax. My stock chain has 30,000km on it now, and is just starting to pull away from the rear sprocket if you grab it at the 3 o'clock position.

I just replaced my chain last night. It had 30,000 miles on it and the sprockets look like new! for cleaning, I pull the rear wheel and place a pan under the bike with about an inch of kerosene in it. Drop the chain in the pan and clean with a parts brush. Wipe off the excess and reinstall the rear wheel. This method also will allow you to clean the rear sprocket, and inside of the swing arm and under rear fender, along with adjusting the chain when you put the rear tire back on.

(V-Max 2 Busa @ May 26 2007,23:45) So now it seemed like a good time to put on the new chrome chain guard i Got from Spyder Racing, what a total piece of crap! Dosen't fit at all, looks like some tweaker designed this thing. You would think that for a 150 dollar "Custom" part they would at least make sure the pattern was correct before they sent them into production. (man I'm really kinda pissed right now) should I expect all aftermarket "custom" parts to be made this poorly? Can anyone recommend a nice looking, good fitting aftermarket chain guard? Thanks guys.
I read stories like that all the time which is exactly why I don't have a new undertail, etc. etc. etc.

If it ain't made by Suzuki, I have major reservations about buying it.

--Wag--

If you use Du-Pont chain saver you will NEVER have to clean your chain. Spray it on and wipe it off and you're good to go. 35K out of my first chain and sprocket . Supersprox shows no wear on the next 15K for a total of 50K. Spray it every 500 miles or so and wipe it off. Lube stays on the o-rings where it needs to be. Chain stays shiny and new. Sprockets look great.

Wal-mart motorcycle section. Clean your chain of all petroleum based stuff using your solvent of choice and a chain brush. kerosene is cheap and recommended. Wipe the chain clean, Douse it with chain saver. I put my bike up on a rear stand and spray at the top of the sprocket and let it run down the back. Wipe the chain down and you're good. The carrier will evaporate and leave a film of Teflon and wax right where it needs to be. After your initial clean and lube, just hit it every 500 miles or so. Once or twice a year I give it a good douse and wipe. Your chain will be clean, quiet and last a long time. I have a sheet of cardboard with a u shape cut in it the same width as the hub. I slide it between the wheel and sprocket and it keeps the wheel clean wile I lube the chain.

I have yet to do mine thoroughly,
but from what I gather it is best to get karosene and a small brush.

Put some of the karo in a bowl and if you have a rear stand
spin the wheel and brush the chain as you go,
if no stand just walk down the drive way as you clean.

Then apply chain wax.

ps... ride it first for a few minutes to warm the chain
beerchug.gif

Not that I know of Jake,but once you try one you'll wonder how you ever got along without it(I'm not shittin' ya either bro,everybody should have one of these gizmos).:D

That's no joke. I am on my third because of friends wanting to "try it out". They are cheap enough and the company is fast and easy enough to deal with I don't mind. I already know that as soon as they try it I will not see it again. Lol

And just clean with that clear kerosene?

I bought a grunge brush about a year ago and have yet to use it(probably just too lazy:D,and my chain never seems to get very dirty).I usually use the Grease Ninja with some Motul Chain Clean about every 1,000 miles/3rd lube,followed up with Motul Chain Lube about every 300 miles(which I let sit over night and then wipe off any excess the next morning with a little WD-40 on a rag,seems to work out ok).

Back