rear sprocket question

GSXcite

Squirrel Master
Donating Member
Registered
Have the rear sprocket off for cleaning. Had alot of buildup from chain lube so I washed it off with kerosene. After blowing it off it was nice and clean but I noticed the bearing did not appear to have much lubricant in it. Before reassembly should I put some type of lubrication on the bearing? If so, what should I use? The bearing spins freely, but it seems to me it should have some kind of lubrication.

Mine was the same way,I grabbed some bearing grease and the best I could packed it in there with my finger...

I use some high-temp bearing grease for it. It's a reddish pink stuff I got from Auto-Zone or Pep Boys a couple years ago just for that bearing. It's the smallest can they have and it'll likely last me for-frickin'-ever.

--Wag--

(Wag @ Jan. 17 2007,17:47) I use some high-temp bearing grease for it.  It's a reddish pink stuff I got from Auto-Zone or Pep Boys a couple years ago just for that bearing.  It's the smallest can they have and it'll likely last me for-frickin'-ever.

--Wag--
Did that stuff come in a small spray can?

GSXcite...I'm in the same boat kind of.. I took all the bearings out for powder coating. During reassembly, one bearing slipped out of hand and landed in the grass
guns.gif
So, I ended up cleaning the he!! out of it to ensure nothing was in there, now I need to repack the grease in it. I was also looking at hi-temp grease, but I think its a green formula, not sure though.

(GSXcite @ Jan. 17 2007,19:49)
(Wag @ Jan. 17 2007,17:47) I use some high-temp bearing grease for it.  It's a reddish pink stuff I got from Auto-Zone or Pep Boys a couple years ago just for that bearing.  It's the smallest can they have and it'll likely last me for-frickin'-ever.

--Wag--
Did that stuff come in a small spray can?
I'm not sure you'll want to use any spray stuff. In order to spray it, it has to be thinned; not good for bearings.

Pickup a can of bearing grease from AutoZone, Advance, O'Reilly, etc. It will be fairly thick (color will vary on brand - The stuff I have is blue). Dig yer fingers in there, scoop some out and do your best to 'pack' it into the bearing.

Pickup a can of bearing grease from AutoZone, Advance, O'Reilly, etc. It will be fairly thick (color will vary on brand - The stuff I have is blue). Dig yer fingers in there, scoop some out and do your best to 'pack' it into the bearing. [/Quote]
That's what I'm talking about!!
beerchug.gif

Back