Chain Maintenance

A'Busa'd

Donating Member
Registered
The manual says to clean and lubricate the chain every 600 miles, but I'm wondering what's happening in the real world.

How many go beyond the recommended 600 miles? (what me worry?) Who has never serviceed their chain? (this thing has a chain?) Who slacks off and just squirts some lube on there without cleaning first? (it'll do) Who among us wakes up in the middle of the night in a cold sweat because it just occurred to them that the next chain maintenance date is rapidly approaching? (anal)

Personally, I've been following the manual intervals. I just love a clean chain!
tounge.gif

I'm not sure if I've ever "cleaned" a chain in 27 yrs of riding.
I do, however, check adjustment and condition prior to every ride and adjust as is needed.

Probably a good idea to clean it once in awhile, might make it last longer......

i clean mine maybe every 2-3 months and lub it after I get finished washing it.

I spray mine with some wd-40 wipe it down then lube it. once a month during summer or after a rain/wash

I try to stay around the 600 miles. Clean with WD 40 and lube her up good. Almost 10k miles and no sign of wear on chain or sprockets.

About every 500 miles or so. WD40, wipe it down, ride to work and back, lube chain, good to go.

Every saturday morning my bike gets a full cleaning, including the chain. WD-40 to clean and Maxima for wax. Got right in around 21k miles outta the stock chain with plenty of "hard" riding in there.

21K is awsome chain life---for a stock DID. I now have a DID X-ring--so far so good .
The main thing about modern O-Ring chains--once it is broken in---it should not ever need to be adjusted......untill it is toast--a modern chain will last only so long 10K or 20K---as soon as you see red rust coming out past the orings it's a gonner--replace it asap and your sprockets will live on.
TRUE.....Four chains in 40K miles 900 Ninja--sprockets were still fine....belive it...
wink.gif

And once a chain go's it go's fast. See red dust and feel it in the foot pegs.....time for new chain and sprocket.

I usually lube it every few times I ride, check adjustment every few months, and do a good cleaning every few months also

Chain is atleast as important as wheels to your ride. It has to take all the pressure from the engine and transport it to the rear wheel. Take excellent care of it and you will be treated fine. Forget about it and you might just have a large mass of metal come flying by your head or into the back of your head when it snaps. Plus all the money you will end up on cases and repairs. Once a week and all is good.

I clean and adjust if needed every 600 to  1000 miles. It's one of those things if it goes wrong your ride is over, not everyone can fix a chain like a flat tire.

<!--EDIT|manatrader
Reason for Edit: None given...|1116865518 -->

I clean and adjust if needed every 600 to  1000 miles. It's one of those things if it goes wrong your ride is over, not everyone can fix a chain like a flat tire.
Word. Can you think of being out on a long ride (hundreds of miles from home) and your chain snaps because of lack of maintenance. I clean mine every 300 miles. I like my chain as clean as my bike.

URBAN COWBOY

Learned the hard way. It's not just lubing the chain. It's cleaning it also. Dirty chain becomes jammed by dirt and breaks from erratic movement.
Clean using WD-40. Two and three WD40 cleaning passes. Blow the WD40/grease byproduct off with air compressor and go through a roll of hand towels
biggrin.gif
Use Chain wax and wipe excess off. Can eat off that nickle plated Tsubaki
tounge.gif

Thinking of placing the chain in a Vacuum sealer bag. Add a cup of high pressure grease. Seal and vacuum pack it. Boil in a pot of water the vacuum selaed bag and chain for 10 minutes melting the grease. Then cut a corner on the bag and revacuum seal it. Marinate to 24 hours
biggrin.gif
Clean the excess grease of like normal road dirt.

biggrin.gif

Surpised to see how many folks use WD40-- there's been a few tests where it's shown to be detrimental for cleaning chains.

I have been warned about WD-40 too, but on the last chain I only cleaned it with WD-40 and used no lube and got about the same results as the one before that, that got lubed too. Now on this one I have been cleaning with WD-40 and using PJ1 Black label, but bought a can of blue label.

Question: Black label is supposed to be for X ring chains, how does it work/affect O ring chains?

Also, it foams up real well, but the blue label stuff doesn't...just looks like you are spraying water on the chain???
wow.gif

Anyone know if this is normal or is the blue label stuff supposed to foam up too?

I just want to use what is best and will get the best life out of my chains. So far none have lasted over 10,000 on the CBR600 F2. Meanwhile, CB has used black label on the Busa and is at 21,000 with stock chain??
rock.gif
rock.gif

rock.gif

Back