Ccw?

Thompson Center Contender chambered in 45/70 government! :thumbsup:

Doesnt conceal worth a crap, holds one round, slow to reload, but i am dead azz accurate from 1' to 100+ yards!

Go with what ya got and make every shot count! :laugh:

For concealed carry the Ruger LCP is perfect. I know alot of guys that carry them for undercover work and they are light thin. A .380 is merely a 9mm projectile with a shorter cartridge (a little less powder and muzzle velocity) The only reason you would need it is for an oh sh*t situation and in that case it will likely be withing a less then 5 foot distance. Your not likely to be trying to make a 20 yard shot, so this gun is fine. I can tell you from personal experience that the subcompact Glocks, Springfields and S&W are heavy, and bulky. On a side not the S&W sigma series guns are crap.

mine with the original grips on it, it i took them off cause i didnt want to ruin them

and with the combat grips which im taking off, cuz they are to big for my hands, and when i wrap my hand around it causes me to pull to the right

006.jpg

015.jpg

here is a picture of the xdm40 compact
One has a regular clip that is 11+1
The other has an extended clip which makes it 16+1

Love the XD-M
Check the state laws before you purchase one
I know some states only allow a certain amount of rounds

Really - if revolvers were superior in their own right - worldwide militarys would still be issuing Smith and Wesson and Colt revolvers.
Not really a fair comparison. I was just making a case that based on SIMPLICITY of design and reliability. Yes they will misfire, but guess what? You just pull the trigger again and bang.. Unlike having to re-rack an automatic, etc. I wouldn't carry a revolver anyway, just making the point is all..

Revolvers might be great and all but...it still takes days to reload one in comparison to a semi...with that said, i will take a crappy automatic ( such as beretta or a taurus ) over the best revolver out there
For concealed carry, you shouldn't really ever need more than 3 shots. Shot placement should be more important than shot quantity. Again, I'm not saying a revolver is the best choice, just that it IS a choice is all.. It does take forever to reload a revolver, and I don't think they are very comfy for carry, but the OP was looking for options, and options we shall give him..

I have to disagree with Gsxrbots, I carry a s&w sigma .40 and i love it, besides having a little to heavy of a trigger I love it. It may not be the most expensive, or flashiest gun on the market, but with some nice grain hollow points it will do just as well in a life or death situation as any other. I also carry a beretta cougar 9mm which is a nice gun.
Just saying I've had a few of them. To be exact, I've had 2 9mm's and 2 40 cals. One of the 40's was the only one that never had issues. I found them to be finicky with ammo, and like you mentioned, the triggers aren't the best. Two of them were even sent back to S&W to be fixed (which they did for free and very promptly) I only bought them based on the price alone. They are a great gun for the money, but also so is the HiPoint 9mm, and you won't hear very good things about those either, because the gun snobs don't like guns that are priced under 300 dollars. That's all I'm saying. If the OP has a budget of around $500 I would buy a Glock/XD/Kahr/SP101/LCP, etc before I would recommend the Sigma. Just personal opinion, that's all. :beerchug:

G 26 - smaller means your likely to carry more and more comfortably. Glocks are second to nothing in terms of reliability and simplicity.

Get a good holster and go practice with the weapon - Alot... You have couple gun ranges nearby.

Good Luck

+1, Glock 26 9mm, dependable and indestructable, cheap ammo too. They run $500 to $550. Glock 27 is basically the same only a .40 caliber, a little heavier and alot more knock down power.

Not really a fair comparison. I was just making a case that based on SIMPLICITY of design and reliability. Yes they will misfire, but guess what? You just pull the trigger again and bang.. Unlike having to re-rack an automatic, etc. I wouldn't carry a revolver anyway, just making the point is all..

For concealed carry, you shouldn't really ever need more than 3 shots. Shot placement should be more important than shot quantity. Again, I'm not saying a revolver is the best choice, just that it IS a choice is all.. It does take forever to reload a revolver, and I don't think they are very comfy for carry, but the OP was looking for options, and options we shall give him..

Just saying I've had a few of them. To be exact, I've had 2 9mm's and 2 40 cals. One of the 40's was the only one that never had issues. I found them to be finicky with ammo, and like you mentioned, the triggers aren't the best. Two of them were even sent back to S&W to be fixed (which they did for free and very promptly) I only bought them based on the price alone. They are a great gun for the money, but also so is the HiPoint 9mm, and you won't hear very good things about those either, because the gun snobs don't like guns that are priced under 300 dollars. That's all I'm saying. If the OP has a budget of around $500 I would buy a Glock/XD/Kahr/SP101/LCP, etc before I would recommend the Sigma. Just personal opinion, that's all. :beerchug:

good points all... I really think were on the same page - Just banter to inform the question at hand...

I had 3 guns when I had my CCW in TX. All were excellent.

Ruger SP101, snubby, bobbed hammer, in 357 mag.
Kimber Stainless Ultra Carry II.
Springfield XD Subcompact 9mm.

The Kimber was my favorite and by far the best shooter. The Ruger was bulletproof and uber reliable. The Springfield was light and handy.

Once you go 1911 you'll never go back.

I always wondered! Why are "Hi Point" firearms so cheap? I know they are heavy than your regular firearm at least that's what I've heard. Are they not dependable?

i have a hipoint 9mm (glock knock off) that is ok. though a full mag for a year or two (plus whatever before i bought the gun) wore out the spring in the clip, so now it jams after each shot. easy fix, just haven't cared enough.
i currently carry a bersa .380
very accurate gun for the size and i can conceal it with no problems despite my tall and skinny frame. best bang for the buck (pun intended) for smaller sized guns. though for anyone it's best to shoot a few different ones and see which works best for you. i personally didn't have $500 to spend so i went with the $300 bersa and have been very happy with it

right now I have it narrowed down between the Ruger Lcp 380 and the Taurus 738 380 tcp. I myself don't have $500 and $600 to spend on a gun cause if I did I would be getting the xdm 40 compact.

i have a hipoint 9mm (glock knock off) that is ok. though a full mag for a year or two (plus whatever before i bought the gun) wore out the spring in the clip, so now it jams after each shot. easy fix, just haven't cared enough.
i currently carry a bersa .380
very accurate gun for the size and i can conceal it with no problems despite my tall and skinny frame. best bang for the buck (pun intended) for smaller sized guns. though for anyone it's best to shoot a few different ones and see which works best for you. i personally didn't have $500 to spend so i went with the $300 bersa and have been very happy with it

I guess it really is a reason why they have a life time warranty! :whistle:

right now I have it narrowed down between the Ruger Lcp 380 and the Taurus 738 380 tcp. I myself don't have $500 and $600 to spend on a gun cause if I did I would be getting the xdm 40 compact.

Get the Ruger. I bought a Tarus once. What a POS. It jammed constantly. The mag was always falling out too. They make cheap knockoffs. If you ever need it, you'll be glad you spent the extra $150.

well i gotta say that to me the glock is the best yet, although as long as you have ammunition and your gun fires, you should have no problem defending yourself in most situations unless you've made enemies with people with heavy firepower LOL! but the glock 23, or 27 .40 cal is the best thing to me. never need to worry about jamming or scaring somebody off when you let one off!

Back